Xp is the best windows

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
It does what i need it to do w/o stupid frills.

Comments

• jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited July 2010
    Totally. its what i run. vista just pisses me off and 7 didnt look any better.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    I prefer Windows 7 mainly because of WDDM 1.1 support. [Better media support]
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've failed to see any extra beneficial features in anything after XP tbh; only minor annoyances.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    I prefer Windows 7 mainly because of WDDM 1.1 support. [Better media support]

What's WDDM?

I'm considering switching from XP to 7 because apparently 7 has good multicore support, and I have 8 cores if you include hyperthreading :cool:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Cain wrote: »
    What's WDDM?

I'm considering switching from XP to 7 because apparently 7 has good multicore support, and I have 8 cores if you include hyperthreading :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    Sounds good...if I can find a way to get it to support my dialup modem, I'll torrent and switch.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm an Apple guy, and and I do own a windows box. However, the OS and monitor (old dell CRT in an original iMac case; see my thread in COM) is modified to look like a Macintosh. XP has plenty of programs that allowed me to accomplish this, and it does everything I would need this system to do.
  • st3vest3ve Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    and helen keller is the best retard
  • edited July 2010
    I'm running XP SP2 right now. Duo core only so I have no need for anything better.
    One of these days, Ima try Linux.
  • st3vest3ve Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I'm running XP SP2 right now. Duo core only so I have no need for anything better.
    One of these days, Ima try Linux.

Do it nao. Live CD or USB and you can reboot like nothing ever happened if you don't like it.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited July 2010
    I might get a lot of flak for this, but I think right now, Vista is the most stable Windows OS.

Not Seven because it's too new. It still has a couple bugs which Vista used to have but have been fixed.

Not XP because it's too old and running it is pretty much a security flaw in it's own. Yes, after six years and three servicepacks, the come-and-hack-me piece of shit XP was when it came out at first (does anybody actually remember what it was like to run XP before the first service pack? SLOOOOW, buggy, weekly blue screen of death) had evolved into a pretty decent OS. But I never liked it, and I never liked the default XP theme either.

Vista had a couple major flaws at first, but since it's second servicepack, it kicks the butt of XP in every way, except for hardware with less than 2 gigs of RAM. Current Vista is actually a good OS if you take the time to learn how to use it. I've been running it for three years now, and my last format was a year ago (and was because I was fucking my partitions up, not because of Vista) and my computer still runs silky smooth.

Nonetheless, if you're buying a new computer / Windows license, there's no doubt you should buy Seven. At the moment it's a little less stable than Vista, but Seven is the future. But if you're running Vista, there's no need to upgrade just to get a stable OS, learning how to configure Vista properly will do.
  • The ExplanationThe Explanation Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    st3ve wrote: »
    Do it nao. Live CD or USB and you can reboot like nothing ever happened if you don't like it.

This
    Amie wrote: »
    I might get a lot of flak for this, but I think right now, Vista is the most stable Windows OS.

Not Seven because it's too new. It still has a couple bugs which Vista used to have but have been fixed.

Not XP because it's too old and running it is pretty much a security flaw in it's own. Yes, after six years and three servicepacks, the come-and-hack-me piece of shit XP was when it came out at first (does anybody actually remember what it was like to run XP before the first service pack? SLOOOOW, buggy, weekly blue screen of death) had evolved into a pretty decent OS. But I never liked it, and I never liked the default XP theme either.

Vista had a couple major flaws at first, but since it's second servicepack, it kicks the butt of XP in every way, except for hardware with less than 2 gigs of RAM. Current Vista is actually a good OS if you take the time to learn how to use it. I've been running it for three years now, and my last format was a year ago (and was because I was fucking my partitions up, not because of Vista) and my computer still runs silky smooth.

Nonetheless, if you're buying a new computer / Windows license, there's no doubt you should buy Seven. At the moment it's a little less stable than Vista, but Seven is the future. But if you're running Vista, there's no need to upgrade just to get a stable OS, learning how to configure Vista properly will do.

Believe it or not, I agree with you. I think it is hit or miss sometimes with different hardware, though. My laptop runs great with it, and yet I've never been able to get it running decently, and it is more powerful on paper than my laptop.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    XP's always been a pain in the ass. It's so vulnerable, to ANYTHING. I remember visiting Warez-bb on a freshly formatted XP, a pop-up destroyed it. I don't understand why people go with the general flow and trash on Vista. It's been quite successful as an operating system, and possible the easiest to crack.

7's just XP with a shit ton of security flaws fixed and a new interface slapped on it.
  • megamanmegaman Acolyte
    edited July 2010

what do you think a good distro to try out would be i tried ubuntu and it was all right though it seemed a little dumbed down for a lack of better words and then i tried damn small linux which ran fast as fuck no matter how many things i ran but was ugly and unpractical. I'm consdeing make a 5 gb partion in my computer for linux to try it out a little more so then just a live cd
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    hello savages_viper.
  • megamanmegaman Acolyte
    edited July 2010

what do you think a good distro to try out would be i tried ubuntu and it was all right though it seemed a little dumbed down for a lack of better words and then i tried damn small linux which ran fast as fuck no matter how many things i ran but was ugly and unpractical. I'm considering make a 5 gb partion in my computer for linux to try it out a little more so then just a live cd
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Believe it or not, I agree with you. I think it is hit or miss sometimes with different hardware, though. My laptop runs great with it, and yet I've never been able to get it running decently, and it is more powerful on paper than my laptop.

Have you tried Iobit Advanced Systemcare and Smart Defrag (free edition's good enough for both) yet? It's incredible the difference ASC and a deep optimize defragmentation of your system partition make on most computers. Then you could try turning off unnecessary services yourself (but don't go overboard with that or you'll break things). For example, after ASC worked it's magic, the tablet PC's services were still turned on (on a laptop without touchscreen), so I turned them off, made it feel still a little snappier.
    megaman wrote: »
    what do you think a good distro to try out would be i tried ubuntu and it was all right though it seemed a little dumbed down for a lack of better words and then i tried damn small linux which ran fast as fuck no matter how many things i ran but was ugly and unpractical. I'm considering make a 5 gb partion in my computer for linux to try it out a little more so then just a live cd

I would suggest Crunchbang linux (#!). It's basically a faster ubuntu with less "holding hands". Not a very advanced GUI, but better than the last time I used damn small linux, and #! doesn't focus on being damn small, but on being fast and useable. Although it is officially unstable, in my experience it has less bugs than most ubuntu-deratives.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    and helen keller is the best retard

what? she is. and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

im using xp on my desktop and 7 on my netbook.

7 aint that bad, and with xp getting more outdated by the day, 7 is a good substitute.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm currently using 7 on my desktop. I prefer the UI over that of XP or Vista, and I'm loving the DX10/11 support. My framerates also bumped up with the switch to 7, for some reason.
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    There's really no reason to upgrade to 7 if you've got Vista. It's mind-boggling how many people heap praise on 7 after writing Vista off, considering how little has really changed.

Don't agree to be honest. There's no reason not to upgrade I would say since everything Vista can do 7 does better. Plus I haven't had a single BSOD since I installed Windows 7 7/8 months ago.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    7 is much, much better than Vista. I agree XP is awesome though.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Vermicide wrote: »
    Don't agree to be honest. There's no reason not to upgrade I would say since everything Vista can do 7 does better. Plus I haven't had a single BSOD since I installed Windows 7 7/8 months ago.

Here's a reason NOT to upgrade: Money. It would be a waste of money. If you have decent hardware and take the time to configure your OS, upgrading to seven is not worth the money IMO.

If you're buying a new computer, I agree an OEM licence of Seven is the way to go.

Plus, the only blue screen I ever got in three years of using Vista was when my GPU fried, and it was followed very quickly by a black screen, so I can live with that.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm running Win 7 64bit on my new laptop (core i5, 4gb DDR3). I had a laptop I got in '07 with a dual core 1.46ghz processor and 1gb (I upgraded to 2gb) DDR2 and Vista 32 bit. Honestly, Vista was fine. I never understood why people bitched about it. Apparently they had old ass systems or were unable to run msconfig to turn off startup programs. It started up and shut down fine, never had any problems with security or BSOD. I don't know what people are doing to make their computers crash so often. If someone could explain why vista sucked I'd like to know, because it was fine for me for about 3 years.

7, however, is a lot faster for startup/shutdown. My old hdd and new one are both 5400rpm, so I'm imagining the difference is due to the OS more than the hdd. 7 is supposedly more secure as well. It looks better than vista, I guess. Things run faster because I have a much better processor. Overall 7 seems better than vista.

There's no way I'd be running xp in 2010. The OS is too old, too insecure. If I didn't want to buy a copy of 7, I'd be on a linux distro instead, probably ubuntu for simplicity's sake. The computers at my school use xp. They're shit. The OS is shit. They take forever to do anything. They take forever to startup/shutdown or even open firefox. It's ridiculous. I remember when xp was decent. This was years ago. It's time to upgrade or get linux. My school offers copies of win 7 for $10. Other universities do as well.
    edited July 2010
    Well, i see no reason to upgrade just yet. When photoshop drops support for xp, then i'll do it.
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    Amie wrote: »
    Here's a reason NOT to upgrade: Money..

Meh... people pay for windows?
    edited July 2010
    SHIT

I will have to upgrade when USB 3.0 comes out. :mad:
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited July 2010
    NT 3.51 motherfuckers :cool:
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, XP is the shit. I use Vista now, it's not bad, but I had less trouble with XP. Not just compatibility, all sorts of shit.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    '98 was really much better.
  • edited August 2010