Fixing/Modifying Glass Pieces.

HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
So, if anyone remembers when I broke the carb area on my bubbler a few months ago, I used a rubber band to hold it in and no problems arose. Well, part of it broke again. So I have two questions.

1. What is the best, easily available smoking/heat safe glue? The down stem crack completely around the bowl and fell in. The glass still lines up and its not shattered. I would like to just hold it up and glue it back into place, but all I have at my house currently is gorilla glue, which I doubt is heat/smoking safe.

2. I have a few coke bottles I was thinking about making into a novelty bong. I was thinking of just putting a stem/slider in the side, but I don't know how to cut a section out of the glass without shattering it. This question isn't as important, it probably belongs in DYI.

Don't just tell me to pitch it, I'm thinking about it, but I'd like to attempt to fix it first. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    So, if anyone remembers when I broke the carb area on my bubbler a few months ago, I used a rubber band to hold it in and no problems arose. Well, part of it broke again. So I have two questions.

1. What is the best, easily available smoking/heat safe glue? The down stem crack completely around the bowl and fell in. The glass still lines up and its not shattered. I would like to just hold it up and glue it back into place, but all I have at my house currently is gorilla glue, which I doubt is heat/smoking safe.

2. I have a few coke bottles I was thinking about making into a novelty bong. I was thinking of just putting a stem/slider in the side, but I don't know how to cut a section out of the glass without shattering it. This question isn't as important, it probably belongs in DYI.

Don't just tell me to pitch it, I'm thinking about it, but I'd like to attempt to fix it first. Any help is appreciated.

When drilling any glass be sure to consistently and constantly wet it while drilling and sand afterwards. Look up "drill a glass bottle" for more in-depth instructions
  • ApolloApollo Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    I've rebuilt four pipes and two bongs with industrial grade epoxy. I bought it at Lowe's for like 20 bucks. It consists of a resin you mix with a hardener, and it is powerful stuff. If you do decide to go with epoxy, keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs/q-tips handy; you need a mild solvent like IPA to remove excess glue before it sets permanently.

As for safety, I've never noticed any problems with the smoke or the pipe. No bad tastes or funky smells or anything like that. Even the completely shattered bong I spent two days rebuilding smokes great, and I used an entire epoxy bottle on that bitch.
  • edited August 2010
    Apollo wrote: »
    I've rebuilt four pipes and two bongs with industrial grade epoxy. I bought it at Lowe's for like 20 bucks. It consists of a resin you mix with a hardener, and it is powerful stuff. If you do decide to go with epoxy, keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs/q-tips handy; you need a mild solvent like IPA to remove excess glue before it sets permanently.

As for safety, I've never noticed any problems with the smoke or the pipe. No bad tastes or funky smells or anything like that. Even the completely shattered bong I spent two days rebuilding smokes great, and I used an entire epoxy bottle on that bitch.

As long as epoxy doesn't get really, really hot, it'll be fine.
  • HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited August 2010
    As long as epoxy doesn't get really, really hot, it'll be fine.

Could I have the lighter hit it while smoking?
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    What about having a glass blower met a mouth piece back to a bubbler, I spent to much cash on it to throw it away, I need someone to melt them back together if its at all possible.

Goggle time.
  • edited August 2010
    FrY wrote: »
    What about having a glass blower met a mouth piece back to a bubbler, I spent to much cash on it to throw it away, I need someone to melt them back together if its at all possible.

Goggle time.

Why don't you ask one of the glassblowers on etsy.com?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/40199726/handblown-glass-yellow-parrot-bird-pipe?ref=cat2_gallery_12

Example
  • edited August 2010
    Could I have the lighter hit it while smoking?

I'd guess not, but who knows.

Maybe you only use epoxy on the parts that won't come in direct contact with the flame?
  • edited August 2010
    I'd guess not, but who knows.

Maybe you only use epoxy on the parts that won't come in direct contact with the flame?

When using epoxy, be sure to let that shit cure for at least 24-48 hours depending on the formula.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The primary risk associated with epoxy use is sensitization to the hardener, which, over time, can induce an allergic reaction. It is a main source of occupational asthma among users of plastics.[10] Bisphenol A, which is used in epoxy resin, is a known endocrine disruptor.