Casio Pianos?

Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I'm pretty much convinced due to experience and hearsay that these digital pianos are about the best around. Anybody have any comments which would support or detract from this assumption??

I am wondering for personal reasons and also because I'm wondering how good this specific one that I was playing at my cousin's house is. It sounded pretty fuckin good. Didn't know the name til I found a pic but it is the
casio-px-120-digital-piano.jpg
Casio px120 digital piano :o

Anybody got one for that matter?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    I play a grand, but I was looking at digitals not too long ago for a friend. From what the piano store people say and taking a basic playthrough, Roland and Yamaha are cream of the crop. Casio are good value for anybody looking to start playing piano.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Are they the cheapest pianos of decent quality that you know of? I don't pass judgment on these things but the piano I played looked to be of not very expensive construction, the feel of the keys seemed to be correct as per in accordance with a regular piano and it sounded pretty tight, but just like the materials used such as the wood and plastics didn't seem to be hand tailored or anything like that.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I got a Casio, I ended up returning it because I had no time to play it. Overall I really enjoyed it-- good for the price.

I ended up getting a yamaha on special because I was poor and it had a USB. The casio did not have a USB (which is what I needed) and the MIDI to USB cable I had didn't work at all.

Overall I think Casio's are great from my experience.
    edited July 2010
    Yeah more or less. Casio pianos sound and feel relatively cheap. I know that for piano examinations in Canada, they offer Roland digitals as an alternative to Steinway or Yamaha grands, so that's gotta say something about quality. Casio would be fine if you're starting out and not sure how far you'll go. Otherwise, probably shell out a few extra bucks for one that'll last you longer.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yea plus I wanna take it up on a stage so I'm not gonna skimp on the price, good point brah.
  • corduroycorduroy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    If you're gonna be playing it live then you might wanna get a stage piano; way easier to carry around. Ultimately it doesn't really matter what kind of digital piano you get, as long as it has weighted keys and you like the sound.

This is what I play live, and I've had only good experiences:
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=64572
  • Wires dead babyWires dead baby Acolyte
    edited July 2010
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Digital pianos suck until you get into the $1500+ range. The Kawai ES-6 is a nice one for home, but it wouldn't be good for a stage setup. I recommend this: http://www.kawai.de/mp8ii_en.htm. The Kawai MP8 ii is badass. I prefer the Kawai action over that of Korg or Roland. I've played for 16 years, so I know a bit about touch. However, it really depends on what you like best. Go to a Kawai retailer and check out their nice digital pianos. If you're looking for a stage one they usually go for ~$2000. Yeah, it's a hell of a lot of money, and you might want to get something cheaper, but if you want top quality, that's pretty much how all good ones cost. It seems there are tiers: <$1000 (crap), $1000-1500 (ok, some don't have models in this range. Kawai doesn't.), $1500 (here's where they get good, basically), $2000 (better), $2500-3000+ (more or less the best.)

I suggest if you're going to take it on stage you'll want to buy one that isn't super heavy. Get one that detaches from its stand, obviously.

Take my views with a grain of salt. I'm going to buy a Kawai ES-6 since I live in an apt and don't have room for a real piano. I won't be playing on stage. Yeah, it costs $1500, but it has a wonderful action and each key has something like 16 sounds. By that I mean how hard/soft you hit the key will result in 16 possible sound levels. My brother got a Yamaha YPG-35 I think it was. His is good, but it's not really professional quality, and not really a stage piano. It's great for home use, though, and cost $800.
    edited July 2010
    OP, if youre gonna take it on stage, make sure you know your shit inside and out. That means music theory and whatever youre playing. You should be able to do arpeggios :mad:
    edited July 2010
    Nightside wrote: »
    OP, if youre gonna take it on stage, make sure you know your shit inside and out. That means music theory and whatever youre playing. You should be able to do arpeggios :mad:

I always get pissed off when I look at my book of piano technics. Sure they're important to master, but all those years of mindlessly playing them over and over again :mad:
  • edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Digital pianos suck until you get into the $1500+ range. The Kawai ES-6 is a nice one for home, but it wouldn't be good for a stage setup. I recommend this: http://www.kawai.de/mp8ii_en.htm. The Kawai MP8 ii is badass. I prefer the Kawai action over that of Korg or Roland. I've played for 16 years, so I know a bit about touch. However, it really depends on what you like best. Go to a Kawai retailer and check out their nice digital pianos. If you're looking for a stage one they usually go for ~$2000. Yeah, it's a hell of a lot of money, and you might want to get something cheaper, but if you want top quality, that's pretty much how all good ones cost. It seems there are tiers: <$1000 (crap), $1000-1500 (ok, some don't have models in this range. Kawai doesn't.), $1500 (here's where they get good, basically), $2000 (better), $2500-3000+ (more or less the best.)

I suggest if you're going to take it on stage you'll want to buy one that isn't super heavy. Get one that detaches from its stand, obviously.

Take my views with a grain of salt. I'm going to buy a Kawai ES-6 since I live in an apt and don't have room for a real piano. I won't be playing on stage. Yeah, it costs $1500, but it has a wonderful action and each key has something like 16 sounds. By that I mean how hard/soft you hit the key will result in 16 possible sound levels. My brother got a Yamaha YPG-35 I think it was. His is good, but it's not really professional quality, and not really a stage piano. It's great for home use, though, and cost $800.

For true musicianship, I agree a sensitive instrument is required. Note articulation and proper dynamics make the piece.
  • wolfiewolfie Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »

You've got me interested in trying a Kawai digital now, even though that's way out of my price range for awhile. I grew up training on a good quality kawaii upright piano (and a steinway grand for awhile, my mom used to drive me over to the church to practice because she insisted it was essential for developing technique), so I'm sentimental about the name anyway, but haven't had a chance to try a digital.

My friend was picking between a casio and a yamaha around the $800 range and had me come over and test them both out, and i ended up advising him to go with the yamaha- I thought it responded a bit better, plus it had way more features. At home there's a korg sp-250 that I use occasionally for recording even though it's not mine and it bothers me how much discrepancy there is between the sounds that come out and what my fingers are actually playing. Especially if I've recently played the upright, it's night and day.

16 sounds for each key still seems limiting, though.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    16 sounds is probably about what you get out of a normal piano. It's basically PPP-FFF. The neat thing about the 2 Kawai digital pianos I played was that they responded really well to pressure. 16 levels might sound limiting, but in reality it's not. It takes a really high level of skill to consistently play with that kind of exact pressure.

I shouldn't have said sounds. The keyboard I played had lots of instruments and sounds; I was referring to the dynamics: how much pressure you use results in 16 or so possible volumes.

I got to play on a Steinway baby grand for a few years. It's really hard to beat a badass piano.
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    I always get pissed off when I look at my book of piano technics. Sure they're important to master, but all those years of mindlessly playing them over and over again :mad:

I agree that it TRULY SUCKS :(

But... the reason why I got as good as I did (on another instrument) is that the thought of "when i can do that technique I will be viewed as a GOD among my peers and even others". That drove me to new heights