Antipsychotics make you dumb and shrink your brain.

ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
And people wonder why I talk so much shit about antipsychotics. lol:
A leading antipsychotic drug temporarily reduces the size of a brain region that controls movement and coordination, causing distressing side effects such as shaking, drooling and restless leg syndrome.
Just two hours after injection with haloperidol, an antipsychotic commonly prescribed to treat schizophrenia, healthy volunteers experienced impaired motor abilities that coincided with diminished grey-matter volume in the striatum1 — a brain region that mediates movement.
"We've seen changes in the brain before, but to see significant remodelling of the striatum within a couple of hours is staggering," says Clare Parish at the Howard Florey Institute for brain research in Melbourne, Australia, who was not involved in the study. "Our viewpoint was that only chemical changes would happen in such a short time."
In functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scans the authors observed the participants' striatal volume diminishing and changes to the structure of the motor circuitry in their brains. Further, their reaction times slowed in a computer test taken after the treatment, indicating the onset of lapses in motor control that affect many patients on antipsychotics.
Dopamine downsizing

Haloperidol has a number of side effects, although many of these are minor and recede within weeks of starting treatment. With few better alternatives, psychiatrists have prescribed the drug for more than 40 years to treat people suffering from hallucinations, delirium, delusions and hyperactivity.
Like most antipsychotics, haloperidol blocks the D2 receptor, which is sensitive to dopamine. The drug stifles the elevated dopamine activity that is thought to underlie psychosis. D2 receptors are abundant in the striatum, where their activity regulates gene expression. But, until now, no one knew that blocking the receptors would rapidly alter the brain's physical structure.

read moar

the only answer is to get rid of orthodox psychiatric medicine, get people into ethnobotanicals & psychedelics, and make nootropics OTC.

Comments

• jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    I've never read much on them but based on the effects I've seen from people using them as medication or trying to get fucked up off them(lawl) I would say that sounds about right.

Zombie mode at its finest. I will never touch an anti-psychotic in my life.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited August 2010
    Anti psychotic medications are like chemo to cancer... it's not a bandaid nor cure.

Sometimes it may help the person, but if they're so fucked up that htey need medication for life-- then there going to suffer really either way until death unless someone fixes their problem.

usually its something stupidly simple like an nutrient deficiency or a virus/yeast. Some are unfortunate and do have actual mental issues where these drugs help though.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    I know someone who takes rispradol SP?, and it makes the sleep talk all night every fucking night, shit is odd.
  • edited August 2010
    yeah my brother went crazy one time and they put him on some shit that made him all zombified. He was drooling and everything. Bad shit man.