Inception

PigPig Regular
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Really, no one's made a thread about this.

If you haven't seen it, Inception is a film directed by Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight director), starring Leonardo Di Caprio and Ellen Page. It's a psychoanalytical movie of corporate espionage, where people are trained to enter your dreams and either steal or plant ideas.

As much as I don't like Leo diCaprio, he did his role pretty damn well, but the entire rest of the movie shone like an absolute masterpiece of CGI. It was a visual orgasm, as you see from the commercials, with the entire fucking city of Paris rolling back on itself. When that happened, you could hear the gasps in the movie theater.

Of course, the last couple seconds of the ending kinda fucked up everything up.

Thoughts?

Comments

• GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Right now it has a rating of 9.3 on imdb :eek: (albeit 5k votes).

Definitely going to watch next week. I've heard nothing but good things.
  • AtLeast2TitzAtLeast2Titz New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I checked imdb earlier today to watch the trailers and was really surprised by the rating also. im going to watch it today in town with the gf; cant wait ;)
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    When you go to see it, two pieces of advice:

1. Pay attention to everything. If you get lost, you'll be screwed as to the rest of the plot.
    2. The beginning is confusing. Disregard it.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    How good is the CG? I really want to see it but I might just pirate it. Is it worth going to the movie theatre?
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I normally just pirate, but I think it was worth seeing in the theater.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    Seeing it tonight! It's cool how they used as few special effects as they could (at least from what I've heard) like the room spinning fight.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Dammit, I knew I forgot some movie. I add this movie to watch list but I think I moved the list somewhere. I will download it ASAP.

Thanks for this thread.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2010
    Definitely want to see this. Nolan is rapidly becoming one of my favorite modern directors, I'm sure this movie won't disappoint.

Plus I like Leo. He was awesome in Titanic, the Departed, and a couple other films.
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited July 2010
    Should I get baked and go see it?
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I've been pretty excited to see this movie since seeing the trailer in the cinema. Unfortunately movies come out like 1 month after the North American release, fuckin' annoying! It hasn't even been released here yet.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought it was awesome. Very similar to Shutter Island in a lot of ways, but still very very good.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    It was fucking sick! Similar to Shutter Island, the Matrix series, and even has a bit of a James Bond feel to it. But also its something completely original its hard to describe or put in any kind of category, you just have to see it for yourself.
  • trickstertrickster Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Great movie, I'm still untying the knots it left in my brain. The ending really got me questioning everything else, but I don't think it's what it seems, or seems to seem like, or tries to seem like it's seeming like, or whatever. I'm gonna have to watch it again to sort out all the details of why I think what I think though.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    Found any decent copies on the torrents anyone? I'm too poor for cinema and too impatient to wait.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    There's a horrible cyberteam cam on torrents. You're better off watching in on the big screen.
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Just watch this in the theater.

My impression : awesome, good story plot, nice character, and perfect visuals (Not too over the top but not shitty either). Still if I have to rate I give it B++. This movie is definitely a good theater movie but during watching it I have this odd feeling. The ending and the great twist is predictable. (Saito dying and the connection to the beginning to the movie, the spinning-top)

It seems the director want to give a movie with some twist. Well it kinda failed in my opinion. The totem Cob had that keep spinning suppose to give audiences question regarding the meaning of the ending. It kinda work but shutter island has done it in a better way.

The character itself even though the actors has done great job on them they are still not really like-able. I usually remember the character name if the movie left a great impressions on me but well.......

Overall : Nice movie. Very enjoyable and I highly recommend you to watch it in theater but it is still not a masterpiece. There is something this movie lack to be called as masterpiece that I don't really know what it is.
    edited July 2010
    It has 40k votes now and it's still 9.3. Also the regular voters gave it 9.1 which is tied #1 with Shawshank redemption and Godfather :O
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2010
    Rotten Tomatoes makes me mad. I find it hard to believe that someone didn't like this movie. This movie had me anticipating what happened next unlike a lot of other movies
  • edited July 2010
    The ending of the movie made the whole cinema shout oh "OH WHAAAAAT", it was great. No spoilers here though ;)

Definitely one to see. Just pay attention for the whole thing, or you WILL lose it.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    I need to see this movie again due to it's awesomeness. I fucking hated those last cryptic seconds. FUCK. :mad: Why oh why?
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Why did everyone hates the ending?
    It's a nice happy ending. He get back to his kids at last
    edited July 2010
    Nolan is gonna be one of the best directors. Memento and The prestige are awesome, and would be worth your time if you haven't seen them.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dying to see this shit. Guess I'll torrent it when some devent verzhuns come out.
    edited July 2010
    Go see it. You'll regret not seeing it in theaters. It's a big movie.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
  • SteppenwolfSteppenwolf Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    The film actually showcases a pretty star-studded cast that complement each other well, I can't say the same for Expendables when that'll be released though. It seems like it'll be the clash of the ego's, and those dudes are only good for melodramatic non-sequitors. But I digress, the movie's as gripping as the Matrix, and is an intellectual exercise that leaves your brain abuzz afterward. Bring a friend to the cinema, don't torrent it and become a confirmed faggot. If you're with people then you can discuss the complexities of this movie, because the ending is super ambigious and up for debate, but it's your call really. Definitely recommended.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got back from seeing it a second time... this round, IMAX edition. Even better. I figure I'd spend money on this movie to make up for all the pirating I've done over the years.

Leo is my favorite actor and Nolan is quickly becoming my top 5 for directors.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Watched the late-night screening of it last night, and as I drove home, I was watching out for projections. Then had some nice dreams. It's a great movie to go to sleep to. I've heard people say it's confusing, but it really isn't as long as you pay attention to the movie.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    It was very confusing, but it all made sense in the end

SPOILERS

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVvv

The whole movie was Mals Dream.
    Mal was right, and Cobb was wrong.
    Cobb said that he has done inception, and the sleep thing with his wife. It is possible that he has done inception on himself, thinking that he is in reality, but actually inside mals dream. Is it possible that he could lose track of reality? Possibly. Mal could have known it wasn't reality, so she decided to kill herself, and what she left was a totem. This is Mals totem however. Cobb advised the new girl to make her own totem so he doesn't know how it works......think about it.

Also, remember when Cobb was trying to teach the girl about how the "dream world" works? how they can't create too many things or people will turn on them? So when he went to mumbasa, he was trying to create another level of dream, people were turning on him. This could only mean that he is in another dream.

This means that all of the characters, were projections of the dream. This is clearly visible as you see the Dradle did not fall to the ground. But in the end, it does not matter if it's reality or dreaming, he gets to be with his kids.

I know this may be confusing, but if anyone has any questions let me know
    edited July 2010
    If he planted the idea he would know about it.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    How could it be Mal's dream if she's dead?
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited July 2010
    I saw the movie last weekend and though it was fucking amazing, I saw it baked out of my mind
    edited August 2010
    Saw it today. It was good, I enjoyed it, but only because I am ignoring all of my little gripes.

They're in the dream for 50 years, get old, and then kill themselves by train. But when they put their heads on the tracks, they're young again. "ZOMG YOU DON'T GETZOR IT, ITS A PROJECTION OF THEMSELVES" is the response I imagine to get but blergh.

Why was Fischer in the fourth level? Did they all enter limbo? Is everyone who is in limbo connected to the shared dream machine?

Also, for the first 20 mins all I could think was 'The Matrix'. Plugging into a machine and then appearing in another reality? In this other reality are guys looking to kill you (Agents, Projections). But once the plot thickened with the suicide and stuff I started to get into it.

College Humour, as much as I hate it, summed up what half of me was thinking. Especially the maze bit. I understood the plot, but it seems like sometimes they were put there just for the sake of action. The 'projections' seemed rather hostile and only there to relate to the majority audience.

Also, Metal Gear Solid at the snow base? Anyone? Even my girlfriend mentioned it!

Overall, good movie, as long as I ignored some things.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    That College Humor was beautiful, thank you. They did address a lot of good points that I didn't think of, and now I'm tempted to go see the movie again.

So how did Arthur really shapeshift? I didn't think about all these points when I watched it at first.
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    So how did Arthur really shapeshift?

He didn't shapeshift it was in a dream. He mimicked the guy who he was impersonating enough so that Fischer thought it was him in the dream.

It still never made much sense but I felt the film was like "This is beyond your comprehension, just go with it" which is what the college humour video highlighted.

I think it's down to the film makers introducing the concept of dream hacking too quickly and there were so many obvious lines that were put in prompting explanation. I know this is how cinema works but they were so obvious; take the girl for example, they just threw her in as the 'noob' who could relate to the audience. The concepts were explained to her (the audience) and the film proceeded. She was in no way qualified to do what they were asking and the script was just like:
    "lol, here is a girl, she's the best in her class."
    "Draw me a maze,
    Wrong,
    Wrong,
    Ok good, would you like to come and do the most complicated and illegal task ever to be set on someone with our skills because you achieved 1/3"

I know this is how all films work but I hate it when it's obvious.
    edited August 2010
    BaconPie wrote: »
    He didn't shapeshift it was in a dream. He mimicked the guy who he was impersonating enough so that Fischer thought it was him in the dream.

It still never made much sense but I felt the film was like "This is beyond your comprehension, just go with it" which is what the college humour video highlighted.

I think it's down to the film makers introducing the concept of dream hacking too quickly and there were so many obvious lines that were put in prompting explanation. I know this is how cinema works but they were so obvious; take the girl for example, they just threw her in as the 'noob' who could relate to the audience. The concepts were explained to her (the audience) and the film proceeded. She was in no way qualified to do what they were asking and the script was just like:
    "lol, here is a girl, she's the best in her class."
    "Draw me a maze,
    Wrong,
    Wrong,
    Ok good, would you like to come and do the most complicated and illegal task ever to be set on someone with our skills because you achieved 1/3"

I know this is how all films work but I hate it when it's obvious.

SPOILERS

It's things like that that really make me agree with the assessment that the whole thing is a dream of someone presumably Cobb but not necessarily. I mean when you think about all of the sorta odd things that happen in "reality" that make no sense and have an almost deliberate lack of explanation makes me think it's all a dream. For instance, the flight attendant. Yeah, sure, Saito bought the airline. But would they really bring random chick in on it, and her seemingly and professionally know how to do everything with something that's probably complex? I don't know. That and the fact that Fischer didn't recognize Saito further reinforces that.
    edited August 2010
    But that's a a bit of a cop out don't you think? "Oh it was all a dream, so, so you can ignore all of the mistakes and continuity errors."

"... and it was all a dream" is a technique I was explicitly told not to do in my 4th year of primary school. It's cheap.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought it was funny they were asleep for most of the film.
    edited August 2010
    But that's a a bit of a cop out don't you think? "Oh it was all a dream, so, so you can ignore all of the mistakes and continuity errors."

"... and it was all a dream" is a technique I was explicitly told not to do in my 4th year of primary school. It's cheap.

Well I'm of two minds. Part of me agrees with you: it seems a cheap way out.

However, the other part of me likes all of the mistakes. It makes the whole movie disjointed, vague...yes, almost dreamlike. Like with that flight attendant. Out of nowhere, this completely unexplained and random woman helps them with this technical process like a pro. It's subtle, but it made that whole scene and the continuity jumble up a bit.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe I should see it at the theaters, I have watched it a few times streamed on Divx. I understand the whole movie but the quality of the visual recording made it look cheesey.

I would imagine the surrealism on a movie screen outweighs a laptop any day when it comes to becoming more absorbed into the film, almost like you are taking part in the movie...
    edited August 2010
    Saw it today. It was good, I enjoyed it, but only because I am ignoring all of my little gripes.

They're in the dream for 50 years, get old, and then kill themselves by train. But when they put their heads on the tracks, they're young again. "ZOMG YOU DON'T GETZOR IT, ITS A PROJECTION OF THEMSELVES" is the response I imagine to get but blergh.
    In the first train scene they're young but in the second they're old.
    Why was Fischer in the fourth level? Did they all enter limbo? Is everyone who is in limbo connected to the shared dream machine?
    The first three levels aren't limbo. Seito went into limbo because he died in the dream under the heavy sedative and Dom went after him to try and bring him back. The rest of them never entered limbo because they were woken by the kicks whereas Dom went back although in doing so had more time to bring Seito back with him before the kick woke them up. Fischer only died in the third level, so in the first two dream levels he was fine where as Seito was shot in the first and if revived into the second level would still be dying.
    Also, for the first 20 mins all I could think was 'The Matrix'. Plugging into a machine and then appearing in another reality? In this other reality are guys looking to kill you (Agents, Projections). But once the plot thickened with the suicide and stuff I started to get into it.
    All they did was use sedatives to get them to sleep and stay asleep.
    College Humour, as much as I hate it, summed up what half of me was thinking. Especially the maze bit. I understood the plot, but it seems like sometimes they were put there just for the sake of action. The 'projections' seemed rather hostile and only there to relate to the majority audience.
    The projections were hostile to change (in their own dreams). If you're referring to the "enemies" it's because they were Fischer's defence mechanisms trying to protect him from the group of "inceptors".
    Also, Metal Gear Solid at the snow base? Anyone? Even my girlfriend mentioned it!

Overall, good movie, as long as I ignored some things.
    Kind of. Didn't really think of it while watching.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Finally watched it. It does live to its hype. Great movie.
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited November 2010
    Love it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Should have typed more about it but at 5:32 PM I was fucked up.
    What sets inception apart is the randomness of the plot, It's doesn't follow what we normally call a predictable plot. It's like a game with different levels but each time the player in this case the viewer has to remember things. Like how deep are we, how much time do we have? On top of that you have to deal with multiple dimensions and a different story in each level. If that's not enough, the visual aspect of this movie alone is ridiculous. Anyone who says Inception doesn't have much in the action department is a moron [someone I knew IRL].

I watched this in 480p and I regret doing it because as soon as the movie starts going down some levels you get to see some amazing visual eye candy, from building recreating itself to some mind blowing exploding effects. This movie is meant to be watched again and again.

Now, majority of viewers [mostly Pakistani I knew] couldn't understand this movie that I can blame on language barrier but mostly their lack of imagination. Most people aren't great with following a story and try to guess what's coming next, since most viewers watch movies in zombie mode which basically means they just watch it for fun and don't really think about it. You need a certain mindset to absorb or understand inception on the first go. Granted if you watch the movie [any movie] second time you notice major things like different dialogues some small things that you forgot, but most of the time you get the main story right.

Inception sort of mind fucks you, it tries to hide the main plot and throws the user in sub plots which completely confuse you if you're not paying attention. So, IMO case I had to use head phones and watch the whole movie with my mind open. That wasn't really necessary because the movie is very simple. I mean it's not like some difficult mystery or something really hard to grasp. It just has some depth and a dynamic plot. I blame the viewers for their lack of education or knowledge or experience.

So, all in all Inception is a joy ride which everyone should enjoy if they just pay some attention. It does have its mind fuck moments but if you keep things in perspective and only focus on the main story you can easily see where the movie is going on. And I did enjoy the ending since it keeps you guessing and you can make different interpretation of the ending easily.

Highly recommended and please:
    A) Use Headphones
    B) Watch in 720p or 1080p, anything else is just embarrassing.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    Inception was a great movie, I loved almost every single second of it. Some people say it's confusing, but it's really not if you pay attention. It's not one of those watch porn and fap while you watch movies. Understand the plot the first time, and any subsequent times you watch it, you can focus on everything else that's awesome :D
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited November 2010
    Still haven't watched it yet. Will do so when I can get a decent copy.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Inception in Real Time

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Anyone who doesn't get the story, just read this.

SPOILER!
    YWtU4.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    ^ That's fucking epic bro, I never really looked at it that way before :D