So I was walking to the store

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I saw this kid riding his tricycle all by himself. I looked around and there was nobody else in sight. He definitely didn't look old enough to be by himself, probably kindergarten age or something. I then heard a woman yelling and realized she was looking for her son, so I shouted out to her. She was grateful and I told her to be more careful.

This just got me thinking, if you were a parent, would you keep your kid on a leash (literally and metaphorically)? And how old would your kid have to be before you let them go out on their own?

I'd probably keep a really close eye for as long as I can, but without hindering my kid's need to explore. As for the age, I'd say maybe 23. Even then, I'd stick a GPS on him/her.

Comments

• NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't want kids. But if I ever had any, at a young age, you can bet your ass I'd keep a tight rein on them for sure, because little kids are dumb. I mean, they wander off, it's a scary experience, something could happen because they do something stupid and get hurt because they don't know any better. But as they got older, I think I'd give them a safe amount of freedom. I wouldn't just turn 'em loose, but I wouldn't lock them up in the house and never let them do ANYTHING like my parents have with me.

And after eighteen, their an adult. I feel like it'd be wrong to try and control any aspect of their life after that.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited August 2010
    ^ so if you your daughter grew up as a coke whore sucking dick for coke and taking it up the chillie ring you wouldn't intervene? :o you said any aspect of their life. i can see you would be a totally unfit mother and unfit mother.:o:o:o:o:o
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    blindbat wrote: »
    ^ so if you your daughter grew up as a coke whore sucking dick for coke and taking it up the chillie ring you wouldn't intervene? :o you said any aspect of their life. i can see you would be a totally unfit mother and unfit mother.:o:o:o:o:o

I CAN'T intervene. I can object, but they're an adult and LEGALLY they get to make they're own choices. I mean, I'll no longer be able to send her to her room, or anything. So there is only so much you CAN do.

But yes, I would be a totally unfit mother (and unfit mother??? redundant to the extreme.) Which is why I'm opting to never have kids if at all possible.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    i would treat my kid as an adult.

no point in letting them get used to childhood privileges
  • Fetus-SmasherFetus-Smasher Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd keep a close eye on the thing, within reason. I'd watch who he hang out with most of all, and not "shelter" it from the world. When it's 14 and does the "I hate you", I'd show that kid where the door is. But if I bring it up the way I want, it won't backtalk me.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited August 2010
    We'll see how it goes.... Preferably they won't pull the same shit I pulled growing up.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't have kids, if I had the choice. They're expensive.
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    I wouldn't have kids, if I had the choice. They're expensive.

They aren't nearly as expensive as people make it sound...
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    They aren't nearly as expensive as people make it sound...

http://www.surebaby.com/costs.php

Yeah, because $125k to $250k isn't that expensive.
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    If it's a guy I'll probably start letting them go off on their own a bit around 10-11 but make sure I know who they're with/ where they're at at all times.

If it's a girl lol.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    jator wrote: »

If it's a girl lol.

anvil%20steel%20cage.JPG
  • L33tzL33tz Regular
    edited August 2010

money is worthless in comparison
  • Swamp JunkySwamp Junky Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    If I had a son I wouldn't be too strict with him.

Same goes goes for if I have a daughter, but she wouldn't be allowed to leave the house unless she was wearing one of these:

chasity-702286.jpg

Also, I'd start feeding her a bunch of lesbian and anti-nigger propaganda from a very young age.
    edited August 2010

Now devide that by 18, take into account that $50k of that is assuming you're buying BRAND NEW clothes every year, BRAND NEW toys all the time, et cetera, and tell me what you come up with. Children are cheaper than the bitch they come out of. At least the government will assist you in paying for your child.
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    Now devide that by 18, take into account that $50k of that is assuming you're buying BRAND NEW clothes every year, BRAND NEW toys all the time, et cetera, and tell me what you come up with. Children are cheaper than the bitch they come out of. At least the government will assist you in paying for your child.

My kid will have nice things because I have money and I care.

Sucks to be your little negroid doesn't it?
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited August 2010
    TBH I am not sure but this does touch on something that really grinds my gears - PArents who just let their kids wander and roam all over the place and then when they get hit by a car or something else happens no one ever blames the parent or even asks "where was the parent?"..
  • zingalongzingalong Regular
    edited August 2010
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    TBH I am not sure but this does touch on something that really grinds my gears - PArents who just let their kids wander and roam all over the place and then when they get hit by a car or something else happens no one ever blames the parent or even asks "where was the parent?"..

By your logic all kids should be home schooled.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited August 2010
    zingalong wrote: »
    By your logic all kids should be home schooled.

Not really I just think kids under the age of say 11 should be more supervised than say a teenager. I am not saying lock them all up but just letting them wander all over the place seems stupid..