Ask a guy who spent a year in secret prisons for teens anything.

spl1ffspl1ff Semo-Regulars
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Usually they come and get you at night in your room. Two off duty cops, ex-military, or just big black guys yank you out of your bed. They handcuff you and drive you to an airport. They say you're going somewhere to get help, and you'll be home soon. I was luckier. My parents flew me to Florida for a "vacation." I spent four days on the beach. They didn't fly me home.

"Either get on this plane to Salt Lake City," they said, "or people will come and force you to get on this plane." I cooperated. I had been to rehab before, so it couldn't be so bad. Maybe a month or two. Oh, brothers, how wrong I was. I sit here typing this almost two years later. I still haven't seen home. I still haven't laid in my own bed. I still haven't seen any of my friends.

I landed in Salt Lake. Two people from the program drove me to Duchesne, Utah. They explained that this was going to be a wilderness program and I would be living in the mountains. They wouldn't say how long. When we got to Duchesne, they stripped me naked with the exception of a t-shirt. They took all of my belongings. They gave me a green sweater and green wool pants, and an enormous backpack. Then we got back in the car.

They drove for what felt like about two hours. The scenery became increasingly remote as we traveled deeper and deeper into the desert. Then, we stopped abruptly. In the distance I saw the smoke from a fire and a blue tarp. A bearded man approached the truck. They threw me my pack. I walked with him up a hill to the camp.

There were probably four or five kids at the camp. They laid on the ground (chairs were a privilege and had to be earned) scattered around the fire. The first thing I noticed was how incredibly dirty all of them were. Their hair was wildly unkempt. Dirt and soot caked their faces. Beards were stained black from smoke.

I feel like this is becoming long winded. I'll continue in a separate post if you guys want to hear more.

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited August 2010
    more bitch..
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    more bitch..

I got in one little fight and my moms got scared, she said you're moving to your uncles and aunties in bel air!
    edited August 2010
  • spl1ffspl1ff Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    I had to pee. Bad. I asked to go. This invited a long lecture on peeing procedure. Students must be in sight of staff at all times. To allow for a bit of privacy, you could go out of sight to use the bathroom. But on one condition. You had to yell your name. As loud as you could. Every three seconds. I laughed. "This must be some sort of prank you play on the new guys." It wasn't. At least I wasn't on suicide watch. In that case, staff has to stand next to you while you count upwards from one. I went to the designated pee spot and did my thing.

The rest of the campers were sitting in a circle around the fire. I wanted to join them, but staff had given me a spot under a tree away from them, and said that I wasn't allowed to talk to them. They started a fire for me, and gave me a pad and pen. It got cold quickly, and it was hard to write because my hands shook.

At dusk, the entire group began to walk toward my spot. They looked at me, and said "get your bandana out from your pack. Make a blindfold." I did. They put a stick in my hand and said, follow. They led me up a hill. I almost tripped over the rocks and tree stumps. Finally, we stopped.

"You are now on Earth Phase."
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    And they said, "You're moving with your auntie and uncle to Bel-Air."
    edited August 2010
    spl1ff wrote: »
    I had to pee. Bad. I asked to go. This invited a long lecture on peeing procedure. Students must be in sight of staff at all times. To allow for a bit of privacy, you could go out of sight to use the bathroom. But on one condition. You had to yell your name. As loud as you could. Every three seconds. I laughed. "This must be some sort of prank you play on the new guys." It wasn't. At least I wasn't on suicide watch. In that case, staff has to stand next to you while you count upwards from one. I went to the designated pee spot and did my thing.

The rest of the campers were sitting in a circle around the fire. I wanted to join them, but staff had given me a spot under a tree away from them, and said that I wasn't allowed to talk to them. They started a fire for me, and gave me a pad and pen. It got cold quickly, and it was hard to write because my hands shook.

At dusk, the entire group began to walk toward my spot. They looked at me, and said "get your bandana out from your pack. Make a blindfold." I did. They put a stick in my hand and said, follow. They led me up a hill. I almost tripped over the rocks and tree stumps. Finally, we stopped.

"You are now on Earth Phase."

You should type whatever you did and your story up and add it to the articles.
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    edited August 2010
    To get off Earth Phase, you have to finish writing your life story. After a few days, I did. I joined the group. Life there was mundane. There are two types of days. On hiking days, you wake up early, break down camp, crush the coals from the fire, and then hike. The hikes were grueling and lasted from 3-10 miles, with your forty pound pack. Eventually you reach a new campsite and have to set up a new camp. This means digging holes. You dig a big hole for a latrine, another for the disposal of food. You start a fire and then set up a shelter for yourself at night.

On the days you don't hike, you answer letters from your parents, learn to start fires with a bow drill set, and complete therapy assignments.

I spent 3 months like this. Eventually I started to enjoy it. Life there was pretty simple once you learned the routine. Or, I suppose, once you forget about life at home. You even get used to the therapy. Living in a "therapeutic environment" is incredibly annoying. If you say one thing wrong, it gets reported to your therapist. It becomes a therapeutic issue. The therapy and punishment systems were embarassing. For minor infractions you were put on "reflection". This meant you couldn't talk for a certain period of time. For more serious offenses, you were put on separates. This meant that you were banished from the group.
    edited August 2010
    What the fuck did you do?
    edited August 2010
    They warned you not to try to run away. People did. Most of the time they just got tackled and restrained. Even if you got away temporarily, they would find you. They would call in helicopters and dogs. Even if you managed to evade them, you would just die in the desert. Water is next to impossible to find.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
    diggin' OP's dedication to this thread.. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2010
    No, I mean what did you do to get sent there?
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a couple friends who have been through wilderness among other things. Wilderness seemed fairly nice compared to what one of my friends was forced through.

Apparently there was something called pcs or some shit where they would tie you to a chair and bend your wrists for a while until they felt your punishment time was up for whatever shit you tried to pull.

He told me they dislocated both wrists of some kid one time after he threw a punch at a staff member.

The whole place was based on therapy around working with horses. It sounded pretty lame.

Most of the kids I know who have gone to wilderness are only there 2 months or so. Were you really out there for that long or did you go through other programs/half way houses as well?
    edited August 2010
    No, I mean what did you do to get sent there?

Opiate Addiction
    jator wrote: »
    I have a couple friends who have been through wilderness among other things. Wilderness seemed fairly nice compared to what one of my friends was forced through.

Apparently there was something called pcs or some shit where they would tie you to a chair and bend your wrists for a while until they felt your punishment time was up for whatever shit you tried to pull.

He told me they dislocated both wrists of some kid one time after he threw a punch at a staff member.

The whole place was based on therapy around working with horses. It sounded pretty lame.

Most of the kids I know who have gone to wilderness are only there 2 months or so. Were you really out there for that long or did you go through other programs/half way houses as well?

I was there for 3 months. I went to a residential treatment program, which I'll get into later, for 9 months. Wilderness was a breeze compared to this place. It was truly draconian. After that, I went to a halfway house for 5 months.
    edited August 2010
    How bad did your addiction get? Heroin? How did you get into that kinda scene?
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited August 2010
    cool story; post moar :angry:
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    How bad did your addiction get? Heroin? How did you get into that kinda scene?

He was probably drinking windex or his parents caught him smoking weed one too many times. But idk.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, that sounds like it must have sucked badly :/
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Moar!!!! :o:o:o:o:o
  • Tiny_Penis : (Tiny_Penis : ( Regular
    edited August 2010
    mor moar more!!!! :o
  • WraithWraith Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    Do go on, kind sir.
  • L33tzL33tz Regular
    edited August 2010
    i would have escaped. people dont understand the level of dedication i have and incredible patience
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited August 2010
    Dang what a cliff hanger! MOAR!:thumbsup: please?
  • OnTheFringeOnTheFringe Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    lame, rehab is for quitters. does sound like you got busted drinking windex. then your rich parents sent you on some prissy pants retreat

i hope you got raped by a bear
    edited August 2010
    lame, rehab is for quitters. does sound like you got busted drinking windex. then your rich parents sent you on some prissy pants retreat

i hope you got raped by a bear

Who the fuck are you newbie?
    edited August 2010
    Who the fuck are you newbie?

someone who mans up to his drug use

honestly, the best rehab is jail. these asshats were probably dancing around in puddles roasting smores the entire time. shit is fuckin soft. a real drug addict wakes up in jail and shanks his celly to get fucked up on that bug juice
    edited August 2010
    someone who mans up to his drug use

honestly, the best rehab is jail. these asshats were probably dancing around in puddles roasting smores the entire time. shit is fuckin soft. a real drug addict wakes up in jail and shanks his celly to get fucked up on that bug juice

internettoughguy.jpg
    edited August 2010
    and it's even easier and lamer to post image replies.

you know what i say is true, why you so butthurt that im cuttin up this brokeback mountain retreat. shit is for parents who have money to send they're kid away on some exotic wilderness trip. this guy doesn't get any compassion or interest from me at all, and you shouldn't be giving him any either.

maybe after he's been in the can a couple times for whatever drug related offense, maybe a little. but you act like this is some real deep hardship when its not. he's mommies and daddies little angel who got busted , big fuckin whoop .

your the damn noob impressed by this laughable garbage.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited August 2010
    spl1ff wrote: »
    They warned you not to try to run away. People did. Most of the time they just got tackled and restrained. Even if you got away temporarily, they would find you. They would call in helicopters and dogs. Even if you managed to evade them, you would just die in the desert. Water is next to impossible to find.

Fuck it if I died, I'd just split to get away from those idiots and to make my parents feel especially guilty.
    edited August 2010
    1337 wrote: »
    Fuck it if I died, I'd just split to get away from those idiots and to make my parents feel especially guilty.

I wonder what kind of release forms they signed. Having your kid die sounds like grounds for a lawsuit.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of release forms they signed. Having your kid die sounds like grounds for a lawsuit.

I was thinking that, but they probably have their asses covered. I wouldn't want my parents profiting from my death under those circumstances anyway. :mad:
    edited August 2010
    1337 wrote: »
    I was thinking that, but they probably have their asses covered. I wouldn't want my parents profiting from my death under those circumstances anyway. :mad:

1. Send troublesome teenager away for drug rehab.
    2. Have him get killed.
    3. File wrongful death lawsuit.
    4. Never have to deal with his shit again.
    5. ???
    6. Profit!
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited August 2010
    uh, did you never finish posting the story? what other crazy shit went down at this place????