Is this something for me to stress about?

abusernameabusername Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1302358/NDM-1-Were-blame-indestructible-Indian-superbug.html

Does this mean we are all going to fucking die or should a normal every day Australian like me not worry? I've always stressed out hard about medical issues in the world like this.. only thing that I can say actually scares the shit out of me. Put a guy with a knife in front of me and I won't be afraid, because I know I can physically fight back.. With disease, you don't have that privilege.

It's quite alarming that they think bacterial infections might return to the levels seen before anti-biotics were even invented, if not worse because we now have almost NO natural immunity in our genes.. we are completely helpless, healthy or unhealthy, young or old, we are all at risk..

This also isn't something like Swine flu which can basically go away after a while and return to a sustainable level.. this is something that can ONLY get worse unless they create new drugs to fight it (Very unlikely, no new drugs on the horizon to battle this gene says medical pros)

I hate stressing about shit like this but I can't help it.. ease my mind guys :p

Oh and WTB Physical Medical illness forum.

Comments

• StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    Unless you start hearing about people you interact with coming down with it you shouldn't let it sweat you. This seems like the worst type of illness in a long time but so is cancer. Luckily cancer isn't contagious.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome. Limit 115 hits in 43 years. It's gonna suck.
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited August 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »
    Awesome. Limit 115 hits in 43 years. It's gonna suck.

Limit 115? Sorry what do you mean by that? I'm tired so sorry if I'm misunderstanding something..

Man I'm hella stressing out about this shit. I don't know why I stress about health problems so much but jeez.. so much stress from it.
    edited August 2010
    Hypochondriacs make me rage/lol. My ex was fucking ridiculous.

Limit 115 is... uhh... nevermind. It's not real. In 2053, the New Plague hits. In Fallout.
    edited August 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »
    Hypochondriacs make me rage/lol. My ex was fucking ridiculous.

Limit 115 is... uhh... nevermind. It's not real. In 2053, the New Plague hits. In Fallout.

Oh okay.

Yeah I'm not a hypochondriac, that is somebody who always thinks they have illnesses they don't, always think they are sick for no reason etc..

I just get VERY worried about major health scares, the ones they announce on the news and shit.. It's just something so deep in my brain that screams "SURVIVE" to me.. and to survive, I must take every single precaution against the health scare.
  • BakayarBakayar Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    You realise that this article only discusses the dexterity of the bacteria, not its lethality? Seeing as its currently only present in bacteria that normally cause stomach and gastric problems I see no reason for you to worry. You have a natural immune system for a reason, and the addition of one allel to a bacteria which you can be inoculated against isn't going to make things worse. Eat some coal, keep your nutrition up and everything will be fine.

Of course I waste my virtual breath because even though I might be able to console your current worries, I doubt that it will encourage you to think logically during future "scares". Seriously, you're playing into the medias hands. And as such you will probably end up one day sitting in a cupboard with a gas mask, canned food and distilled water.
    edited August 2010
    Bakayar wrote: »
    And as such you will probably end up one day sitting in a cupboard with a gas mask, canned food and distilled water while I bleed rectally from the highly lethal virus tearing up my insides.

Nothing wrong with sitting in a cupboard with a gasmask and a bunch of canned food if it becomes a necessity. Assuming you can beat ebola because you eat coal and have a healthy diet ain't gonna get you anywhere but dead.

Granted you're right in this case, it's nothing so far. Paranoia and preparedness aren't something to be trash talked though, assuming it doesn't lead to you wearing a tinfoil hat and refusing to step outside because the CIA satellites can hear your thoughts. A healthy dose of paranoia is what keeps us safe.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited August 2010
    Just out of interest how does the coal stop anything :S sorry for the ridiculously stupid question..
    edited August 2010
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    Just out of interest how does the coal stop anything :S sorry for the ridiculously stupid question..

I am also curious.
    edited August 2010
    You realise that this article only discusses the dexterity of the bacteria, not its lethality? Seeing as its currently only present in bacteria that normally cause stomach and gastric problems I see no reason for you to worry. You have a natural immune system for a reason, and the addition of one allel to a bacteria which you can be inoculated against isn't going to make things worse. Eat some coal, keep your nutrition up and everything will be fine.

Of course I waste my virtual breath because even though I might be able to console your current worries, I doubt that it will encourage you to think logically during future "scares". Seriously, you're playing into the medias hands. And as such you will probably end up one day sitting in a cupboard with a gas mask, canned food and distilled water.

I know and I realize how incredibly silly and illogical I am being, but that doesn't help the way I feel when I get worked up about these things, I suppose I should really talk to somebody about it because theres no need for me to get so stressed every time there is a health scare. I can be careful, paranoid and healthy without getting super stressed when I hear about these things..

Oh and I already drink distilled water :p Tastes fucking awesome and makes me feel so much healthier, even if it is only a placebo.

But yeah it's all good now I'm not stressing over it anymore. I'll be fine I'm sure :)
  • BakayarBakayar Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Well, HTS, my main issue was that abusername said that he gets worked up every time he encounters a news story like this, and as such the last bit was mainly to address that issue. But I do understand what you're saying.

Coal actually assists quite a bit with most gastric infections, hell doctors even prescribe the stuff. Google it if you're really that intersested.

Also ebola is a virus, not a bacteria. Bacteria being the things undergoing the mutation. Yes they mention plasmids in the article, but know that a plasmid is bassically a virus, and thus a virus isn't affected. However I'm pretty sure that your mentioning ebola was a bit of an accident.

Abusername I suppose that your reaction is one of those mental things, like how one knows not to be sad/ angry over something yet cannot help being. I can only hope that you, in future, will try to overcome this inherent fear long enough to dispel it with research/ thought. It can only do you good.
    edited August 2010
    Well, HTS, my main issue was that abusername said that he gets worked up every time he encounters a news story like this, and as such the last bit was mainly to address that issue. But I do understand what you're saying.

Coal actually assists quite a bit with most gastric infections, hell doctors even prescribe the stuff. Google it if you're really that intersested.

Also ebola is a virus, not a bacteria. Bacteria being the things undergoing the mutation. Yes they mention plasmids in the article, but know that a plasmid is bassically a virus, and thus a virus isn't affected. However I'm pretty sure that your mentioning ebola was a bit of an accident.

Abusername I suppose that your reaction is one of those mental things, like how one knows not to be sad/ angry over something yet cannot help being. I can only hope that you, in future, will try to overcome this inherent fear long enough to dispel it with research/ thought. It can only do you good.

True true, and yeah ebola is a virus. The point I was making there is if you don't pay any mind to health scares, when one of them turns out to be forrealz you could end up woefully under prepared. I wasn't making any real connection between this drug resistant bacteria and ebola, other than that they're both potentially scary. :p

All of that is true anyway. Logic and willpower can't overcome everything, but hopefully he works it out. It's kind of like hypochondria, which is why I brought that up - even if you know the odds of having a brain tumor or the odds of this being something to worry about are incredibly low, you worry about it anyways and it stresses you the fuck out.
    edited August 2010

Cheers for the coal information and clarification..
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited August 2010
    yep we're all going to die. again.

remember the great swine flu epidemic?
    how about the bird flu?

yea, the USA is fucked. stock up on canned goods people!
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think it ever means we're all gonna die, still though if you're a dirty motherfucker then you got less of a shot. Believe me, I know..:(
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been sick with an ear infection/heavy head cold/flu/virus/i don't know doctors just give me these pills for over 2 weeks now. Finish my first script of antibiotics tomorrow and I've seen little to no improvement.

I R SUPERBUG?
  • BakayarBakayar Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Since we are being faceicious
    http://www.herbs2000.com/disorders/dysentery.htm

Look through that it should mention something. I also realise that I shouldn't've been lazy and typed charcoal instead of coal. Oh well.

FON its probably a misdiagnosis or a new chronic issue or simply just taking its time. Pills aren't a be all and end all of your problems.
  • OnTheFringeOnTheFringe Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    maybe you didn't hear about this, but the WHO (World health organization) ended the worldwide pandemic status of swine flu.

don't you think it's odd that another possible pandemic has been just announced? I'm almost expecting the media to blow this superbug out of proportion just like swine flu, thus the pharmacutical and medical industry stand to profit once again.

just you wait and see
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010
    abusername u should not worry about this becus the news just wants ppl 2 wach it and every1 is constintly parinoid. humins have bin around 4 a long time and thru much much worse times then today. yet we r still alive and stronger then ever. humins have bin thru world wars diseazes with no medisin. the news will scare u but i can name a few things i have rimimber or at leest no about and these things were huge news at the time: bird flu swine flu west nile virus mad cow diseaze menigitis and they all terned out 2 b nothing in the end :o
    edited August 2010
    Your in Australia correct?
    Well go enjoy yourself it's not made landfall in Australia so I recommender stocking up on bottled water and tinnies and and some cans of food!
    Might want a gas mask and filters and a cricket bat ;)
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited August 2010
    Hm... I should have bought those NBC protective suits when i had the chance.
    Oh well, the swedish army used raingear and garbage bags as protective suits untill the 90s, i should be able to McGywer someting better than that for a low price.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    If the human race has to die out, I'd sort of like it to be this way. I mean, who doesn't love a good epidemic?
  • L33tzL33tz Regular
    edited August 2010
    the charcoal is super pourous and absorbs shit
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    You need more electrolytes!
  • edited August 2010
    SARS lol.