Can you do accents?

edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
How good are you at doing accents from other places/countries? I met someone the other day who was unbelievable at them, I actually believed he was from Scotland until he told me otherwise :D

Comments

• fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Im good at mimicking them when I live somewhere. I picked up a Costa Rican accent after a month. Of course, my Spanish was already good, but the natives were all wtf are you from here? It was funny.
  • edited August 2010
    I can do a pretty good English and Irish accent. I like to talk to strangers in an Irish accent and slowly drift into an English accent, they're minds are boggled and are like where did you say you were from:confused:

Hahaa, good old mindfuck. I love doing things like that in prank calls.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    I love doing the British or Australian accent when I'm drinking. For some odd reason while I'm intoxicated the inner hooligan comes out of me. I wouldn't say I'm great at it, just tend to run around like a headless chicken screaming "OI!"
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I have been told by numerous people that I am pretty amazing at accents. Be it American, Dutch, Scottish or South African. I have quite a bland London accent so can easily latch onto other accents and sound fucking convincing.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    I can do a very good scottish and Indian accent. By Indian I mean the red dot kind.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited August 2010
    RemadE wrote: »
    I have been told by numerous people that I am pretty amazing at accents. Be it American, Dutch, Scottish or South African. I have quite a bland London accent so can easily latch onto other accents and sound fucking convincing.

I'm even better. I won a competition. I can do everything from Alaskan to Zimbabweian.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Im good at mimicking them when I live somewhere. I picked up a Costa Rican accent after a month. Of course, my Spanish was already good, but the natives were all wtf are you from here? It was funny.

Having lived in 14 states in the last almost 50 years I have no accent to speak of. It is mostly because of the phenomenon you are speaking of. I tend to pick up accents and speech patterns from the regions and dialects I am exposed to as well.
    LSA King wrote: »
    I love doing the British or Australian accent when I'm drinking. For some odd reason while I'm intoxicated the inner hooligan comes out of me. I wouldn't say I'm great at it, just tend to run around like a headless chicken screaming "OI!"

Although I have not done so in quite a long time I recall going on "tour" and hitting a shit load of local bars in my 20's and 20's with a friend of mine named Jim. We would go into bars where neither of us knew a soul and he would pass me off as his cousin from Australia. I would speak with the accent and the drunken locals would no only by the BS but the invariably would buy me beers as some sort of good will to foreigners BS. The only reason I really remember this is that it worked so well we used to do it whenever we were low on beer money.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited August 2010
    EDIT: Removed.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited August 2010
    I can sound vaguely European by resonating in the front of the mouth but that's pretty much it.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    I can do a British and Scottish accent, the Scottish accent is specifically a Leeds accent. Neither are great, I got the British from watching too much BBC America and the Scottish from reading too much Irvine Welsch. I can fool all of the hicks around here though.
    edited August 2010

An American accent? May I ask what region/dialect. America has a wide variety of accents that are very distinguishable from one another.

For example in Boston (and Massachusetts in general) they only have 25 letters in their alphabet. That's right they have no R's in many words. Which is why they "Pock the caw" and why when something is really cool they say "Wicked Pissa"

In Manhattan they also have an R deficiency but in different words and mostly when the R si at the end of the word. Which is why they visit a "Dockta" when they are not feeling well. They also move the letter L in certain words, for example changing Bottle (bobreve.giftprime.gifl) to Bottel

In Pittsburgh and the great Monongahela valley area they say Youins for the plural version of the collective you. Where as in many southern states the same collective you is changed to Ya'll.

So I am just curious as to which region you do when you do your American accent.

One person from England that does a great American Accent is James Hugh Calum Laurie. I do not really watch House that often but my wife and youngest son do. The show was on the air for over a year before I latched onto the fact that this was the same actor who played both Prince George and Lieutenant George in the Black Adder shows with Rowen Atkinson. It was not until I saw him on some late night talk show, when he was using his natural voice that the light bulb came on and and I said "Holy Batfuck Batman!!! That is the same actor that played Prince George and Lieutenant George in the Black Adder series!"

How good would you say your American accent is compared to his?
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    For a joke or, like, to rob a bank? I can do a good one for a joke.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    I can speak a mean American English.

Although I have lived there my whole life so I dont think that they count.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh and I used to actually sound genuinely British (sorry I don't know what actual accent) when I was young (<7) because I had a daycare nanny from somewhere in the UK and she severely affected my linguistic acquisition. Dumbass kids kept asking if I was "from London".
  • edited August 2010
    I remember watching this on TV not so long ago. I think Simon Pegg does a pretty good American accent.
    edited August 2010
    An American accent? May I ask what region/dialect. America has a wide variety of accents that are very distinguishable from one another.

It is strange. My friends from Missouri were quite similar to me when I got so pissed I sounded like them.
    Next time I'll have to post a sound clip on here.
    edited August 2010
    That would be cool, the sound clip that is.
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010

Haha this sums up whatever I was gonna post.

"OI, YOU THERE, YOU BLOODY WANKA!"
  • vOmitreevOmitree Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I find whenever I go to newfoundland, I start picking up the accent after about a week of being there. Same thing happens when I hang around british people. Otherwise when I'm at home I'm absolutely terrible with accents. I have a quintessential deep monotone canadian accent which makes it difficult to speak to begin with.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    i can do the lebanese gangbanger accent
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited August 2010

In Manhattan they also have an R deficiency but in different words and mostly when the R si at the end of the word. Which is why they visit a "Dockta" when they are not feeling well. They also move the letter L in certain words, for example changing Bottle (bobreve.giftprime.gifl) to Bottel

What the hell are you talking about?

Are you just generalizing from the bits and tids of accentuations you've came across in what, 2 years?

Dockta? LOL
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited August 2010
    I can do a (dot) Indian accent perfectly.
  • edited August 2010
    Sounds like something out of Team Fortress 2 - HEAL ME DOCKTA!
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2010
    My Scot accent ain't to bad.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    I can do a Mexican radio announcer accent too. It's probably my favorite.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited August 2010

Lol i do this too .
    i do the British accent , i do it just to fuk around with people making them think im from the UK.
    edited August 2010
    That would be cool, the sound clip that is.

http://vocaroo.com/?media=vXNhaIbDabts1H0UE

Tadaa! Taking into account I was talking into a microphone and am sober.
  • edited August 2010

Haha! Nice one bro, that sounds great. There are a few words and phrases you need to work on though, just a little bit of tweaking :D
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Haha! Nice one bro, that sounds great. There are a few words and phrases you need to work on though, just a little bit of tweaking :D

Good to know someone isn't taking the piss so far :p granted, it is strange just coming up with shit to say.
    I can do French and Italian quite well, too. It's great at clubs. Girls get pretty excited at my pseudo-exoticness :hai:
    edited August 2010

lol! Your kefa hater is awesome...:thumbsup:
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited August 2010
    I can do a perfect southern US accent. I try not to though, because I don't want people to think I'm from the south.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm good at English (I've even tricked people before because apparently I sound like I'm from Eastern London with little abnormalities), and then I can also do a good black guy and Indian, and a very good gay voice. I can also do Korean pretty well.
    edited August 2010
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    I'm good at English (I've even tricked people before because apparently I sound like I'm from Eastern London with little abnormalities), and then I can also do a good black guy and Indian, and a very good gay voice. I can also do Korean pretty well.

That gay accent must pull in all teh chicks...amirite?
    Unfortunately it would pull in all the faggots to:(
    ! Kinda like turning off your Firewall really:rolleyes:
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited August 2010
    bornkiller wrote: »
    That gay accent must pull in all teh chicks...amirite?
    Unfortunately it would pull in all the faggots to:(
    ! Kinda like turning off your Firewall really:rolleyes:

I know, that's the downside. People actually think I look gay because I dress preppy/halfway metro, so I do pull in a bit. I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.
  • edited August 2010
    Americans that think they can do a convincing Britsh or Australia/Kiwi accent, you can't. You just sound fucking retarded. For some reason, Canadians can do the British a lot better even though their natural accent is very similar to Americans.
    edited August 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about?

Are you just generalizing from the bits and tids of accentuations you've came across in what, 2 years?

Dockta? LOL

No you moron my wife is from the lower east side.
    edited August 2010

That was pretty good M8 it almost sounds like me LOL.

http://vocaroo.com/?media=v1ffO6VemywtCc8qd
    edited August 2010
    That was pretty good M8 it almost sounds like me LOL.

http://vocaroo.com/?media=v1ffO6VemywtCc8qd

Woooah! :hai: