Cocktail Winners?

acid_dropacid_drop Regular
edited August 2010 in Life
So cocktail winnies. WTF mang? Yes yes, I'm going there.

For some reason I love those disgusting little bastards all done up in a crock pot.

I realized while roaming through the fridge and finding NOTHING TO EAT- that the woman bought some of those little winner deals.

So what would be an awesome way to make these in a crock pot? I've never done it. I've known people who have, but didn't stand around watching them making such a seriously bad for you concoction.

HOW I MAKE DEESE? :rolleyes:

I always heard like either ketchup + grape jelly, or mustard + grape jelly... I despise ketchup, but obviously you can make a dandy barbecue out of it on the cheap and make it not taste like ketchup. BUT WTF IS WITH THE JELLY?

Someone enlighten me so I can make these before she realizes the are gone. :P. There's probably a reason they are here, just don't know why. It's not her normal fare of food, not "healthy enough", so I'll probably get an ass chewing in a few days. But it's worth it. My job sucks and I'm hungry.

Comments

• KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    After googling cocktail *weenies I found this;
    Cocktail weenie recipes
    The 'jelly' could be referring to some kind of chutney, but I dont know I hate how americans call jams and what not jelly its confusing.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited August 2010
    As far as I see it, and typical vernacular is that Jams are more fresh fruit based, you know, typically homemade/not processed, where as Jelly is that really processed crap at the super market.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    As far as I see it, and typical vernacular is that Jams are more fresh fruit based, you know, typically homemade/not processed, where as Jelly is that really processed crap at the super market.

The difference among these spreads is largely one of consistency, and for the first three, standards are established by the Food and Drug Administration so consumers will know what they�re buying.

Jelly is a clear, bright product. It is generally made by cooking fruit juice and sugar with pectin as a jelling agent and lemon juice as an acid to maintain a consistent texture. Jelly is firm and will hold its shape (it �shakes�). Generally, jelly contains no pieces of fruit, although specialty jellies, like pepper jelly, may include pieces of jalape�o or other pepper.

Jam is made from crushed or chopped fruit cooked with sugar, and often pectin and lemon juice. Jam can be a pur�e of fruit or have a soft pulp, but it does not contain chunks of fruit.

Preserves are fruit cooked with sugar to the point where large chunks of fruit or whole fruit, such as berries, are suspended in a syrup base. The texture of preserves is not smooth like jelly or jam.

Marmalade is a soft jelly, often citrus-based, that includes both the flesh and peel of the fruit suspended throughout the jelly base. The bitterness of the peel offsets the sweetness of the jelly.

Conserve is a mixture of more than one fruit, often with added nuts and raisins, that is cooked until it becomes thick. It is used as a spread for breads, pastries and meats, and in the latter use is closest to chutney.

Chutney is a spiced condiment of Indian origin (chatni is the Hindi word for strongly spiced) made of fruit or vegetables. It is typically served as an accompaniment to food, not as a spread. The spice level can range from mild to hot, and the consistency from a fine relish to a preserve or conserve. Fruit chutney consists of chopped fruit, vinegar, spices and sugar cooked into a chunky sweet-tart-spicy mix: according to one explanation, it �blurs the Western distinction between preserves and pickles.�

Fruit Butter, such as apple butter or prune butter, is fruit pur�e or pulp combined with sugar, lemon juice and spices, slowly cooked down to a smooth consistency. The �butter� refers to its spreadability: there is no actual butter in the product.

Fruit Curd is a creamy spread made with sugar, eggs and butter, generally flavored with citrus juice and zest.

Fruit Spread is generally a reduced-calorie product made with fruit juice concentrate and low-calorie sweeteners replacing all or part of the sugar.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »

I like preserves better. Hero is a really good Swiss brand.