Feeling detached from reality

edited September 2010 in Life
Does anyone else ever feel as though they're a little detached from the world? Like you're not quite as "in tune" with everything as you should be?

I often feel this way, and its kinda horrible. I don't really feel "with it" all the time, which is a little odd. I also question reality and everything within it, instead of taking the world for granted and accepting everything as it is, which sometimes starts me off feeling a little detached.

Its odd, anyone else get it?

Comments

• FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Does anyone else ever feel as though they're a little detached from the world? Like you're not quite as "in tune" with everything as you should be?

I often feel this way, and its kinda horrible. I don't really feel "with it" all the time, which is a little odd. I also question reality and everything within it, instead of taking the world for granted and accepting everything as it is, which sometimes starts me off feeling a little detached.

Its odd, anyone else get it?

Similar, but I'm not clueless. I know I am not part of this place, whatever it may be.
    My purpose if it can be called that. Is to follow my strings, you should too.

Why do you feel this transcendence is "horrible"?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Once in awhile I get a feeling of solipsism, like everything around me is just my imagination and I'm the only thing that's real. It's nice, but sometimes freaks me out as well.
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Once in awhile I get a feeling of solipsism, like everything around me is just my imagination and I'm the only thing that's real. It's nice, but sometimes freaks me out as well.

They might not actually be. I mean, some times I can see holes in the things(my surroundings) and they are so comprehensive. It's like when you look through a high powered electron microscope. That perception is not so frightening.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    I get this a lot too but i've kind of come to embrace this feeling when i get it because it's almost a peaceful way to look at things.

Exactly, as soon as I get into that mindset, almost all of my worries are washed away. "If everything's just my imagination, there's no reason to be anxious or feel embarassed about doing anything." It's just what's after it that freaks me out. "If everything's just my imagination, what's the point of life?" :o
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    I feel this way sometimes and it can be scary if you look at it in a certain way. I try to stay positive. If this is all part of my imagination then there is so much creativity in me in so many different ways. Maybe life wouldn't have meaning because of this but this would also mean death is an illusion.

OP: As far as I can tell you're okay but if this starts causing you serious problems seek help from a professional. There isn't anything wrong with getting help.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    As long as you seem socially conventional and "normal" then think what you want. I have the most craziest theories in my head which I can't even get my head around verbally.
    edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    As long as you seem socially conventional and "normal" then think what you want. I have the most craziest theories in my head which I can't even get my head around verbally.

Yeah, it's really odd. Might be due to the fact so much data can be coded into the brain.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited August 2010
    I usually feel out of touch at least once a day, but then again I think the majority of society is out of touch with "reality". I don't think it is possible for anybody to keep "objective" sanity in the world we live in.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited August 2010
    yes, embrace it while you can man
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »

i can understand what you're talking about. but also when it feels as if you are the only real thing then you can shift the world around you. as if you are in total control, as should be. so sometimes it works out in an advantage.
  • seanicusseanicus New Arrival
    edited September 2010
    This sounds like dissociation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder

I would speak to a psychiatrist and get a diagnosis.

con: you're a nutcase

pro: you can murder whomever you want, and you'll go to a mental hospital instead of prison.