Multicultural Upbringing

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I was raised with a very multicultural life. I'm a white American but I have several black people in my family (some through marriage others I'm not sure). Throughout the majority of my preteen and teenage years my family lived in different communities with many Asians (usually Vietnamese or Korean). My third job entailed communicating with several Japanese and Mexican people (weird mix, I played a really bad translator sometimes). Now I hang out mostly with a friend who rents a place on his property to a few guys from Yemen who practice Islam. They're pretty cool and were very welcoming to us hanging out: watching movies, drinking, smoking and eating a lot of some meat with curry and a spice I don't recognize that was good. This could be because it is currently Ramadan but I don't think it's just that. They're just nice. In high school the crowd that I hung out with was made up of people from several different "cliques". We had a few goths and a few jocks and preps and weirdos (me) and all other sorts. Some of my best friends are gay (no homo). One of my uncles, his wife and my cousin are vegans. My brother is a redneck. One of my sisters is a lawyer, one is a pot smoking mom, the last is a CPA. I find it impossible to hate anyone for what they are, it has to be who they are. I am a total victim of the "smelting pot" that is the U.S.A.

What type cultural/multicultural upbringing did you have?

Comments

• stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
    don't think you are exactly 'victim' of your circumstance ~ more 'privileged'
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    Yeah you're right.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    I was raised in a fairly multicultural life but grew up to see that multiculturalism is a disease that destroys nations and is destroying America. Interracial relationships degrade a people and separate but equal is the only solution imo.
  • BakayarBakayar Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Try having lived in south africa in the past thirty years. Multicultural is a bit of an undersatement when you can understand what everyone is saying no matter their cultural linguistic background.

That is a bit of an exaggeration as I can only really understand six of the local languages, and only form decent sentences in two.

But I digress. Living in a multicultural socioty makes you want everyone to shut the fuck up. This is because people don't really agree with each others practices and as such go around spewing crap about each other. But mostly people will hide behind their cultures when asked to account for something they did wrong. The sooner we get rid of culture the better.

I am aware of the absurdity of that last statement.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited August 2010
    My uncle married a thai woman when i was quite young 6-7 and she brought her 2 kids with her. I was brought up with a lot of thai culture and traditions which I am grateful for. At Christmas we put money boats on the loch to bring good luck stuff like that. Just little things you have to think about to notice. Like if we're having a big meal there will be several different things made and you have some of everything, it would be rude to just eat tonnes of one thing. Taking shoes off at the door.

I live in the Shetland Isles which has it's own culture. We are really more norwegian/german than the rest of Britain and still celebrate lots of pagan festivals. At the beginning of the year we have a huge fire festival where the "yarl" squad burn a viking longship.

uphellyaa.jpg

So I have had two very different cultures in my life. You did mean culture right? 'Cause you were kinda just talking about race.
  • edited August 2010
    mental note taken :

viking culture contributes more to global warming than any other culture.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    Vicky wrote: »
    So I have had two very different cultures in my life. You did mean culture right? 'Cause you were kinda just talking about race.

Yeah I did but yeah I was besides the Yemenese and kids from school, the vegans and my brother. Yemenese... is that how you say that?
  • edited August 2010
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    i live in inner west sydney, where about 50% are non-white.

overall, the proportion of good people to troublemakers are about the same for everyone, though each kind of troublemaker is troublesome specific to their ethnic stereotypes, if that makes sense
  • edited August 2010
    i bet the darker their skin colors are, the worse are the form of this "troublesomeness" specific to their ethnic stereotypes ....

amirite ???
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited August 2010
    Interracial relationships degrade a people and separate but equal is the only solution imo.

Exactly, states Sir Rolf, thou should only slip a fair maiden the lance if her skin colour and skull shape are the same as yours. Thou does not want the white house exploding, does thou? Asks Sir Rolf
  • edited August 2010
    "Rolf is the only Rolf, all pretenders are not Rolf. Rolf is [highlight]brilliance[/highlight], therefore Rolf is inside all of you, yet none of you are Rolf."

Brilliant = adjective. Brilliance are what rolf haveth not. Brilliant is what rolf is not.

cocks is what thee should go suckth.
  • FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I was raised in a fairly multicultural life but grew up to see that multiculturalism is a disease that destroys nations and is destroying America. Interracial relationships degrade a people and separate but equal is the only solution imo.

You too?
  • L33tzL33tz Regular
    edited August 2010
    nonsense.

indian, white, black, asian.

Peace and love.

latinos.jpg