I want to just wear suits from now on.

Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
edited August 2010 in Life
What type of suit should I buy? Does anyone here wear suits? They'll make me look professional and rich.

ITT: Suits! Teach me about them, as I've never worn one before. Apparently you can get them fitted to your body or something? What's the deal with that? On the movies they clerks measure the suit to your body or something. :confused:

I should probably learn how to tie a tie as well.

Comments

• Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Armani is nice, but your local suit shop should have something both of your preference and in your price range. Try an executive style, those will make you look pretty badass/ important.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    Armani is nice, but your local suit shop should have something both of your preference and in your price range. Try an executive style, those will make you look pretty badass/ important.

Executive style sounds nice. I don't want to buy a cheap one. I want to look rich.

Also; shoes. Need some good shoes to go with it as well.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Definitely wing tips or suede bucks. Trust me, I look like a bum but I know what looks good.
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited July 2010
    Brand schmand.

The two most important things about a suit are the cut and the fit. The fit is more important though, imo.

You won't be able to pull off the look if the suit doesn't fit, plain and simple. Best solution is to probably buy one that fits you a little bit in the style you want if its cheap, but you have to make sure you go to a tailor and get it fitted for you if you can't do it yourself. They can turn a well fitting pair of pants in to the most perfect ones you've ever had.

Come to think of it, learning to sew isn't a bad idea after all.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    Only wear suits all the time if you're working somewhere that requires them or favours them. I guess you can wear them in public as long as it's not at Uni where casual dressing is the norm. I hate all those cunts at my Uni who wear them all the time for the hell of it :facepalm:. Fucking fags imo.

Just my two cents
    edited July 2010
    Really? You think they're cunts? :( I don't wanna be a cunt. What can I wear that's close to a suit that won't make me cunty in situations where I can't wear a suit?
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    A nice pair of dark blue jeans or khakis; turtleneck, argyle sweater, nice solid T-shirt, or polo; and a sports coat.
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited July 2010
    People wear suits going to fucking university ?

EDIT: OP needs to go for smart casual. Some nicely cut slim fitting jeans with a well-fitting casual button up shirt / dressy shoes is what you're looking for. Maybe a skinny tie to dress it up a little when you want to, but if you want to go formal get a suit. The jeans should be a darker colour like navy blue or almost black. Make sure its' nice denim too.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    OP you cannot just wear a suit and expect it to "work". The old saying "clothes make the man" is only partially true. You need the confidence and personality to pull off wearing a suit in most non formal situations. This confidence and personality comes with life experience (i.e. some kid can't just go around wearing a suit to fucking mcdonalds and shit and expect people to think he is rich and sophisticated) you need to live the part, have an "air" about you that you are important and worthy.

What you need is to build your way up, like someone stated earlier wear smart casual clothes. Khaki slacks, and a button up dress shirt works in nearly every situation. Practice wearing nice clothes and taking care of them first before you get yourself fitted for a suit. Do this for a few years before buying a suit. Also work on keeping yourself well groomed and have respectable manners.

If you wear a suit while being poorly groomed or disrespectful it will work against you and people will think you are just a dumb asshole. With that being said, work on all those things mentioned above and once you feel like you're ready to make the leap (financially speaking) go out and buy a Brioni or Tom Ford suit (costs about $1500 to $5000). These are the suits worn by James Bond.

If needed you can go cheaper but if you want the full "suit" effect you might as well spend the money knowing that you will be hands down the best dressed, respectful, and confident man where ever you go. A price cannot be put on this feeling. Being well-groomed, respectful, confident, knowledgeable, and finely dressed is hands down the most powerful chick magnet known to man. Men will also try to emulate your styles.

However, you can never hope to achieve this if you just throw money down on a cheap suit while your young and wear it all the time while being sloppy and poorly groomed. You will lessen the "power" of a suit if you wear it all the time, you need to expand your styles by adding turtle necks or polos under your suit jacket. Go to these forums and learn as much as you can: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Remember OP, It takes time! If you jump in too quickly you can end up looking like a try-hard slob. If you let it take its course and do everything I said you can look like one of the most powerful men where ever you go. The choice is yours.
    edited July 2010
    Thanks meta! I'm going to go with what you say. Good advice; you're right because I have liek, no confidence right now.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Also forgot about shoes.

OP MAKE SURE YOUR SHOES MATCH YOUR BELT AND YOUR SOCKS MATCH YOUR PANTS OR SHOES! With that being said get a nice pair of solid black Oxfords. For your brown shoes you can get Oxfords as well but I would recommend also getting brown pair of Loafers, they are very versatile (can be worn in casual or formal settings). Also TAKE CARE OF YOUR SHOES Polish them regularly (doesn't have to be everyday but every time they start to look "dingy"). If you don't know how to polish shoes buy those small shoe polishing wipes (like moist towelettes but for shoes) and rub in a circular motion all around the shoe, then turn it inside out and use the dry side to take off extra moisture. Once you have the money you can get a proper kit or pay other people to shine your shoes.

With that being said shoes really aren't that important. Just keep conservative with Oxfords and Loafers (wingtips work as well). But don't go too fancy i.e. (no "Gators" or super pointy tip shoes). Too fancy of shoes are the most tell tale sign of insecurity and arrogance. BUT DO REMEMBER TO KEEP THOSE SHOES POLISHED!
    edited July 2010
    Thanks! +1
  • Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »
    Really? You think they're cunts? :( I don't wanna be a cunt. What can I wear that's close to a suit that won't make me cunty in situations where I can't wear a suit?

Get yourself a lounge suit. Preferably tailored, too - that way you it'll be a perfect fit, and also you get to pick the material for the inside of the suit that you can select some outrageous colour for.

Or, you can always go the 70s way and buy a leisure suit.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Sometimes people wear suits at uni cause they're in a faculty like business that requires them to wear suits on certain days. But if you're talking about people in things like arts or science that wear suits, yeah, fuck them.

Personally, I don't like wearing suits or dressing up. No particular reason, just how I feel.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I wear suits sometimes. It doesn't come off as stylish at all though, as I am normally unshaven, and wear old well worn in suits with very old combat boots. I like the way it looks though, even if I do seem like kind of a weirdo...
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited August 2010
  • OnTheFringeOnTheFringe Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    don't forget the top hat and monocle
  • CitizenUziCitizenUzi Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    If you wear a suit INFORMALLY without the bankroll in your pocket to swagger properly, you are doing it wrong. When you do this without a fancy car or the ability to throw down an easy $G (or several) if needed, it makes you look like a total weirdo or wannabe.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    I wannabe wearing a suit too.
  • edited August 2010
    Blunderful sounds like my kinda guy :thumbsup:

I have a few, but don't wear that often as I have little occasion to do so. But I like buying them. As for people who tell you you're a pretencious prick for wanting to wear suits for normal wear; fuck them. You'll kick ass walking around your school/college/uni wearing a suit.

But it does depend on the colour and style. Whenever I see a guy wearing a grey suit I want to punch him in the face. Grey suits look like shit and make you look 70 years old. You can't go wrong with black. If you're a little more 'daring' you can dry dark blue or even maroon. NEVER wear a black pinstripe suit. It also looks shit. At the same time dark blue or any other kind of suit looks shit if it doesn't have pinstripes. Make sure they are the thin stripes though.

If you want to look really badass - wear a double-breasted suit. If you can find a way to be driven around in a nice car, this looks even better. Shoes and ties are important too.

Example of a good navy blue pinstripe suit, aswell as a maroon suit with 'fitting' shoes (as I say, daring), if you can pull it off.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4007/suit1.jpg
    http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/290/suit2.jpg
    http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9590/shoest.jpg

Some of my favourite suits and ties:

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5139/dsc00563a.jpg
    http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2178/dsc00562w.jpg
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7769/dsc00568ia.jpg

The cream jacket, for example, can be dressed up or down. Eg; it would go just fine with a pair of creme chinos and shoes like these:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8734/dsc00566ii.jpg
    http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6269/dsc00565i.jpg

As spending goes; it's better to spend more money on a good pair of shoes than on a more expensive suit. If you wan't a suit tailored to you then great, but is is expensive and chances are, any suit you buy in a shop will fit just fine. If you live in a cold climate, top it off with a good coat.

Note: you'll pay through your ass for a good one ($1000+), but it's worth it if you want the look... sort of.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/531/dsc00570qn.jpg
  • FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    If you want your whole wardrobe to be suits. You need a lot of money. Buy cheap ones first in strip mall suit stores.
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited August 2010
    Or thrift stores, although getting the fit right is the worst unless you want to throw down more hard earned cash on a tailor.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    Go to a 3rd world country. I hear you can get custom made suits tailored to fit for $100 or so.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited August 2010
    ^This. Thailand ftw
  • FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    FON wrote: »
    Go to a 3rd world country. I hear you can get custom made suits tailored to fit for $100 or so.

Can't you just order one online from there?