I'd Rather Dream

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited September 2010 in Life
Even though my dreams are usually rather macabre and otherwise really weird every time I wake up I immediately wish that I was still dreaming instead. When I rarely think about dreaming I wish I was instead of being awake. Truth be told my waking life isn't bad at all. It has its downsides like everyone else's but its comfortable. Why would I rather spend my time dreaming? Does anyone else feel this way? I think it could be all the research on lucid dreaming and whatnot but I'm not sure.

Comments

• ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I was like that for a while. I think its origins might be metabolic but supported through psychological apathy.

Plus you know, dreams are fucking amazing and normal life can be boring.

I suggest you try dreaming while awake, not being awake while dreaming (lucid dreaming), that is, seize your dreams. Or at least have a dream, a passion.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited July 2010
    That might could work. I stopped having a passion or real goal for life after I stopped drugs. I'll need to come up with something but I'll try. Thanks.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    i suggest you try dreaming while awake, not being awake while dreaming (lucid dreaming), that is, seize your dreams. Or at least have a dream, a passion.

qft
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    I love dreaming. I get to do things that I would never be able to do in real life.

Fly a spaceship? Done.
    Start a rebellion? Done.
    Run up the side of a building? Done.
    Be my own video game character? Done.
    Run from a giant troll? Done.
    Other stuff? Done.
  • TackzoTackzo Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I know what you mean. I sort of look forward when I go to sleep because basicaly I know i'm going to go somewhere and do something, and I don't know where i'm gonna go or what i'm gonna do.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    I get upset when I wake up from an amazing dream. When I say upset, I really mean, like, I'm unable to focus and I just spend the rest of the day staring into empty space. I sometimes like think that my dream life is my actual life. 80% of my dreams are lucid, and it's pretty fucked up knowing I'm gonna wake up and go back to doing shit in reality.

Depressing, eh?
  • edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    I get upset when I wake up from an amazing dream. When I say upset, I really mean, like, I'm unable to focus and I just spend the rest of the day staring into empty space. I sometimes like think that my dream life is my actual life. 80% of my dreams are lucid, and it's pretty fucked up knowing I'm gonna wake up and go back to doing shit in reality.

Depressing, eh?

Many of my dreams often end in me dying, either by murder, car wreck, or falling. Or I have this one dream where I'm in the attic/basement of my grandparents' house and have the feeling of being watched (in a stalkerish/malevolent way) while dreaming this. That's one reason I sleep with a knife on me and a large stick nearby.
    edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    80% of my dreams are lucid, and it's pretty fucked up knowing I'm gonna wake up and go back to doing shit in reality.

Yeah that happens to me a lot. That could be why I miss it so much when I'm awake.
  • edited August 2010
    dreaming is so over rated. the other night I was getting molested by this big fat dude in a tuxedo, then I ended up kicking his ass and then him and his loli friend ask me to join their club and I say yes :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

how the hell does this benefit me in any way? :facepalm:
    edited August 2010
    ^ lol You got to kick a fat guy's ass. I want to do that everyday but can't for fear of incarceration.
  • edited August 2010
    you like dreaming because dream worlds are creations of your psyche, and so the laws of the external, waking life world need not apply in dreams (i.e., you can be on a pirate ship one moment and then on a highway 500 years in the future). so, in your dreams, you can achieve superhuman feats and experience some really exciting scenarios that you most likely won't ever have in waking life.

However, if you spent all of your time dreaming, you might prefer waking life--the grass always looks greener on the other side. dreams don't have much continuity, while waking life is one successive moment after the other. while i think it's healthy to entertain the idea that you might be happier in an unconscious state than in waking life, i don't recommend vegging on it. One, you can't spend your life sleeping and dreaming--it's not possible. Two--you should focus your efforts on achieving the goals you set for yourself in waking life.

back when I was going through some tough times myself, I couldn't wait until I fell asleep so I could escape consciousness. But now, I really enjoy my life, and I look forward to waking up and continuing with it. I don't view sleep or dreams as a burden or distraction from reality--they're just another part of daily life. I enjoy dreaming, but I like being awake, too, because I'm fairly certain that dreams, while entertaining, are essentially meaningless.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    dreaming is so over rated. the other night I was getting molested by this big fat dude in a tuxedo, then I ended up kicking his ass and then him and his loli friend ask me to join their club and I say yes :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

how the hell does this benefit me in any way? :facepalm:

I wish I had dreams like this. Btw when I looked at your avatar I lol'd pretty hard. Haha just saiyan. Good one.
  • ScoobyScooby Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Take a bunch of psychedelics while you're awake- then you'll pretty much be dreaming 24/7!!
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited August 2010
    Scooby wrote: »
    Take a bunch of psychedelics while you're awake- then you'll pretty much be dreaming 24/7!!

Fuckin' a.
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited August 2010
    anyone who is having a problem with their dreams, smoke more weed. I havent been able to remember a dream in months, its like i just go to sleep then wake up. It takes me a while to fall asleep but after i do its just like an instant fast forward
  • edited August 2010
    My dreams are pretty bad, too.

When I wake up from a good (dreamless) night though, I just wish I were still sleeping. I can't think of anything I look forward to more than sleeping.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    What if the dream world is the real world and were all just dreaming our whole earthly existence and dont know it.
    edited August 2010
    ^ I've considered this theory and it is definitely yet another draw to wanting to dream but there is no way to really tell. Its the same as the question "Is there an afterlife". There is no way to possibly know.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    What if the dream world is the real world and were all just dreaming our whole earthly existence and dont know it.

I often say this same thing. What if we are just some fat asses dream that he concocted in his sleep and it will all just end sometime.
  • vOmitreevOmitree Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    What if that fat ass just finished a a 24 ounce burger though, and is now forever trapped in a never ending cycle of "sleep" where he is doomed to complete the digestion of the burger, for which there will never be any hope of complete digestion. Wut IF it just keeps on going until he gets cancer? how will that reflect on the rest of the "universe?"
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    vOmitree wrote: »
    What if that fat ass just finished a a 24 ounce burger though, and is now forever trapped in a never ending cycle of "sleep" where he is doomed to complete the digestion of the burger, for which there will never be any hope of complete digestion. Wut IF it just keeps on going until he gets cancer? how will that reflect on the rest of the "universe?"

There are so many things to think about when talking about the big fat guy that created us as a dream. Maybe when he dies and gets cancer we just stop.
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited August 2010
    My dreams are usually ether sexual or violent/grisly. Hell, just the other night i dreamt that i ripped out a good 6-7 teeth with a pair of pliers, blood was spewing out of my mouth and i woke up choking... Weird shit.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    My dreams are usually ether sexual or violent/grisly. Hell, just the other night i dreamt that i ripped out a good 6-7 teeth with a pair of pliers, blood was spewing out of my mouth and i woke up choking... Weird shit.

There's many possibilites, but here's a thought: Perhaps you don't sleep too well, and your dreams are a mental manifestation of what you feel physically. So your brain creates that situation to explain any discomfort.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    ^
    If he was actually doing this in his sleep he would wake up in so much pain. Maybe he sleeps and grinds his teeth well he is doing so and that causes him to dream this. Or maybe while protecting hank and dean he smashed 7 teeth out of the monarch kings men and thats were his dream come. Or maybe a flying pig came in and destroyed him.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2010
    OP i am with you. I used to insist on getting an early night because my dreams were like a series of awesome stories.
  • edited August 2010
    I wish I could go back to certain dreams and have them again.
  • edited August 2010
    I wish I could go back to certain dreams and have them again.

Focus on that dream before you go to sleep every night. Eventually you'll probably have it.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    Focus on that dream before you go to sleep every night. Eventually you'll probably have it.

I do this all the time.
  • seanicusseanicus New Arrival
    edited September 2010
    I feel the same way, OP. Dreams are so much better than my regular life. It's like a movie you're really into, but still makes sense.