Why Alcohol Makes You Pee More [Published]

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited March 2011 in Man Cave
If you're like me you like to drink alcohol from time to time and have noticed that when you do, whether it be hard liquor or booze you always end up peeing a lot more than normal. Here is an informative explaining why it is that when having a good time with alcohol you seem to visit the water closet more often.

The fact of the matter is this: alcohol is a diuretic. Essentially for every bit of alcohol that your kidney does a double take. In fact for every 1g of alcohol that you intake you pee an extra 10ml. That's a lot!

This explanation works fine for casual drinkers (drinking a few to be sociable) but this is Totse and I'm sure plenty of you are like me and drink for what I consider the right reason: to get drunk. This means drinking a substantial amount of alcohol in a short period of time. When you do this the there is that very obvious effect added to the previously mentioned: you're drinking a lot. If you were to drink the equivalent in say water or soda you would pee a lot then too but still not as much because of alcohol being a diuretic.

You might think that excreting so much urine would help with the hangover in the morning but this is not so. Hangovers are essentially just you being very dehydrated so since you're peeing so much more instead of helping it worsens the hangover. What can you do though? Try to hold it in? Good luck!

tl:dr Alcohol makes you pee more because it is a diuretic and because when you drink it you ingest a lot of liquid which has to be removed by peeing which makes your hangover worse.

Comments

• KowKow Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Pretty much spot on.

Hangovers are also due to the liver running out of the enzyme that helps metabolize alcohol and the "toxins" in the alcohol. Eggs happen to have this protein which is why eggs are a wonderful hangover food.

So in short: Drink a ton of water during drinking and before you go to sleep. Drink more water in the morning and eat eggs to alleviate any hangover that might happen.

And remember kids: the clearer the alcohol, the less likely a hangover will happen. Darker alcohol has more "toxins" than clear alcohol which is closer to pure ethanol.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Basically alcohol impedes Vasopressin or Anti-Diuretic Hormone production. Water won't get reabsorbed, so you'll have to pee it out.
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    Also keep in mind: the best hangover cure's just another beer! :D
  • edited August 2010
    Kow wrote: »
    Pretty much spot on.

Hangovers are also due to the liver running out of the enzyme that helps metabolize alcohol and the "toxins" in the alcohol. Eggs happen to have this protein which is why eggs are a wonderful hangover food.

So in short: Drink a ton of water during drinking and before you go to sleep. Drink more water in the morning and eat eggs to alleviate any hangover that might happen.

And remember kids: the clearer the alcohol, the less likely a hangover will happen. Darker alcohol has more "toxins" than clear alcohol which is closer to pure ethanol.

Then how come if I drink a bottle of Vodka, I'll have the shittiest hangover ever in the morning? Compared to a bunch of beer or cider, where I wont really have much of a hangover at all.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    I usually down a gallon of milk throughout the night after drinking. Gives me the shits the next morning, but at least I don't feel nauseous or have a headache.
  • edited September 2010
    I usually drink a ton of water before sleeping, then eat some eggs in the morning. :D
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited October 2010
    Bump.

Because as requested by the thread OP I changed it to a guide
  • racerracer Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    alcohol is liquid gold my friends. Esp the beer variety.
    during the great depression, alcohol was prohibited bec of its uninhibitive properties on females, leeding to an escalation of male predative behaviour.

;)
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited February 2011
    This is not a guide. This is common sense.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    Okay, how about this. Asians get drunk faster because they have one less enzyme. This is qft. More on the matter later when I'm off work.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited February 2011
    i thought this was obvious
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011
    Asians Get drunker quicker because the advent of fermented beverages took place later in history there, and so there wasn't a genetic mutation that was already in place from western populations that lets them process ethanol at a quicker pace and also suffer from alcohol flush syndrome
  • edited February 2011
    I just felt the effects of drinking a lot of alcohol. I've been pissing like a badass for the last hour :D
  • thickfreaknessthickfreakness Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    My last stop before going to sleep after a night of drinking, even after taking a piss is grabbing the water filter out of the fridge and drinking the entire fucking thing down in 1 chug. Never feel a headache in the morning. Can't say im totally sharp, but at least theres no stabbing pain
  • starfox223starfox223 Regular
    edited March 2011
    Omg I glad i found this. I've been arguing with a friend who thinks this is BS. But now I can show him a person who gave a logical explanation.
  • 100100 Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
  • 100100 Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
  • Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
    edited March 2011
    Interesting. Good post.