Shooting yourself in the head

edited September 2010 in Man Cave
Is there any particular way in which to do this? Like, depending on where you put your gun, is there a higher/lower chance of dying/staying alive?

If anyone was to ever want to shoot themselves, then they should do it properly, don'tcha think?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Probably stick it in your mouth so the shot severs the brain stem. Just dont miss.
  • edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Probably stick it in your mouth so the shot severs the brain stem. Just dont miss.

I heard that shooting in the mouth is a bad idea, as you might miss and go through the back of your neck or whatever. Also the bullet has further to travel, so if you have a shitty gun then it might not work as great.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »

AFAIK the chance of hitting vital parts of your brain is much smaller when you put it in your mouth. But there is a huge chance of hitting your spinal cord without hitting any major arteries so you're gonna live and spend the rest of your life paralyzed from the neck down and steer a wheelchair with your tongue. And it's really friggin hard to kill yourself while you can't move much more than your tongue and eyelids. I'd use a decent caliber shotgun slug to the side of my head. Pretty much blows your head away. Still, there are people who survived this ...

If you want to kill yourself in a reliable way, jump off a high building. Really high. Really, really friggin high. That's about the only reliable method. Very, very few people survive falling down a building that is high enough, the way down is really fun and you barely feel it.

Hanging? Works if done properly. However, there's a lot that can go wrong:
    • The cord can break
    • The thing you tied the cord to can break
    • The knots can be tied improperly and come loose
    • If you don't fall from high enough to break your neck you'll slowly choke to death, which is quite the sexual thrill, but that gives friends / family / random bystanders a long time to cut you down and revive you
    • and you usually piss and / or shit yourself

Cutting your wrists? Very unreliable. Very, very unreliable.
    • You don't cut in the right place / way (it's down the road, not across the street)
    • You don't cut deep enough
    • The bleeding stops before you're dead (strange thing: human arteries don't actually want to bleed! they tend to close themselves, especially when you lay down flat in a depressed relaxation! go figure!)
    • It actually takes quite a while before you're dead, which gives you a lot of chance for second thoughts and calling an ambulance / people walking in on you and saving your precious little life you wanna get rid of so desperately

Pills? About a reliable as cutting your wrists, usually, unless you're a chemist and know what to take.
    • Usually people take enough pills to do quite a lot of damage but not enough to actually kill themselves
    • It takes a while to die, so again, second thoughts and people disturbing you while you're already disturbed enough
    • It can cause excruciating pains for quite a while (while you're not sure you'll actually die)

Gas? Barely ever effective, unless you blow up the whole building, in which case you take a lot of innocent people with you if you live in an apartment.

Carbon monoxide poisoning? Again very unreliable, slow, very painful and until you're actually dead they can revive you but you'll have major brain damage.

Hand grenade? Only really effective if you put it in your mouth or go lay on top of it. otherwise you just loose a limb and get a lot of scars.

Getting hit by a train? If you make sure the wheels behead you, and you're sure the train will be driving fast enough so it can't stop when the driver sees you, and you're sure nobody will see you waiting, call emergency services and have them stop the train; very effective. Standing in front of it with arms wide open? Not so effective. Better than playing in traffic because a train is usually faster and heavier than a car, but still, not foolproof.

Drowning yourself? Pretty darn hard if you can swim, this friggin survival instinct thing is going to make you swim even if you don't want to. And it seems like a horrible way to die, but that may be just me. Off course, if you can jump off an ocean liner in the middle of the pacific while nobody sees you you're golden. Especially in winter. The shock of falling in water of 0°C is usually enough to knock you unconscious, and if not you can't swim any longer than 10 minutes because the cold stiffens your muscles so unless you're wearing a life vest you won't survive.

Pulling a gun on a cop? Murphy's law - you're going to pick the one cop who can't shoot straight / doesn't want to kill people and goes running / can shoot well enough to render you harmless without killing you.

Holding your breath? Pretty much impossible. Survival instinct.

I guess I covered all the major players by now, but you can always ask me to cover more of them. It's a subject I find incredibly interesting. And no, I'm not suicidal and I've never been and I don't think I ever will be. Just a regular Totsean with the usual weird fascinations.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    ^^^^^^ Holding your breath wont kill not because of survival instinct but because once you pass out you'll automatically breath:o:o
  • FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    You ever heard of respiratory failure and "California Knock Out"?
    You can lower your heart/breathing rate, to the point that you either pass out or die/coma. And BAM! your dead. I had a few past associates die from the game so it's safe to say you'll die too. Great thing is... it doesn't hurt, maybe a small headache.

And for the gun thing... point your barrel at your skull's base at the back of the neck. Sort of like your mimicking an execution.
    Pons_corpus.jpg
    Try map the projection of the bullet so it goes through the Cerebellum and the Medulla O. for effectiveness.
    Secondly you can always shoot yourself in the heart, which is easy and resembles a fatal heat attack.

You could also kill yourself with Datura Stramonium, which you can try to afflict a lethal dose(one whole plant). Check http://erowid.org for more details.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    If you get shot in the cheek that's gangsta, so shooting yourself in the cheek is probably g-mo (g emo) or something :thumbsup:
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    California knockout? Never heard of it. Seems like a fun game. To let somebody else play anyway, I like my braincells. From what I gather on a quick google search it seems like there's two ways two play: holding your breath and hyperventilating. Anybody know what the most effective way would be?
  • edited August 2010
    Amie wrote: »
    California knockout? Never heard of it. Seems like a fun game. To let somebody else play anyway, I like my braincells. From what I gather on a quick google search it seems like there's two ways two play: holding your breath and hyperventilating. Anybody know what the most effective way would be?

We used to play this at school. Basically hyperventilating till you're feeling faint, then getting someone to push really hard on your chest against a wall. The person then falls to the floor and everyone else laughs at them. I remember my friend taking a video of it once, I'll see if I can get it from someone.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSznz6cgmWug7prZA1St85qxxld7B869whWbU0grcDIczhfzMM&t=1&usg=__9kFNGqXKwu8HAjMz28a0fHTKxoU=
    According to CSI, a .22 caliber projectile lacks the velocity to exit the skull/create an exit wound, and instead ricochets internally. I guess a round entering the eye socket would be pretty lethal by this logic..
  • FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    We used to play this at school. Basically hyperventilating till you're feeling faint, then getting someone to push really hard on your chest against a wall. The person then falls to the floor and everyone else laughs at them. I remember my friend taking a video of it once, I'll see if I can get it from someone.

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1250550997/Tough_Guy_Has_Seizure_After_Getting_Choked_Out
    This should be it.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    stres wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSznz6cgmWug7prZA1St85qxxld7B869whWbU0grcDIczhfzMM&t=1&usg=__9kFNGqXKwu8HAjMz28a0fHTKxoU=
    According to CSI, a .22 caliber projectile lacks the velocity to exit the skull/create an exit wound, and instead ricochets internally. I guess a round entering the eye socket would be pretty lethal by this logic..

My friend's dad knew a guy who died from a .22. I forget if it went in his eye or his heart.
  • edited August 2010
    Whoever said CO poisoning is unreliable is either lying or very misinformed about the science of it. Attempting to do this with the classic hose to window car method; yes. Almost all new cars have convertors tha reduce the CO levels drastically. You'll feel sick from the gas and probably won't die.

Best bet is to find a small room, seal up any ventilation source (even keyholes in doors), get a small BBQ grill filled with about half a square foot of charcoal briquettes. Provided the room is about 8x8 metres, the amount of CO produced by that amount of charcoal will have you dead in around 45 minutes. It's tasteless, odourless and colourless. You don't feel a thing. After about 10 minutes you start feeling really, really tired and pass out. No pain whatsoever.

I know this because I did it. Unfortunately I was 'discovered' after half an hour under the gas. Was taken to hospital ICU in a coma and very nearly didn't make it. I woke up a day later feeling worse than I've ever felt in my life, but miraculously I suffered no brain damage. The hospital psychiatrist wanted me there for a week under 'supervison' in case I attemted something again. I said fuck it and demanded to go home. It took about a week for the poison to work itself out my body.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    Gee, I always thought it was extremely uncomfortable to die from CO poisoning. But I'm not gonna question your experience.

Anyway, the unreliability bit is because most people don't seal off the room well enough / get found before they're dead / screw it up another way. Not because you can't die of CO poisoning, people die of it every winter. But very few people who try to kill themselves that way succeed.

Just about any suicide method is effective if done the right way, but jumping from a (very) high building is about the most foolproof way to go and it requires zero preparation.
  • RuptureRupture Regular
    edited August 2010
    Whoever said CO poisoning is unreliable is either lying or very misinformed about the science of it. Attempting to do this with the classic hose to window car method; yes. Almost all new cars have convertors tha reduce the CO levels drastically. You'll feel sick from the gas and probably won't die.

Best bet is to find a small room, seal up any ventilation source (even keyholes in doors), get a small BBQ grill filled with about half a square foot of charcoal briquettes. Provided the room is about 8x8 metres, the amount of CO produced by that amount of charcoal will have you dead in around 45 minutes. It's tasteless, odourless and colourless. You don't feel a thing. After about 10 minutes you start feeling really, really tired and pass out. No pain whatsoever.

I know this because I did it. Unfortunately I was 'discovered' after half an hour under the gas. Was taken to hospital ICU in a coma and very nearly didn't make it. I woke up a day later feeling worse than I've ever felt in my life, but miraculously I suffered no brain damage. The hospital psychiatrist wanted me there for a week under 'supervison' in case I attemted something again. I said fuck it and demanded to go home. It took about a week for the poison to work itself out my body.

You can't even kill yourself right.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't get why people can't suicide properly. Shooting yourself in the face shouldn't result in fail.
  • BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
    edited August 2010
    In Shutter Island that Nazi General guy failed to commit suicide. The general was in so much agony. Fail or not that type of execution is very painful.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited August 2010
    The shock of a bullet entering your brain should knock you unconcious, and from there you'd simply bleed out.
  • edited August 2010
    In Shutter Island that Nazi General guy failed to commit suicide. The general was in so much agony. Fail or not that type of execution is very painful.

That looked so bad, half his face was missing xD
  • edited September 2010
    Aim for the reticular formation and you're golden
  • RuptureRupture Regular
    edited September 2010
    Well I guess if you really go for the kill, then ingest a lethal amount of cyanide right before you jump from the TaiPei101 top floor and shoot yourself in the face with a .50 Desert Eagle as you fall.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited September 2010
    Rupture wrote: »
    Well I guess if you really go for the kill, then ingest a lethal amount of cyanide right before you jump from the TaiPei101 top floor and shoot yourself in the face with a .50 Desert Eagle as you fall.

This. Don't forget a spike pit directly underneath the landing zone.
  • MisterfisterMisterfister New Arrival
    edited September 2010
    I don't know exactly where you would have to shoot to kill yourself instantly but i do know that you don't want to shoot yourself in the head and still be alive.That happened to Richard Jeni when he shot himself, he started seizing and died in the hospital. If i ever wanted to kill my self i would buy a machine gun and place it right under my chin aiming at my brain.

well, if you dont want to live and do it, i'd say get a shotgun and aim at like the brain stem and brain.