Restrictions?

KamuyKamuy Acolyte
edited August 2010 in Help and Suggestions
I was thinking today about the possible implications of imposing restrictions on certain sections of totse to only allow access to members. So in theory we restrict access to say 'ego' and 'science' or whatever, they probably dont bring in much traffic in from search engines so the number of incoming visitors isn't affected. Visitors will be annoyed that they just cant view those sections and be compelled to sign up to see whats going on. The same could also be done with S&A just whack a '18+ only' note on it and restrict access to members only, visitors will be intrigued and sign up; once they do their only one step away from making a post.
What do you guys think about this idea?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    The down side is that we might turn away users who just can't be bothered to sign up to see the information. After all, we do promote freedom of information, and locking things down doesn't make it very free. Anyway, I see where you're coming from.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Locking down information doesn't work. If you lock it down, the user will simply move to some place else. Remember Internet users are lazy, it's best if you have creative content and the user is compelled to add his input.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, we need more imput.
  • KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Locking down information doesn't work. If you lock it down, the user will simply move to some place else. Remember Internet users are lazy, it's best if you have creative content and the user is compelled to add his input.

So you don't see how it would be beneficial to actually provide an incentive to sign up? Disregard the sections I mentioned before; how would it hurt locking down an internal based discussion area i.e. a area containing trivial information that only members would find interesting.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    So you're asking for a secret forum. I think Dfg could arrange that... Minimum post requirement too.