Is There a Way I Can...

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
I'm not very computer savvy. I know enough to get by and not completely fuck my computer with viruses. I have annoying neighbors who would love to use my bandwidth and was wondering if there is anyway that I can hide my network from them. I know I can lock it but I want to know if I can make it invisible. Thanks guys.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Wireless network?

If yes, then go into the router's config (192.168.0.1 into your browser), and find the wireless settings. There should be an option to turn off "Wireless network broadcasting" or something similar.

Looks like this on my router...

27PMwireless.png

You'd untick that box.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    Aha! As I said before I'm not too savvy with comp stuff, especially networking. I just know how to log onto networks and I've set one up a couple of times. Thanks a lot. I feel like a jackass for not having known that.
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I think by doing that you'll end up having to enter your SSID Wifi network information when you connect via a new device because your network won't be detected automatically, I could be wrong .
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    ^ Was wondering about that since invisible doesn't mean nonexistent. I just need to hide the network from my neighbors but still access it. That should work. I'll try it out tomorrow.
  • edited August 2010
    Awesome. Let me know if this works, I've never actually tried it before :D