My mouse wheel squeaks

edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
And I can't figure out what's causing it. It was a cheap mouse (I didn't exactly pay for it at all) and I took it apart the other day to see if I could fix it... but nothing seemed wrong at all.

Any ideas?

Comments

• TLVTLV Regular
    edited August 2010
    My old mouse used to do it, it just eventually stopped after a time.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    You know, scrolling over 200 rpm with a shitty mouse will wear down the lubrication thus leading to your mouse's unbearable squeaking.
  • edited August 2010
    Maybe I do actually need to lube it up. I could use vaseline, that stuff is nice and greasy.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make things stop.
  • edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make things stop.

I was concerned about the electical components inside though. I don't want WD-40 spilling around inside my mouse, so maybe a grease based lube like Vaseline would work better.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Oil is non-conductive, so yeah, WD-40.

l_bb7dd6e3bc0e4a9227c88d4a7de742ae.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    Never knew WD-40 was non conductive :facepalm:

I was kinda thinking about the fact that the oil might start leaking out of the mouse anyway. But eh, I'll give it a shot.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, WD-40 is mostly a solvent, not a lubricant. the difference comes down to this: solvents (such as WD-40) do not properly lubricate as themselves. They lessen friction a bit, like most fluids, but they are not lubricants and should not be used instead of a proper lubricant. The reason many people claim success using WD-40 as a lubricant is because the solvent makes the remnants of real lube which hardened trough use fluid again, and WD-40 also leaves a light coating of oil itself after it dries. This is, however, not sufficient to lube parts which are exposed to high-speed friction such as chains, engine parts etc.

WD-40 is great to clean rusty, sticky-greasy parts, but wipe it all off and use a real lubricant on them before using them again.

Off course, on a computer mouse, this whole technical debate is quite useless as the rotation speed is very low and WD-40 will do a fine job of lubricating it. Nonetheless, I wouldn't use WD-40 on it, some plastics are damaged by WD-40. I think I'd go for vaseline myself, that way your hands also don't smell of WD-40 every time you use your mouse.
    edited August 2010
    WD-40 is not a solvent. It was designed as a lubricant/protectant. It won't dissolve most things, especially ABS plastic.

WD 40 is simply a heavy weight hydrocarbon(petroleum jelly) dissolved in a light weight hydrocarbon (naphtha). This solution flows on an order of magnitude easier than petroleum jelly. Then when the solution finds it's way into every nook and cranny, the naphtha evaporates after about a day and leaves the jelly behind. The jelly then stays there for years, lubricating and keeping water out.

WD-40 = Water Displacement formula, attempt 40.
  • edited August 2010
    WD-40 is not a solvent. It was designed as a lubricant/protectant. It won't dissolve most things, especially ABS plastic.

WD 40 is simply a heavy weight hydrocarbon(petroleum jelly) dissolved in a light weight hydrocarbon (naphtha). This solution flows on an order of magnitude easier than petroleum jelly. Then when the solution finds it's way into every nook and cranny, the naphtha evaporates after about a day and leaves the jelly behind. The jelly then stays there for years, lubricating and keeping water out.

Wow, thats awesome. So, you're saying that after a while, the liquid consistency of it goes away and you're left with something a little more like vaseline?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome, never knew how WD-40 worked. Just that it did :p

Pretty much the only time you'll have problems with it acting as a solvent is on greasy stuff, so don't use it on your bike chains. Your mouse is perfectly safe, however.
    edited August 2010
    Yes. That's what it is designed to do.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010

As I said, it is mostly a solvent (60-70%), and it leaves behind a slight coating of light oil (<25%, according to the MSDS) when the solvent is evaporated. Suitable for low-speed things like door hinges / mouse wheels, completely unsuitable for engine parts, chains, axles etc.

Naphta is in fact a solvent. It is used to wash greasy stuff. It will dissolve and remove any petroleum-based lubricant / glue. Plastic apparently not.

And I still wouldn't use it on my mousewheel, but that's my personal opinion. I don't wanna smell it all the time.
    edited August 2010
    Well I enjoy the smell of WD-40. :mad: