How do you feel about ACTA?

AKIRAAKIRA Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Well i know its going to hinder my downloading uploading of torrents and shit, and if you've been under a rock about ACTA it is the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which is going to put a strict law on pirated goods.

Read up!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

For those of us in the US, Obama himself said that he wanted to pass this, and that even if you google a *insert movie name here* torrent download, to be federal offense.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't they try to pass these things all the time everywhere? Nothing to worry about, it probably won't happen.
  • edited August 2010
    That would totally suck to have something like that passed... Fuck. Search for something on Google and risk a federal offence? Fuck that.
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Don't they try to pass these things all the time everywhere? Nothing to worry about, it probably won't happen.

It's been in the works since 2006, but this is big one, this cracks down on generic medicine in china, pirated shit on the internet, everything thats counterfeited.
  • edited August 2010
    If one more act is passed that kills our freedom, I'm going to break things.
    edited August 2010
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2010
    It probably will be passed, but i seriously doubt it will be implemented.

Give it a year and people will have forgotten about it and get on with their lives as normal. The law is only there if you care about it.
    Look at the Digital Economy Bill here in the UK. if anything, my torrent speeds have improved!

I never did like Obama. Same shit, different guy.
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited August 2010
    Just another way of control and limiting our freedoms.

Same as the Patriot Act.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited August 2010
    i don't quite follow the freedom = violating copyright aspect of it. i don't really have an opinion either way, but i doubt this will be enforced. I see it as a sticker-on-a-mattress law
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Why don't they stop the chinese from stealing copyrighted or patented technology? They have knockoff iphones, ipods, etc. They steal trade secrets from US companies. Why don't they stop that kind of thing instead of dicking around with filesharing, which doesn't do shit.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    OMG poor babies. You can't STEAL movies and software anymore.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited September 2010
    If anything pirating music has led me to buy more albums and dvds of bands I like and bands I never would have heard of otherwise. In fact, almost all of the bands I listen too by choice I found out about from file sharing. Sure I download their discographies but I buy their cds when I have the money and can find them.
    edited September 2010
    If anything pirating music has led me to buy more albums and dvds of bands I like and bands I never would have heard of otherwise. In fact, almost all of the bands I listen too by choice I found out about from file sharing. Sure I download their discographies but I buy their cds when I have the money and can find them.

This. If it wasn't for Limewire and then torrents, I'd still be listening to BSB.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010

This. I find bands I'd never have been exposed to, and then I buy cds, posters and other stuff from the ones I like.