Leaving electronics in direct sunlight

edited September 2010 in Tech & Games
Are there any adverse effects to leaving electronics in direct sunlight? Things such as an iPod, cell phone, etc. Would they get damaged at all in direct sunlight?

Thanks.

Comments

• BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited August 2010
    They will get hot, plastics or internal components could melt/overheat. It's best not to do it but it's not too much of a problem...
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited August 2010
    Certain types of plastic also fade and get colour stained. My old white MS mouse was in the sun for such a long time and ended up getting a yellow coloured tinge on half of it that I couldn't clean off :(
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited August 2010
    I lost a gameboy color by leaving it on my bed in direct sunlight. The screen cracked.

Skittles, look up retrobrite, its a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and oxyclean (along with a couple other things) that removes yellowing from plastic when exposed to sunlight.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Electronic manuals specifically warn about direct Sunlight. Avoid if possible, it will damage your device depending on the intensity of the Sunlight.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    I do my best not to leave any of my electronics in direct sunlight and definitely never in my car.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    Skittles, look up retrobrite, its a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and oxyclean (along with a couple other things) that removes yellowing from plastic when exposed to sunlight.

This. I use that method when I repair radios. Makes ones from the 1940's look new again.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    I lost a gameboy color by leaving it on my bed in direct sunlight. The screen cracked.

Thanks. I have a new mouse now anyway but I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens again :thumbsup:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    Back on topic, in general it's a bad idea. Here's a few things that can go wrong...

Capacitors pop,
    Batteries leak,
    Plastic deforms,
    Poorly designed LCDs may crack,
    etc...
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks for the information. I left my cell phone in sunlight (in fact I think it's still there now) and I wondered if it would get damaged.

If you're wondering why I didn't move it - it was drying, I got it wet.