Your Biggest "My Mind is Blown" Moment

SkittlesSkittles Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
What game has given you the biggest "My mind is blown" moment? You know the type that gives you tingles down your spine and makes you think, "holy shit... what the... I don't even... that. was. awesome :eek:"

For me it was in GTA San Andreas when I first jumped into a plane and flew to the desert area where there was a huge satellite dish and dam. It was the first time I had ever seen a game of that size and scale. These days its pretty common though :(

How about you guys?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Portal might have blown my mind had the "The cake is a lie" not been so widespread around the internet.

When I was a kid, Diablo struck me cause that dead guy in front of the church said "That bastard led us into a trap!" and back then I thought 'bastard' was a huge swear word, so I went around telling people that there's swear words in games :o
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Playing GTA: San Andreas the first time through was an all-around mindfuck because like Skittles said, it was hard to conceptualize such a massive living world.

Also, the first time I played, I was about 30 minutes into the game when a plane crashed next to me. That was fucking creepy.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited August 2010
    MGS4 whenever you do battle with Liquid while you're in Rex and he's in Ray. Like at first when I got to operate Rex I was like "Okay, cool, I'm just going to drive this thing on out of here safely and continue on my bad ass Solid Snake way" but then I get outside and there's fucking Liquid in Ray all like "Come on bitch, it's go time" so then I get to fucking fight his big ass robot monster with my big ass robot monster and all I could do was sit there and play through the fight like "WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH THIS IS FUCKING AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOMMMMMMMMMMMME!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:"

Best moment I've ever had playing a video game.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    All of prototype. That game was so full of win it was nuts.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    Darth Revan
  • McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited August 2010
    When I first encountered MissingNo. in Pokemon. My kiddie brain just couldn't comprehend why something like that would be in the game, as I guess I didn't know what a glitch was back then.

When I thought I had beaten Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time, and then he grew into that big monster (Ganon).

Another was when me and a friend discovered this glitch in Jak II where you do some certain things to get over a boundary (Which was a wall in the city). Then you fall into this area with water, where you can either keep swimming underground, or if you swim over the "edge" you fall and die. I guess it was so mind-blowing because we thought nobody else knew about it, and it's possible that is true.

I guess I really haven't had a moment like that since I was younger, I'm just not really that impressed by things in games anymore. :(
  • edited August 2010
    Probably when I got my hands on a copy of GTA 3 for the first time ever. I was amazed at the freedom and adventure of the game. Being able to walk around as a pedestrian, killing people and stealing cars. Awesome!
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    All of prototype. That game was so full of win it was nuts.

As badass as the concept was, I absolutely loathed the game after trying to go for most of the achievements. The AI is just nuts. Hard Mode isn't even fair.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Probably when I got my hands on a copy of GTA 3 for the first time ever. I was amazed at the freedom and adventure of the game. Being able to walk around as a pedestrian, killing people and stealing cars. Awesome!

This. I used to play GTA 2 all the time and when I saw Grand theft auto with 3d graphics and all that it was crazy. Now im just thinking about how fail GTA4 really was compared to games like Vice city and San Andreas.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    Also, the first time I played, I was about 30 minutes into the game when a plane crashed next to me. That was fucking creepy.

I remember getting that a lot too! Pity GTA IV went backwards in terms of scale and detail. Hopefully the next will be like an upgraded San Andreas!

What I'm really waiting to see is if someone does an open world type game where there are no boundaries. A world where you can travel right around the world and come back to where you started. Full planets, like they did with the small planets in the Ratchet and Clank games but x100
    edited August 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    What I'm really waiting to see is if someone does an open world type game where there are no boundaries. A world where you can travel right around the world and come back to where you started. Full planets, like they did with the small planets in the Ratchet and Clank games but x100

It's called Real Life :p
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010

Give it ten years, and that'll be the norm.
  • Swamp JunkySwamp Junky Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I remember getting that a lot too! Pity GTA IV went backwards in terms of scale and detail. Hopefully the next will be like an upgraded San Andreas!

Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Exiting the sewer in Oblivion is the only mind blowing moment I can think of right now. I think it was only because of how long I was waiting for that game though.
  • edited August 2010
    My mind was blown at the ending to Half Life 2, after the big explosion and everything stops. I was like, WAAAAAAT
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    I had a mind-blow when I first walked out of the Vault in Fallout 3. I was like, "Holy shit, I'm in Hell. And it's beautiful."
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited August 2010
    Game map size in Just Cause 2

Boss size in Shadow of the Colousus

Graphics @ highest on Crysis
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited August 2010
    Devil Survivor. Noaya's route, when everyone in your team leaves you (because they don't like the idea of taking on god) except Atsuro (even though he also disagrees but he sticks around because he doesn't want to ditch MC [you]) . Wow. Spoilers to the max.
  • kaloosakaloosa Regular
    edited August 2010
    The dogs jumping through the hall windows in the first Resident Evil when I was about 5 or 6. God damn!
  • jaconjacon Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    I had a mind-blow when I first walked out of the Vault in Fallout 3. I was like, "Holy shit, I'm in Hell. And it's beautiful."

So true dude.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited September 2010
    jacon wrote: »
    So true dude.

I also had that uneasiness of like "Holy shit, what do I do now?"
  • HGMIVHGMIV Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    I think it was in Modern Warfare when the nuke blew. Probably just because they actually went there, I'd never seen that really happen in a game. Plus, it was just fucking AWESOME.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    You all just lost the game.
    But for real I would say at the end of the new splinter cell and you are ordered to kill your friend on the plane. And at the end of modern warfare two when you get stabbed in the chest and pull it out and throw it at sheapred. I was like what the fuck.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2010
    At the end of Fallout 3, when I went into the chamber and typed 2-1-6 out of pure instinct instead of looking for it in my PipBoy. And the ending was pretty mind blowing anyway.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited September 2010
    Did anybody ever figure out how to get a mew on pokemon red or blue? My friend found a glitch for it and I remember playing pokemon stadium at a friends house and sending out a mew to her surprise.

Also, playing BF:BC2 on max graphic settings gave me an orgasm.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited September 2010
    HL2 ep2 spoilers
    when eli dies :(:(:(:(:(:( I almost cried
    edited September 2010
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited September 2010
    dude i used spoiler tags, what u talkin about
    edited September 2010
    Don't worry, I played it. Just makes me really sad to remember it.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    HL2 ep2 spoilers
    when eli dies :(:(:(:(:(:( I almost cried
    Lol why does the black guy always die first?
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    ^
    Because the token black guys die first in everything except horror movies. There always somewhere in the middle there.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited September 2010
    for me it was the transition between GTA2 on PS1 and GTA3 on PS2. The opening cutscene was amazing.
  • edited September 2010
    Ahh man, I loved that cutscene. In fact, for some reason I have the MP3 file from that soundtrack on my iPod, where the news reporter is talking about the heist etc.

Amazing game.