How does the credit card method work?

edited September 2010 in Man Cave
In terms of lockpicking here, how do you actually credit card a door? I think the last time I tried, I snapped my credit card in half and the bank got pissed off at me :facepalm:

A little help, please?

Comments

• KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    doory.gif
    Your card,knife, ruler or whatever needs to strike the latch bolt around where the red line is. When you put some pressure on it the bolt will retract, turn the handle when you do it.
    Some doors will have a wood trim to conceal the latch, if that's the case your going to need to pry it abit to expose the latch behind it.
    Also dead bolts cant be carded because they don't have a taper which means no leverage to retract the bolt.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    Kamuy wrote: »
    doory.gif
    Your card,knife, ruler or whatever needs to strike the latch bolt around where the red line is. When you put some pressure on it the bolt will retract, turn the handle when you do it.
    Some doors will have a wood trim to conceal the latch, if that's the case your going to need to pry it abit to expose the latch behind it.
    Also dead bolts cant be carded because they don't have a taper which means no leverage to retract the bolt.

I've always done mine backwards to that :confused: - I open the at the flat edge not the curved part. And yeah...I've snapped cards as well. Nothing like a simple butter knife :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2010
    So this method only works on that type of lock?

Thanks for the input, by the way.
  • KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Should work for any lock that has a tapered bolt, have a look at a door just open it and lock it and see if you can push the bolt in and take note how it works.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited September 2010
    ^^yes, but some newer and better quality doorknobs have a small half round pin that contacts the strikeplate when the door is closed and locks the bolt from movement. However, most people don't know what its for, and end up installing the lock incorrectly. As such the pin doesn't contact the strikeplate, but ends up inside the strike itself. Cylindrical-Lock-3871PB-ET-.jpg

To understand how it works, simply find a door with that pin, and try pushing the latch back by hand while pushing the pin down. The latch will not move, and it effectively turns a standard doorknob into a deadbolt. The only weakness (other than picking it) is that about 80% or more of them I've come across are installed incorrectly and are still prone to the credit card method.

The way I would attack a door would be to go under the strike of a door that opens inward (towards you) and carefully wiggle it up and back towards you until the bolt is pushed back. What I like about doors that open inward is that you can generally see or feel for the half round pin and determine whether it is installed correctly or not. On a door that opens outward (away from you) Its a bit trickier as you can not see the latch as easily and the jamb blocks you from getting a good attack angle. I used to slide a card straight towards where the latch should be (align the card with the doorknob) and gently wiggle it up and down until the latch was pushed back or I felt the solid click of the half moon deadbolt mechanism I described before. This method does scratch up the card quite a bit so I recommend using an old expired card. If you break the card, you probably came across a door with a deadbolt mechanism or a door with extra tight tolerances such as an insulated exterior door.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Instead of a card, you can also use a length of string to the same effect. Only works if the door opens towards you though.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Use a stronger string like twine or even a length of wire. Thread it through behind the bolt and pull.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    That wire trick sounds pretty cool, might try it later :)