Jump Rope: Tips and Tricks to get your feet off the ground.

NamasteNamaste Regular
edited September 2010 in Life
So what do I know? I figured, I at least know this. So I decided to make this informational thread about jump rope. Just a few tips and what not to have you bouncing in no time.
281518k.jpg

Firstly, jump rope isn't hard. If you think you're hard, it's because you're making it hard. Usually the issue beginners have is they overthink it. They think it's a lot harder than it looks, but on a very basic level, just plain single bounce jumping, it's not. You don't have to jump a foot in the air, an inch or so is good, the rope isn't that big. Getting and keeping your rhythm is important, and swing from the WRISTS. A big mistake lots of beginners make is thinking it takes the whole arm. No. Small flicks of the wrist should be good enough. If you have trouble knowing when to jump, listen for when the rope hits the ground, and jumping right then usually does the trick to get you into the swing of things, but once you find a steady pace and get the rhythm down, you won't have to think about it.

Basic single bouncing is probably the most common form of jumping among people who don't do jump rope as a sport. It's simple, just jump over the rope, no rebound jumps in between.

Okay, so you got basic bounce down? Good. Now there are a hundred different ways to go from here. You don't have to want to be a world champion to find that learning a few cool tricks is a lot more fun than just basic endurance jumping, so even as conditioning for another sport, you can make it far more interesting than ten minutes of basic bounce.

There are the basic tricks you may have seen before. Criss -cross: Just cross your arms when the rope is above your head. At first, you want to start crossing really big... perhaps at the elbows, but once you gain more control, you won't need to cross that big. And then when the rope hits the ground. You jump. Simple enough. Not too hard to get.

And then there is backwards basic bounce, backwards criss-cross. Same thing as the normal, you're just swinging the rope the opposite way.

When you get into more advanced tricks, it's important not to forget the basics. Remember... you don't need to jump higher, and it all comes from the wrists.

A fairly simple high level trick, would be a double under. The concept is easy: One jump, but the rope goes under the feet twice. Again, it's from the wrists. Don't make the mistake of thinking that it's all in jumping higher... jumping higher may help, especially at first, but the key is swinging faster and stronger from the wrists. Once you get this, you can try for more multiple-unders, like triples or quadruple unders, which of course is the same concept, with a bit of added difficulty.

So just a few little tips and a bit of advice.
If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
I hope someone found this at least slightly useful. I'm new at the whole &T "quality" posting thing.

Added to CMS by Trx100

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    See that wasn't too hard.

I promised that if you made the effort to contribute, I would make the effort to look at you in a better light, so I am willing to do some discussion.

In elementary school, everybody loved jumping rope, both boys and girls. Basic rope jumping with basic tricks and rhymes here and there. Do you do jump-rope rhymes or just jump for jumping's fun?
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    See that wasn't too hard.

I promised that if you made the effort to contribute, I would make the effort to look at you in a better light, so I am willing to do some discussion.

In elementary school, everybody loved jumping rope, both boys and girls. Basic rope jumping with basic tricks and rhymes here and there. Do you do jump-rope rhymes or just jump for jumping's fun?

Kinda too late, because apparently everyone is putting me on their ignore list now? So much for giving me a chance. I just wasted fifteen minutes trying to write this just out of nowhere, because I was originally waiting until Monday, and now you're probably gonna be the only one to read it anyway.

Oh well. Thanks, for reading it I guess. <3

And I jumped competitively for several years, and coached a competitive team for while. But then there was drama, and crap, and it's not so easy to find another competitive jump rope team, so I just jump rope for fun now. I miss being on a team, but oh well. That era in my life has ended. But I still think it's a great thing, and it can easily be taken so much farther than just the typical jumping rope to rhymes on the playground as kids. It's excellent condition for other sports, great cardio, and it's a great way to impress people if you can learn a few good tricks.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    I took you off of my ignore list to read this thread and i am pleased that you are finally making a change for the better :thumbsup: keep making threads like these and people will start to respect you as a poster and start hating you less.

Then can you at least cut me a little fucking slack? I'm seriously making an effort, so will someone at least give me a CHANCE?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    Then can you at least cut me a little fucking slack? I'm seriously making an effort, so will someone at least give me a CHANCE?

Do you not understand how to take praise?

This thread is a good start, don't ruin it.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Do you not understand how to take praise?

This thread is a good start, don't ruin it.

Nope. Don't get it often. I'm new. Please be patient with me. >.<
    Sorry.

Just like really want to turn a new leaf, but I have no control, and with all those threads purposely antagonizing me, I don't know why it would matter anyway.

I mean, I've shown I'm willing to try, so is a little slack too much to ask for at this point?
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited September 2010
    No matter how hard i try, i completely fail at jump roping. It's fun for the first few jumps then i start to suck and get frustrated and stop.

Really good way to exercise and get your heart rate up.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    No matter how hard i try, i completely fail at jump roping. It's fun for the first few jumps then i start to suck and get frustrated and stop.

Really good way to exercise and get your heart rate up.

It doesn't take trying hard... likely, you're trying TOO hard. I've seen it with a lot of beginners. It's seriously pretty simple. Small jumps at a steady pace, just use your wrists to swing, feet together, and don't overthink it.

Yes, indeed it is.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Ill stop fucking with you now. Good guide:thumbsup:
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Ill stop fucking with you now. Good guide:thumbsup:

Thank you! ^-^
    edited September 2010
    Thank you! ^-^

No problem. In that last thread you just made yourself to easy a target. On topic though I never could jump rope for shit back when I had to in Gym. It's great for cardio though.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    On topic though I never could jump rope for shit back when I had to in Gym. It's great for cardio though.

Haha, my freshman year in high school, I remember not only did I do well, but I basically ended up teaching our whole class how to jump rope. My teacher was even amazed. I was his star pupil. XD I guess going to a k through 8 elementary/middle school with three levels of jump rope teams, and a HUGE emphasis on it, as it was one of our few sports teams, I sort of learned really young. I never remember it being so hard, but I guess it's because of my background with it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    I always knew you had the potential, you just needed some time. Great guide and I loved it. I kinda fail at jumping ropes but thanks to this guide, I might give it a go.

Reddit'ed it:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/howto/comments/d9wef/guide_jump_rope_tips_and_tricks_to_get_your_feet/
    Vote it up!

Again. great job Namaste. :)
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    I always knew you had the potential, you just needed some time. Great guide and I loved it. I kinda fail at jumping ropes but thanks to this guide, I might give it a go.

Reddit'ed it:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/howto/comments/d9wef/guide_jump_rope_tips_and_tricks_to_get_your_feet/
    Vote it up!

Again. great job Namaste. :)

Glad you liked it. =) If you give it a try, tell me how it goes.
    edited September 2010
    Haha, my freshman year in high school, I remember not only did I do well, but I basically ended up teaching our whole class how to jump rope. My teacher was even amazed. I was his star pupil. XD I guess going to a k through 8 elementary/middle school with three levels of jump rope teams, and a HUGE emphasis on it, as it was one of our few sports teams, I sort of learned really young. I never remember it being so hard, but I guess it's because of my background with it.

I just always lacked the proper coordination for it. I might give it another try though because I smoke to much and my Cardio is complete shit and I hate running. In all other ways im fit and this could help with that.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    I just always lacked the proper coordination for it. I might give it another try though because I smoke to much and my Cardio is complete shit and I hate running. In all other ways im fit and this could help with that.

Haha, I like have no coordination when it comes to anything else. XD So if I can do it, you can, too, I'm sure.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited September 2010
    Haha, I like have no coordination when it comes to anything else. XD So if I can do it, you can, too, I'm sure.

Same here. It's like you say: jumping rope is just really easy, they overthink it. Don't think, jump. I used to be quite good, but I had to quit because of a knee injury and I never started again. I miss it, though. Think I'm gonna start doing it again, but not in a club anymore (impossible at the moment).
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    Add some pics of people doing the different moves. It would make it a better guide.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Add some pics of people doing the different moves. It would make it a better guide.

Well, it's hard to tell what any of the tricks are from pictures, so it'd be pointless. I have tons, but unless you know a lot about jump rope, you can't tell what trick they're in the middle of executing anyway.
    edited September 2010
    You're describing the techniques, right? Put pics of people doing whatever the trick is.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    You're describing the techniques, right? Put pics of people doing whatever the trick is.

Yes, but pictures, you really cannot tell anything helpful from. Trust me. It's easier to explain with words than pictures, and I know from experience. Like you seriously cannot tell anything useful from a picture of someone jumping rope.

15i20rq.jpg

For example... can you tell anything useful from this picture?
    Doubtful. I don't even remember fully what I was doing, but I think I was about to go into a donkey kick, perhaps. But still.

Videos maybe would help, but that's a lot of trouble. But pictures are useless for teaching proper technique, or tricks or anything like that.
    edited September 2010
    The point of the picture is to give us shit to look at. It makes the thread look better. :facepalm:

Examples:
    http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4748
    http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4645
    http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4745
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    The point of the picture is to give us shit to look at. It makes the thread look better. :facepalm:

Examples:
    http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4748
    http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4645
    http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4745

Well, you could have said that. From your first post I assumed you were implying it would be helpful, not make it LOOK better, as the point of a guide is not to look good, but be helpful. So I assumed you thought it'd make it more helpful since you said "make it a better guide". So next time at least say what you mean. i can't read your mind. -_-

I'll keep that in mind for next time.
    edited September 2010
    You already put a pic in the thread. Just put pics up. Dfg said we need to put pics in our guide threads or they don't get as much traffic on the social networking sites. Pictures are always good in guides, even if they don't illustrate anything.

Furthermore, I said better. Next time listen when someone offers advice and just fucking do it instead of arguing. This is why people get mad at you. I gave you good advice and instead of just doing it to improve your thread you got defensive and argued with me.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    You already put a pic in the thread. Just put pics up. Dfg said we need to put pics in our guide threads or they don't get as much traffic on the social networking sites. Pictures are always good in guides, even if they don't illustrate anything.

Furthermore, I said better. Next time listen when someone offers advice and just fucking do it instead of arguing. This is why people get mad at you. I gave you good advice and instead of just doing it to improve your thread you got defensive and argued with me.

Well, It doesn't make the guide better though. Makes it pretty. Doesn't change the quality of the guide itself at all. So you sort of weren't clear about it.

And I didn't argue. I misunderstood for a sec there, I'm tired and I'm human. Can you not stop being an asshole for two and a half seconds, and just like NOT try to pick out every flaw in everything I ever do? I didn't get defensive, argument implies emotions like anger or whatever. I seriously just didn't understand. I wasn't mad, wasn't upset, nothing. I just didn't understand.

But I'm seriously trying so if you're in here just to stalk me and be negative like you do, gtfo.
    I don't see what you issue is, but build a bridge and get over it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Well, It doesn't make the guide better though. Makes it pretty. Doesn't change the quality of the guide itself at all. So you sort of weren't clear about it.

And I didn't argue. I misunderstood for a sec there, I'm tired and I'm human. Can you not stop being an asshole for two and a half seconds, and just like NOT try to pick out every flaw in everything I ever do? I didn't get defensive, argument implies emotions like anger or whatever. I seriously just didn't understand. I wasn't mad, wasn't upset, nothing. I just didn't understand.

But I'm seriously trying so if you're in here just to stalk me and be negative like you do, gtfo.
    I don't see what you issue is, but build a bridge and get over it.

*hugs*

There there. Take a chill pill.

Just add an image of a girl jumping ropes in the start of the guide. Make sure to center it.

Like this:
    15i20rq.jpg

This will make your guide more attractive. :)
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    *hugs*

There there. Take a chill pill.

Just add an image of a girl jumping ropes in the start of the guide. Make sure to center it.

Like this:
    15i20rq.jpg

This will make your guide more attractive. :)

Not sure how much chill pills will help. I'm as irritable as hell lately... coming off some medication, having some slight withdrawal symptoms. But I'll try.

Why a girl? All the best pics I have are of guys jumping rope... =/
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Not sure how much chill pills will help. I'm as irritable as hell lately... coming off some medication, having some slight withdrawal symptoms. But I'll try.

Why a girl? All the best pics I have are of guys jumping rope... =/

Any image would do :).
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Any image would do :).

How is it now?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    How is it now?

Great :thumbsup:
    edited September 2010
    It's much better now. Pictures make guides more interesting. People see the image and think wow that's neat I'm going to read this wall o text now. Without a picture all you get is the wall of text. Pretty = better.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    This made me remember this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-CG9Vfjp0

Haha, like my start on youtube that day, just fooling around with some old digital camera. You know, I really can't imagine how my life would be now if I'd never been into jump rope. It effected me so much...