Seriously? Come on. >.<

NamasteNamaste Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I spent all morning working on a guide, a rather spiffy one if I do say so myself, but then I'm informed it's TOO LONG. =/ What?

It's on a bit of a complex subject, there is a lot to say, but I did try to keep it as "short" as I could on that subject. And it's divided into sections so even though it's long, it would be easy to navigate, you wouldn't have to read the whole thing. I mean, I literally spent hours on it.

I'm a little bit over 6000 characters over the limit. And I don't know what I could possibly take out of it at this point. I shaved off the bits I could without taking away from the meat of the guide, but I don't think it can be a very decent guide if I remove anymore of it.

What should I do?
Is it against the rules to spilt it in half, and put the first part in the original post, and the second half in a reply to that thread?
Or am I just screwed?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Put it into separate posts.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Put it into separate posts.

That's what I was thinking, but I wanna make sure that's allowed, maybe have a mod confirm it or something. Because if it is allowed... why do we even have a character limit? :confused:
    edited September 2010
    Spam control. There's a time limit between two posts.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Spam control. There's a time limit between two posts.

Oh. Duh. :facepalm: I'm sort of really overlooking the obvious today. >.<

But still... it'd be nice to ask a mod first just in case... but there aren't any online right now, are there?
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking, but I wanna make sure that's allowed, maybe have a mod confirm it or something. Because if it is allowed... why do we even have a character limit? :confused:
    It is completely acceptable to split the OP into more than one post. Dfg would probably do it anyway.

We have a character limit to deter spamming. Can you imagine if a bot got in and started posting threads with OVER 9000 characters in multipul posts? It would cripple us.
    edited September 2010
    No need to ask a mod. I've done it myself. If you're genuinely trying to contribute, they're not going to infract you even if it's not right.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Can you imagine if a bot got in and started posting threads with OVER 9000 characters in multipul posts? It would cripple us.

Haha, well, they could, technically, because the character limit is 15,000 characters, so over 9,000 would be doable for them, because after 9,000, they have a good 6,000 more they could do.

But yeah, I can't believe I didn't realize that before I said anything. I feel dumb now.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    No need to ask a mod. I've done it myself. If you're genuinely trying to contribute, they're not going to infract you even if it's not right.

Okay, then. Well, thanks for your help. I guess I'll just go ahead and do that then. :D
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Theres no rule against it. Go ahead and split it in two.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Ta da!

http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4789

I think it looks pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself, but then, I guess I'm probably a terrible judge of my own work. Oh well.
    edited September 2010
    Haha, well, they could, technically, because the character limit is 15,000 characters, so over 9,000 would be doable for them, because after 9,000, they have a good 6,000 more they could do.

But yeah, I can't believe I didn't realize that before I said anything. I feel dumb now.
    :facepalm:

This is why nobody is keen on liking you. Granted, you've generated a few people that tollerate you, but it's shit like this that makes me continue to hate you. Was it really necessary to disect my post like that? OVER 9000. Google it.

Actually, since you probably won't, here:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/its-over-9000
  • edited September 2010
    Ta da!

http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=4789

I think it looks pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself, but then, I guess I'm probably a terrible judge of my own work. Oh well.

You weren't lying when you said it was long! Great job though, looks goood.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    :facepalm:

This is why nobody is keen on liking you. Granted, you've generated a few people that tollerate you, but it's shit like this that makes me continue to hate you. Was it really necessary to disect my post like that? OVER 9000. Google it.

Actually, since you probably won't, here:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/its-over-9000

I know that. -_- Hence the "haha" to imply I realized you were joking. Seriously...

But it like... it's sort of not that funny when used in that context, because it's still doable.
    trx100 wrote: »
    You weren't lying when you said it was long! Great job though, looks goood.

Yeah. >.< I don't know. I felt I needed to include most of the information I did, so it ended up being longer than expected. But I'm really quite proud of it. It looks okay, I feel like I covered the basics well enough... so yeah, I feel good about it. :D
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    Good work. This is how you get people to like you.
    edited September 2010
    I know that. -_- Hence the "haha" to imply I realized you were joking. Seriously...

But it like... it's sort of not that funny when used in that context, because it's still doable.

Yeah. >.< I don't know. I felt I needed to include most of the information I did, so it ended up being longer than expected. But I'm really quite proud of it. It looks okay, I feel like I covered the basics well enough... so yeah, I feel good about it. :D
    Uh, no. It's just as funny, because I could crash my car and post that it's costing "OVER $9000" to fix it, and it's going to be a great ice breaker, because it's funny. I could still end up paying as much as $10000000000000000000000000 fixing said car, but that is beside the point that MEMES = FUNNY. Because of parkinsons.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    All this debate over a meme:facepalm: Namaste dont look so deep into it and you'll be fine.
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited September 2010
    It is completely acceptable to split the OP into more than one post. Dfg would probably do it anyway.

Fucking this.

lol hmm, maybe...