House Plants

edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Does anyone else take care of plants? I've got a few myself, and they're actually really great to have around the place. They look cool, they keep the air fresh, and you develop a sense of well-being and happiness when you keep them alive for a while. It becomes more like a pet than a plant :D

I've got a Spider Plant, which you can see in this picture...

p1020944lol.jpg

And another plant over there >>>

Comments

• CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a crummy little fern type plant in the corner. It has actually sprouted a large amount of mushrooms, which is somewhat confusing as I don't see when it had the oppertunity to get inoculated. Unfortunatly they don't appear to be psychoactive, but it is still a kind of cool touch.
  • edited September 2010
    Spider plants reproduce really quickly, and you can see the new plants growing on stems coming from the main plant. You can pick these off, put them in water until they grow roots, and plant them in soil. I've done this with 3 plant babies, so I'll soon have 3 more big spider plants :D
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited September 2010
    I smoke so many cigarettes they would probably die in a matter of days.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    Two venus fly traps
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    I smoke so many cigarettes they would probably die in a matter of days.

Wouldn't they be healthier since they don't breath oxygen?
  • edited September 2010
    I'm not sure that cigs have an effect on plants. Maybe you should get one and find out :D
    edited September 2010
    Wouldn't they be healthier since they don't breath oxygen?

I'm sure the nicotine and tar isn't good for ANY living thing.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited September 2010
    whats in that bowl?

plants are great to have around, i used to have some kind of little cactus. it would bloom at christmas. twas a gift from one of my foster moms.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited September 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    I'm sure the nicotine and tar isn't good for ANY living thing.

Nicotine, a toxic chemical most often associated with cigarettes, has been used as an insecticide since colonial times.

Smoke in your room, keep your plants insect free.
  • edited September 2010
    ScuD wrote: »
    whats in that bowl?

plants are great to have around, i used to have some kind of little cactus. it would bloom at christmas. twas a gift from one of my foster moms.

The bowl contained some cereal which I had been eating for breakfast. Nothing plant related really :D
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited September 2010
    I have some cacti small ones but they keep on living even though I hardly water them so I'm happy..
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, cacti are great for that. You should probably water it once in a while though, just in case :D
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited September 2010
    Indeed I do water them when I can be bothered but they seem fairly happy at the moment though now I mention it I think I will water them tonight..
  • edited September 2010
    I really have no idea how often you're meant to water Cacti, but I do know that they don't need much water at all to survive :D

I usually water my spider plant once every weekend. Seems to work well.
    edited September 2010
    My dumbass ex girlfriend killed a cactus by over watering it.

Also, when I was like 4-6 I stabbed a 5 foot cactus in my parents house, repeatedly with a steak knife. No clue why. Then lied and said I had no idea what had happened to it.... Guess who didn't buy that excuse.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a spider plant I bought in like 3rd grade. Still growing, and it split in half. I put one half in a bowl of water and it's growing better than the one I let in the dirt.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »
    Nicotine, a toxic chemical most often associated with cigarettes, has been used as an insecticide since colonial times.

not sure about the toxicity mechanism for nicotine, but isnt it a nerve toxin and therefore not going to harm plants?:confused:
  • edited September 2010
    I kind of hate plants because i don't like things that need taking care of that won't benefit me in any way but i used to grow pot plants in my closet a few years ago.

That's the thing - you don't see them having any benefits but they actually freshen the air, make the place look cooler (I've always thought green stuff looked cool anyway), and it's been proven that it could make you happier if you take care of them properly.
  • edited September 2010
    Got no plants in the house but I have tons of cacti and other succulants outside that I keep and cultivate. I care more for my plants than I care for most people.

Cacti are pretty kewl guys, pricking people and doesn't afraid of anything.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    not sure about the toxicity mechanism for nicotine, but isnt it a nerve toxin and therefore not going to harm plants?:confused:

Yep, nerve toxin. Plants are fine.
  • edited September 2010
    Then acid_drop has no choice! He must buy a plant!