Rts

TLVTLV Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Post good games that arent ones that everyone and their dog has heard of like Starcraft.

I'll start

Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. Steampunk based RTS with 3 different races. Think Starcraft meets Age of Empires in a steampunk setting.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Homeworld. Set in space, and is probably one of the harder games I've played. Couldn't finish the last level without cheats :o
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I used to play a game called Empire earth all the time. Avoid the second one it sucks. For those that havent played it's basically AOE but you start in prehistoric days and can advance to futuristic times.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited September 2010
    HOMEWORLD 2. simply amazing, better than the first IMO. the graphics still look great.

World in Conflict. another great strategy game that employs teamwork and focuses more so on real time combat decisions than any kind of resource management. this game is ace for the single player alone. but the online community is very strong and heavily supported by sierra to this day, they run map contest's every 3 months and the clan battles are pretty fun. one of my favs for sure.

Darwinia- this indie game is just really fun, one part tron one part commandos. its got a great artistic aesthetic as well.

Flotilla- another interesting and simple but really fun RTS, its kinda turn based, kinda real time.really fun spaceship battles. Google it.

final fantasy tactics for the PSP or the DS. or you can emulate the PS1 version. love this shit.

star wars empire at war. some of the battles i have had competing against friends were epic. and i mean truly epic. the land combat is a little lame at times. but the space battles, fucking king.

Sins of a solar empire. this game is really in depth, the online community is pretty friendly as far as teaching a noob goes. this game is hours of fun for my nerd bone.
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah Homeworld 2 is an absolute classic that everyone should play, if they like strategy games anyway.
    Empire earth.

Yeah it was pretty good, bit rough around the edges but it was kind of like Civilization in RTS form (in that you could go from primitive to futuristic, like you said) which was cool.

Men of War is pretty good online, a lot better than Company of Heroes anyway if you're looking for a WW2 RTS.

Can't think of any more "traditional" RTSs that are less well known and haven't been mentioned. I really like Paradox games, Europa Universalis 2, Hearts of Iron 2, Crusader Kings - probably my favourite strategy games but too hard for most people to get into. Commandos 2&3 I guess you could say were RTS. Patrician 3 I liked, again kind of an RTS.

Can't think of any more right now. I'll be surprised if anyone can name a strategy game I haven't played though ;).
    edited September 2010
    Vermicide wrote: »
    Yeah Homeworld 2 is an absolute classic that everyone should play, if they like strategy games anyway.

Yeah it was pretty good, bit rough around the edges but it was kind of like Civilization in RTS form (in that you could go from primitive to futuristic, like you said) which was cool.

Men of War is pretty good online, a lot better than Company of Heroes anyway if you're looking for a WW2 RTS.

Can't think of any more "traditional" RTSs that are less well known and haven't been mentioned. I really like Paradox games, Europa Universalis 2, Hearts of Iron 2, Crusader Kings - probably my favourite strategy games but too hard for most people to get into. Commandos 2&3 I guess you could say were RTS. Patrician 3 I liked, again kind of an RTS.

Can't think of any more right now. I'll be surprised if anyone can name a strategy game I haven't played though ;).

With me Empire earth was all about the scenario editor. I'd make the most epic fucking battles with army's of different time periods. I gotta download it again sometime.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010

ok, so its not the best game out there, but not many people have heard of it. i think the devs were just trying to troll everyone when the units respond with the line "my name is Ivan, and I like you" :confused:
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited September 2010
    i actually like that game. i loled.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited September 2010
    The Total War series, states Rolf. Rolf also suggests Sins of a Solar Empire.
    edited September 2010
    Rolf wrote: »
    The Total War series, states Rolf. Rolf also suggests Sins of a Solar Empire.

Rome total war was the best one imo. Your right though those games are fuckin awesome.