How to Clean Your Keyboard [Guide]

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
Well, sometimes your keyboard is a bit too dirty to be usable, luckily for us this website has some tips to offer when trying to clean your keyboard.

http://www.inc.com/ss/how-clean-your-keyboard?slide=0#9
Use an air compressor
Use isopropyl alcohol
Use a USB vacuum cleaner
Use CyberClean
Remove all of the keys
Clorox Wipes or household disinfectants
Use the dishwasher
Use Post-it Notes
Use a hairdryer
Use Scotch Tape

Get rid of the mysterious sticky stuff under your keyboard with compressed air equipped with an extension nozzle. Turn the can at a 45-degree angle and spray between the keys. Tap and shake the keyboard and then repeat spraying. Finish by cleaning the piled up grime with a damp cloth.
I actually have an air blower so it's not a big issue for me but for some one who doesn't have that luxury you can check out the site and find yourself a nice cleaning solution.

Comments

• VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    To be honest, if you're keyboard is so dirty you can't really use it, it's probably time to get a new one :).
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Vermicide wrote: »
    To be honest, if you're keyboard is so dirty you can't really use it, it's probably time to get a new one :).

I just dip it in water and add some acid. It's good as new after couple of minutes. :D
  • edited July 2010
    Also, for keyboard cleaning on the fly there's always BlockInput!
  • Gorilla GutsGorilla Guts Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    i spilled something on my keyboard and all the keys r fine except for the "a" key. it sucks. ive been just copying an a and pasting it. ne tips?
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    What happens? Does it not move or does it move and not register? Test every other key?

If it's a common keyboard it's probably easier to replace it.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    i spilled something on my keyboard and all the keys r fine except for the "a" key. it sucks. ive been just copying an a and pasting it. ne tips?

strt tlking like this.
    edited July 2010
    it just doesnt register. i hve toshib lptop. i thought bout pouring some lcohol on it but i dont wnt to fuck it up even more. i took the button of nd clened round it but it didnt work? fucking sucks mn. it mkes me not wnt to post cuse its such hssle. sometimes i try to think of how to type with out using n a
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Try taking off the keycap again. Make sure the scissor switch is in place and moves smoothly, doesn't stick or anything. Check the rubber dome underneath - clean, not stuck in a position. Remove the rubber dome and use something to press the key beneath, see if it registers then. I don't know what pouring alcohol through it would do, probably not good for the other components. I don't know much about laptop keyboards; you'll probably need to have a tech check it.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    I just use a vacuum with soft brush attachment and then baby wipes afterwards. Always works.
  • DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited July 2010
    Wouldn't keyboard dusters work out fine? Clean your keyboard then get high.
  • edited July 2010
    Greenbull wrote: »
    I just use a vacuum with soft brush attachment and then baby wipes afterwards. Always works.

Holy crap, baby wipes - why didn't I think of that! Sounds like it would work well. I usually just hoover it out and leave it like that.
    edited July 2010
    well i tried the tips to no avail. is it easy to get a keyboard replaced?
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's easy to go and get someone to do it but might be expensive. It's not a terribly complicated thing though and maybe if you're good with hardware you could even get parts and do it yourself.
  • theinvadertheinvader Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Very easy to replace a laptop keyboard, imo. I have a Dell B130 and I simply looked up the keyboard part number (TD459). Turns out they use this keyboard for all their 15.4" inch screens in 2006/07. $14.80 something (TD459 Generic from amazon) and got it four days later.
    Simple as unscrewing two screws under a plate and screwing the new one in.
    edited July 2010
    sweet dude ill check it out. thanks for all the help!:D