Help identifying two Brit films

Sandy RavageSandy Ravage Acolyte
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
For the longest time I've been trying to find these 2 Brit films I saw years ago. I will try to describe the best I can remember.

1) A kid, about 10-12, lived alone with his mother near the sea. The kid was obsessed with freighters and ships the like, wanted to be a sea captain when he grew up. His mother meets a sea captain and begins a romance with him. I don't remember why but the kid gets mad and tries to sabotage the relationship, maybe even kill the captain, I can't recall. Another scene that may trigger a memory is one of the boy peeping through a hole in the wall watching his mother undress.
Seemed to be a 60s or 70s movie, or just made to look that way. Hard to tell with the quaint English setting.

2) I believe it was a thriller/horror type of flick. A family was vacationing in a rental cottage on some water. Two younger guys, 20s, were trying to kill them. The main bad guy had dark hair and always wore long sleeves. The long sleeves had something to do with the story, he told everyone he had eczema though.
Seemed to be made in the 90s.

I know they're very vague but if anyone can help I greatly appreciate it. Been driving me mad. They might even be indie films, i've no recollection.

Cheers

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    I liked the undressing part :p. But I can't recall those movies. Still I will look for them :).
  • edited September 2010
    I had a look on google but couldn't find anything at all :( The only thing I can think of is Cabin Fever for the second one, but that's American and is pretty much nothing like you described :D

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
  • Sandy RavageSandy Ravage Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    They were probably low budget, highly unknown indie films. However, the search... continues!
  • kaloosakaloosa Regular
    edited September 2010
    2. Sounds like "Funny Games" to me. The original came out in 1997 and was Austrian. A shot-for-shot remake was done in English (USA) in 2008, starring Tim Roth, who I believe is British or something like it.
  • Sandy RavageSandy Ravage Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    kaloosa wrote: »
    2. Sounds like "Funny Games" to me. The original came out in 1997 and was Austrian. A shot-for-shot remake was done in English (USA) in 2008, starring Tim Roth, who I believe is British or something like it.

From the trailer I saw on youtube for the 1997 version... I think we have a winner! I'll delve in further to verify but I'm fairly certain that's one down! Thank you, sir!