Electronic weapons

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited October 2010 in Life
Discuss. I will answer any questions you have.

Comments

• KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    So no one gives a damn?
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited September 2010
    how does an EMP work?
    edited September 2010
    What kind? Small ones, or the ones like in call of duty?
    edited September 2010
    Effects? What effects are you talking about?
    edited September 2010
    I'll answer both of your q's
    EMP wrote:
    There are two types of EMP. The first kind is when a large capacitor is discharged through a coil of wire. An electric charge is induced into metal objects, and any electronic device in/near the coil is

pretty
    much
    fucked.

Now, the other kind we're all REALLY afraid of. If a nuclear weapon is detonated in the ionosphere, crazy shit happens. I'm not sure what the mechanism is, but it induces a 1000V/m charge on the ground. This means that electronic devices are immediately destroyed via overvoltage. Millions of volts are induced in the electrical grid, and the grid is pretty much fucked and will have to be re-built. New cars (everything made after the 70's) will cease to function because all the high-tech electronics are fucked. All mechanical ones will continue to work though.

*Gas pumps and infrostuctere are fucked
    *Food infrastructure is fucked
    *People with pacemakers are fucked
    *Medical things and hospitals are fucked. Anyone with a medication requiring disease is fucked.
    *Water cleaning is fucked
    *Phones are fucked
    *Everything's fucked
    *Totse's fucked

It would take decades to recover, and 10's of millions would die. The EMP would not just affect a small area for 3 minutes like in COD, but would kill all electronics in a huge country or many countries forever, unless they are covered in tinfoil.
    HERF guns wrote:
    These are magnetrons operated outside the microwave oven. Magnetrons produce microwaves in a 180* cone around the nipple. To concentrate the microwaves into a beam, you can either use a waveguide or a satellite dish.

Waveguides
    Waveguides are just sheet metal cut and spot welded into a horn, and a common angle is 30*. The magnetron must be properly coupled to the waveguide. This means it goes at a 90* angle like this.

XT3jk.png

Here is a HERF gun with a waveguide.

As you can see it fucks up electronics from a distance.

The other option is a satellite dish.
    Satellite dishes are meant to take parallel microwaves, and converge them to a point on the receiver. Now to make a DECENT herf gun from one, you need to...

Figure out what angle the microwaves are converging at. You already know where the focus is, because that's where the receiver is. Now you just need to measure the angle away from parallel.

Build a small waveguide at that angle and attach it to the magnetron.

Attach the magnetron where the receiver used to go with the waveguide pointing at the dish.

Now you'll have a HERF gun with a near // beam if you do this right. You should be able to fuck electronics quite some distance away. Although it will be REALLY hard to get everything right, and I don't think anyone has even attempted it this way.

IMPORTANT WARNINGS
    Cooking magnetrons emit a ridiculous amount of microwaves. (enough to cook lol). This means that THEY CAN COOK YOU. If you ever stand in the beam of a HERF gun, not only will your skin feel warm but your organs will be cooking, as microwaves cook from the inside out. Needless to say that's bad.

Also, you must cool the magnetron with forced air, lest it burn out.

Microwaves can reflect too. To shield yourself, use tinfoil (no joke).
    edited September 2010
    WTF is it with people not replying?
    edited September 2010
    Oohh... That's pretty fucking sweet.

Wait a minute and I'll draw you a pic in mspaint.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    Gary Oak wrote: »

Static Shock MUCH?

Boondocks are a bunch of biters! :angry::angry:
    edited September 2010
    Here's the basic idea. It's pretty ghetto ATM and I'm sure you can improve it.
    HzNu0.png
    edited September 2010
    Why doesn't anyone reply to this thread?
  • edited September 2010
    Can you really make a tazer out of a disposable camera, and how? Or was that a myth I heard from the schoolyard?
    edited September 2010
    That's pretty much what the power glove is. It's not a TAZER, it's a stun gun. TAZERs have circuitry that makes a relatively low voltage shock that is designed to interfere with nerves, while stun guns use brute force.

Also, there are no stun guns that exceed 50,000V. These "2million volt stunguns" are obviously a lie. A 2MV spark would cover a distance of 1.5 feet, not 3 cm.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2010
    Will i fuck people up with that glove?
    edited September 2010
    It will hurt like fuck, that's certain.

If you really wanted to fuck someone up...
    (of course that could kill someone, so I don't recommend it)

This, and this to charge it.
    edited September 2010
    How portable will this be?
    edited September 2010
    What, the regular or super one?
    edited September 2010
    the super one.
    edited September 2010
    Assuming you use a LiPo battery, very portable. Should fit in a large radio shack project box.

It won't be cheap though, the super one will cost about $100 in parts (if you manage to get a cheap 11.1v lipo)

Of course you could use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries instead to cut about $30, but it will be slightly heavier.
    edited September 2010
    Sounds interesting, maybe the character in my book will do it someday.
    edited September 2010
    The normal one will cost about $10 to make though. (Assuming you have a spare neoprene glove and a soldering iron)

If you manage to get more than one disposable camera (very likely) you can parallel the caps for more power. Charging time will take longer, but a charge will last longer. The normal one can be built in a small project box. (deck of cards size).
    edited September 2010
    Could I kill a cat with the small one?
    edited September 2010
    IDK. And fuck you for trolling.
    edited September 2010
    It was serious at first' but you just kept on going.:D:D:D
    edited October 2010
    It would screw up the electronics, but it's too far to cause any "real" damage.
  • edited October 2010
    This relates a bit to a long term project of mine I call, "the kickass leather" which among other features would include a two prong tazer (going to go with the high voltage low amp option). This would be accessed by pulling my hand a bit back into the sleeve and slipping two form fit plastic fingertips onto my fingers, extending the hand again would make it live (or do you think I should use another form of trigger?).

The fingertips would have sharp copper points on them able to penetrate clothes, hopefully the dude is wearing typical skidbag clothes and not a leather otherwise it's the pepper spray hidden in the other sleeve.

Other features include, kevlar/titanium laminate kidney plates, thought about one for the heart, but the jacket would have to be done up all the time. A personalized first aid kit. And a panic button somehow keyed to my phone(not sure how to rig this, especially getting some kind of location transmitted, advice?)

The coat is a Danier leather and very big, I can carry tons of shit into concerts with it, and it already has two steel rods sewn into each forearm, several secret pouches including ones meant to be found, and a hanger for my homemade billy(i only carry this on special occasions)

Any advice on the tazer, or any other forms of electric defensive weaponry would be much appreciated..
    Cheers
    C/O
    "your best defense is to be really, really, offensive, it weeds out the deadwood"
    edited October 2010
    Well I'm not sure what would happen. Nobody's been stupid enough to walk in front of these.

@CU

The panic button would be a moderately large project, consisting of microcontrollers, gps module, and a gsm module. I like the glove idea though.
    edited October 2010
    Well assuming you get about 70% of the microwaves to go where they're supposed to, you'll have a 700W 30 degree cone. I don't feel like doing math, but you can use inverse square law to see what's up.
    edited October 2010
    About 10% gets absorbed by the cone, 20% gets scattered. Remember that some microwaves will also reflect off the walls. They are light after all.

So long as you're not directly in front of the cone I don't think it will pose much of a hazard. Just don't leave it on for hours on end. Not only will that be bad for your health, it'll be bad for your electric bill. ALSO MAKE SURE TO COOL THE MAGNETRON. The fan that comes with it is fine.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's the basic idea. It's pretty ghetto ATM and I'm sure you can improve it.

That's about as ghetto as it gets...but fuck it, it'd work.

I kinda wanna hook it up to a car battery though...
    edited October 2010
    You'd just blow up the charging circuit. 1.5V max.
    edited October 2010
    You'd just blow up the charging circuit. 1.5V max.

Then I need to modify the charging circuit. ;)
    edited October 2010
    There's not much to modify. If you replace the transistor you won't get any more power; try and pull more than 6 watts from that small transformer and it'll burn.
    edited October 2010
    There's not much to modify. If you replace the transistor you won't get any more power; try and pull more than 6 watts from that small transformer and it'll burn.

What I'm getting at is I'd pretty much scale everything up to a more powerful level. In the meantime...
    :fap:
    edited October 2010
    You would need the exact same transformer, just bigger. I don't think you'll be able to find that. You could try designing your own circuit though, possibly an inductive charge pump.