Death Metal vs Black Metal

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Which do you think is better. While I listen to both I say Black Metal is the superior form of metal. The atmosphere and raw nature of it is great. And I'm talking about real black metal Burzum Absurd and early Mayhem shit like that. Not pussy ass cradle of filth or dimmu borgir.

Comments

• ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackened Death Metal.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Black Metal.

There is just something more intelligent about decent Black Metal as compared to decent Death Metal.

Case being Deathspell Omega, ColdWorld and Ossadogva as compared to any DM band. :cool:

Then again-- its all subjective.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2010
    Death metal. Preferably melodic death metal.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    To be serious I listen to the two genres for different things. For black metal I'm looking for atmosphere, for death metal I'm looking for technicality and musicianship. If I had to choose I'll pick Black Metal since I'm kvlt like that.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Black metal for sure. Anybody listen to Watain?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Black metal for sure. Anybody listen to Watain?

Sure do I ordered Casus Luciferi a few years ago. good album.
    edited July 2010
    From Watains new album, pretty badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrOfvhFiq6E
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well you can guess by my name what genre I listen to most of the time.

Black metal allows such a wide range of music to be contained in one genre. All one must do is mention Summoning to concrete this point.
    edited July 2010
    Any of you listen to Coldworld? Its like old Burzum but good.
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »

Never heard of them, I'll have to check them out.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    They're good. Old Burzum is better though. There isn't much in Black Metal that can top Filosofem.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited July 2010
    Death Metal
  • HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Death Metal, not only does it sound better, but the vocals (I am a metal vocalist) take much more talent. I believe Black Metal is only superior in drums. I do, however, enjoy Ambient Black Metal.

• Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Death metal all the way :mad: tied it up.
  • GrenGren Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Death metal for sure. Don't know of mucho black metal, only black stuff I really listen to is later Emperor I guess, and I love Akercocke too if that counts.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd say Black Metal is superior. It just sounds more appealing and less angsty to me. Plus it has a lot of history (The whole Norwegian scene etc), which I like in music.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Go ahead, explain how those two aren't the fucking same.
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
    Pig wrote: »

You have to be fucking shitting me. :facepalm:
    edited July 2010

How are death and black different?:facepalm: Um lets see the lyrical content the look the place of origin the guitar work is different but if you knew music youd know that. The drumming s different. There really apples and oranges music wise if you take the time to listen to them. Go listen to Burzum then listen to Nile and tell me there the same.
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited July 2010
    Depends on band, but I'd say death metal, solely because it has more variety.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    How are death and black different?:facepalm: Um lets see the lyrical content the look the place of origin the guitar work is different but if you knew music youd know that. The drumming s different. There really apples and oranges music wise if you take the time to listen to them. Go listen to Burzum then listen to Nile and tell me there the same.

I could take two death metal bands, Carcass and Gojira let's say, and they wouldn't sound the same. Of course they're not going to sound the same. They're different fucking bands. I'm saying that the genres are so convoluted and broad that you're trying to argue the difference between apples and apples.

Black Metal:
    • Violent lyrics, often anti-Satanic
    • Downtuned guitars with distortion
    • Tremolo picking
    • Double bass
    • Doesn't adhere to traditional song structure

Death Metal:
    • Lyric themes are often violent, and may extend to topics like Satanism
    • Tremolo picking
    • Double bass
    • Varied song structure

All of that is straight from Wiki, so if you're going to tell me that metal and metal aren't the same, then you're fucking mad. Trying to argue metal genres is a pissing contest, because faggots like you think there's some sort of fine line in the midst of the music. And then you get all pissy because you don't want to listen to a genre you don't like, where upon you have yet to realize that they sound identical.

And Nile is actually a technical death metal band, not a death metal band. There's an obvious difference between the two, fuckwad. They're like the two most different genres ever.
    edited July 2010
    I could take two death metal bands, Carcass and Gojira let's say, and they wouldn't sound the same. Of course they're not going to sound the same. They're different fucking bands. I'm saying that the genres are so convoluted and broad that you're trying to argue the difference between apples and apples.

Black Metal:
    • Violent lyrics, often anti-Satanic
    • Tremolo picking
    • Double bass
    • Doesn't adhere to traditional song structure

Death Metal:
    • Lyric themes are often violent, and may extend to topics like Satanism
    • Tremolo picking
    • Double bass
    • Varied song structure

All of that is straight from Wiki, so if you're going to tell me that metal and metal aren't the same, then you're fucking mad. Trying to argue metal genres is a pissing contest, because faggots like you think there's some sort of fine line in the midst of the music. And then you get all pissy because you don't want to listen to a genre you don't like, where upon you have yet to realize that they sound identical.

And Nile is actually a technical death metal band, not a death metal band. There's an obvious difference between the two, fuckwad. They're like the two most different genres ever.

Well if wiki says it then it must be true:rolleyes: Also when did I say I dont like death metal I do but I prefer black. Also I know different bands dont sound the same but different genres do. So according to you hair metal and Death metal are the same because metal dosnt have genres right?:facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w Black

There different.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well if wiki says it then it must be true:rolleyes: Also when did I say I dont like death metal I do but I prefer black. Also I know different bands dont sound the same but different genres do. So according to you hair metal and Death metal are the same because metal dosnt have genres right?:facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w Black

There different.

Except that we're arguing black metal and death metal, not the other genres. I could certainly agree that hair metal and doom metal are obviously different, but you seem to be forgetting what thread we're in.

And you also seem to have not read my post. You can post as many bands as you like, but that's not going to support your point. I could post two death metal bands and they'll sound different. I'm not saying every metal band sounds the exact fucking same, I'm saying that black metal and death metal share all the same characteristics. A point which you failed to retort.

Carcass

Gojira

Oh look, they're different, but they're both death metal. PARADOX.
    edited July 2010
    Except that we're arguing black metal and death metal, not the other genres. I could certainly agree that hair metal and doom metal are obviously different, but you seem to be forgetting what thread we're in.

And you also seem to have not read my post. You can post as many bands as you like, but that's not going to support your point. I could post two death metal bands and they'll sound different. I'm not saying every metal band sounds the exact fucking same, I'm saying that black metal and death metal share all the same characteristics. A point which you failed to retort.

Carcass

Gojira

Carcass isn't Death Metal, its Grind. :facepalm:
    edited July 2010

Carcass

Gojira

"Trying to argue metal genres is a pissing contest, because faggots like you think there's some sort of fine line in the midst of the music."

That would seems to imply there's no difference in genre fucktard. And like the poster before me said carcass isn't death there grind. But your the music expert I guess. Also why does nearly every metal fan seem to think black and death are different. All you can go on is a list on wiki to say "hey look they share basic similarities there the same lol lol". When I here a band I can easily tell if its black or death. Just because your too ignorant to here the difference dosnt mean they don't exist. The whole atmosphere and lyrical content is different. And yes despite your wiki list they SOUND like different genres.
    edited July 2010

Really? :facepalm:
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Carcass isn't Death Metal, its Grind. :facepalm:

Really, that was grind? Maybe you should have listened to which song it was.
    edited July 2010
    Really, that was grind? Maybe you should have listened to which song it was.

Either your a troll or retarded. You know nothing of the ways of metal.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Either your a troll or retarded. You know nothing of the ways of metal.

Yeahhh I'm pretty sure the entire Swansong album wasn't grind. Are you sure you listen to metal?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a pretty distinct difference between black and death. The techniques are similar but they dont sound the same.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Death Metal, not only does it sound better, but the vocals (I am a metal vocalist) take much more talent. I believe Black Metal is only superior in drums. I do, however, enjoy Ambient Black Metal.

:rolleyes: :facepalm:
    edited July 2010
    Yeahhh I'm pretty sure the entire Swansong album wasn't grind. Are you sure you listen to metal?

Yeah im pretty sure I do. Jackass.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah im pretty sure I do. Jackass.

So start acting like you do.
    edited July 2010
    So start acting like you do.

This coming from the guy who cant tell a difference between black and death metal.:facepalm:
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    This coming from the guy who cant tell a difference between black and death metal.:facepalm:

Says the fanboy that gets butthurt over the slightest genre conflict.
    edited July 2010
    Says the fanboy that gets butthurt over the slightest genre conflict.

There's no conflict except the one you're pulling out of your ass.
    edited July 2010
    I dont mind a genre conflict but saying there's no difference in black and death metal is just ignorant. You cant listen to both genres and truly here no difference. For example the vocals in death are more of the cookie monster low vocals where as black generally has a higher pitched scream sound to it. Death metal riffs are also more technical most of the time. And yes the themes are while both have "evil' themes black metal dosnt focus on death and murder stuff like that its usually more about satanism{as does death} or paganism and fantasy and darkness and shit. The overall aesthetics are much different also.
    edited July 2010
    I dont mind a genre conflict but saying there's no difference in black and death metal is just ignorant. You cant listen to both genres and truly here no difference. For example the vocals in death are more of the cookie monster low vocals where as black generally has a higher pitched scream sound to it. Death metal riffs are also more technical most of the time. And yes the themes are while both have "evil' themes black metal dosnt focus on death and murder stuff like that its usually more about satanism{as does death} or paganism and fantasy and darkness and shit. The overall aesthetics are much different also.

Theres also bands like Dissection that combine the 2.
    edited July 2010
    Theres also bands like Dissection that combine the 2.

Thats true. I was generalizing in that last post but pig saying theres no difference in the genres is just retarded ignorance.
    edited July 2010
    Thats true. I was generalizing in that last post but pig saying theres no difference in the genres is just retarded ignorance.

Yeah, I always thought the difference was pretty obvious.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010

Metalfags never change.
    edited July 2010
    ITT Pig makes an ass of himself by arguing about things he knows little about.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll come back when you can think of an actual retort.
    edited July 2010
    How about you dont come back faggot?
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    Regardless, thrash metal beats both.
    edited July 2010
    Regardless, thrash metal beats both.

Thrash beats both? Thanks for the laugh. :rolleyes:
  • PigPig Regular