Image results after steam punking your camera

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited October 2010 in Life
Putting a 100yo + lens on a modern camera with almost retro results.
This is a circa 1908 Wollensak 35mm F5.0 Cine-Velostigmat hand cranked cinema camera lens. its as cute as a button...literally...
It reminded me of a shrunken head on a full grown body...INB4 Beetle Juices
1908tinylens.jpg
I am a DP and photographer, 90% of the time i use my 5D for stills, professional and not. I have an upcoming photography project that needs a vintage look. Initially i was going to shoot it on 4x5 large format film, but found the equipment and processing cost prohibitive. My friend, a Russian lens technician, who loves nothing more than to frankenstein equipment, was assisting me in building the 4x5 camera. After we abandoned the 4x5 solution, i put the project on back burner. This morning he called me into his store on NYC. He has something for me.... He found in a box of random parts, hidden inside anther lens this gem. A circa 1908 ( possibly earlier) 35mm lens. Still functioning, mostly brass, and not nearly as much dust or fungus as one would think after sitting in a box for over a hundred years. This lens is a piece of film history people, and at this point rare beyond words. So i say to him, "Wow... what do you have in mind?" he smiles, and says, ( in the thickest russian accent you can imagine) " i can make this fit EF you know..." my eye twinkled, and then 6 nail biting hours later,he had it finished. My Russian Lens technician is a mad scientist and he took what sounded like an angle grinder to the lens to make its clear the flange distance and the mirror....... This lens' value is unclear. its sort of on loan. It's the only lens of its kind on a 5D... or any digital for that matter.

Its funny while i was shooting these, EVERY photographer i saw stopped and asked me about the lens... it just looks so goofy on there.
img9834adjusted1.jpg
img98491.jpg
img98501p.jpg
img98531.jpg
img98581.jpg
img98641.jpg
img98921.jpg
img99061y.jpg
img99081.jpg
img99091.jpg

The dudes site - http://www.timurcivan.com/

Comments

• KundaLiniKundaLini Regular
    edited October 2010
    Amazing.
  • edited October 2010
    Shots like these are why I am considering sucking it up and throwing down $800 on a DSLR. These photo`s have a "feel" to them that I hope I can find without resorting to a technique like the lens replacement. Although that is damn, damn, cool. Actually, this just inspired me to start a "Herzog" thread, and now I trudge off to figure out how to embed photos.
    C/O
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
    Shots like these are why I am considering sucking it up and throwing down $800 on a DSLR. These photo`s have a "feel" to them that I hope I can find without resorting to a technique like the lens replacement. Although that is damn, damn, cool. Actually, this just inspired me to start a "Herzog" thread, and now I trudge off to figure out how to embed photos.
    C/O
    [img][/img]<----Stick pic between these---->

Or click this > insertimage.gifin your tool bar above your post and add the image url

;)
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    Awesome pics. Im not to into photography but these "steam punked" images do have a certain feel and style to them that you can't deny.