would you rather

edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Get thrown out of a helicopter above the ocean with a 50 lb concrete block chained to your ankle, or starve to death?

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    Starve. Ive always had a fear of drowning but starving would suck too.
  • LMSLMS Regular
    edited October 2010
    Dumped in the ocean. It would be quicker and a lot less painful.
    edited October 2010
    LMS wrote: »
    Dumped in the ocean. It would be quicker and a lot less painful.

Yeah but you could always kill yourself before you starved in a non painful manner.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    I prefer instant death. Bring in the CHOPPA!
  • LMSLMS Regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah but you could always kill yourself before you starved in a non painful manner.

When I thought of the starving option, in my head, I imagine that one would have to be caged up, slowly wasting away, not having access to guns/poison/whatever.
    edited October 2010
    LMS wrote: »
    When I thought of the starving option, in my head, I imagine that one would have to be caged up, slowly wasting away, not having access to guns/poison/whatever.

Well in that case I'd have to choose the first option.
  • edited October 2010
    Dfg wrote: »

When we invade Pakistan I'm sure plenty of AH-64s would be more than happy to grant your wish
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Why did the Mudslime have bandages and stitches around his right wrist?
    Because he won his appeal
  • edited October 2010
    Dfg wrote: »

Everyone knows sand people don't know what a helicopter is :o:o:o:o:o:o

They probaby think its a giant grasshopper :o:o:facepalm::facepalm:
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I'll take the drowning any day. Fuck starving. I can hardly last without food for a few hours. Sounds selfish as hell I know, but it's true.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited October 2010
    Same here drowning is quicker and my stomach always hurts when I'm really hungry.. Couldn't live with that.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    duuude wrote: »
    Same here drowning is quicker and my stomach always hurts when I'm really hungry.. Couldn't live with that.

+1 I'd take the 30seconds of distress when drowning over the weeks(?) of agonizing starvation.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited October 2010
    Drowning is supposed to be quite euphoric. It is a struggle up until your first breath of water, but once you let go it is apparently quite blissful. Too bad you can only try it once.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    Drowning is supposed to be quite euphoric. It is a struggle up until your first breath of water, but once you let go it is apparently quite blissful. Too bad you can only try it once.

Source? :o
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Source? :o

No idea, I heard it a while ago on the old Totse. You'll just have to find out if its really like that for yourself. Remember to post here and tell us what it was like :)
    edited October 2010
    No idea, I heard it a while ago on the old Totse. You'll just have to find out if its really like that for yourself. Remember to tell us what it was like :)

I remember hearing this same thing in school. I never bought it though I just cant see how it would be euphoric. Inhaling water would hurt like hell wouldn't it plus the panic factor.
    edited October 2010
    I'm just trying to imagine someone coming back as a ghost :o

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH
    Droooooowwwwwwwwn youuuuuurrrrrselllllllllllfffffffffff
    It's orgaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssmicccccccccccccc
    edited October 2010
    I remember hearing this same thing in school. I never bought it though I just cant see how it would be euphoric. Inhaling water would hurt like hell wouldn't it plus the panic factor.

Yeah I think panic would be the buzz kill. Other than that, the lack of oxygen is probably part of the high. I have no idea what actual water going into your lungs would feel like though.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I think panic would be the buzz kill. Other than that, the lack of oxygen is probably part of the high. I have no idea what actual water going into your lungs would feel like though.

I always heard it feels like being stabbed in the lungs. It makes sense think about when you inhale to much smoke or something and couph a lot but imagine it being water and every time you couph you just inhale more when you breath. Fuck that. Drowning to me would be one of the worst deaths. up there with fire and being buried alive.
    edited October 2010
    I imagine it's like having something you eat go into your lungs instead of your stomach, except it's over 9000 times worse.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited October 2010
    The first option. There is nothing written where it says you will definitely drown. That is, there is a chance of survival. How light will a 50lb block weigh underwater, anyway?
  • edited October 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    The first option. There is nothing written where it says you will definitely drown. That is, there is a chance of survival. How light will a 50lb block weigh underwater, anyway?

Too much for you to stay afloat. Even if you could for a while your in the middle of an ocean, you would get exhausted pretty quickly.

Also I had a friend in middle school who drowned and was brought back to life, he said it felt very peaceful after the first breath.
  • edited October 2010
    I'd go for the helicopter scenario.
    1. I always wanted to go sky diving
    2. starving sucks.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    Anybody else think theres a good chance you will die on impact with the surface of the water before drowning? I think the velocity would snap something vital...
  • edited October 2010
    also it depends how high you are from the water, if its not that high you dont have to worry about that :p
    edited October 2010
    ^I'm pretty sure you would break your legs and shatter your pelvis but i don't think that you would die. Also the concrete block might hit the water just perfectly enough to make the body go into the water without breaking any bones.

Like you said I think the water would break the water so the impact wouldn't effect you much.