What do you speak/study? — Totseans

What do you speak/study?

skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
edited March 2011 in Life
What languages does totse speak and study and to what level? Here's mine:

-English (Native)
-Spanish (Semi-fluent)
-French (Beginner)
-Romanian (Beginner)
-Japanese (Beginner)

Comments

  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    English(native} and Basic german skills.
  • mr.bluntmr.blunt Regular
    edited July 2010
    English - native
    French - fluent, took french immersion from grades 4 and up, all the way through high school and got my certificate and all that bullshit. i can speak the language well, but a lot of the grammar got to me. i can put up a convo easily, but if i was to write an essay itd be full of mistakes, and usually was during school.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    What languages does totse speak and study and to what level? Here's mine:

    -English (Native)
    -Spanish (Semi-fluent)
    -French (Beginner)
    -Romanian (Beginner)
    -Japanese (Beginner)

    When you say beginner, how much do you actually understand? Can you hold down simple conversations, or just know like 10 words in each?


    English (native)
    Polish (lower-intermediate)
    French (beginner)
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited July 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    When you say beginner, how much do you actually understand? Can you hold down simple conversations, or just know like 10 words in each?


    English (native)
    Polish (lower-intermediate)
    French (beginner)

    As in, "I'm just starting out and the grammar is confusing the fuck out of me!" :( Though I can do some conversational stuff in Romanian.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    The only language language I speak fluently is English. However I'm studying Egyptian Arabic, the most widely spoken Arabic dialects.
  • monotonedmonotoned Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    English (second native)
    Mandarin Chinese (native)
    German (beginners mode, A 2-1)

    The reason I say English is my second native is because it's as fluent as my Chinese. If you were to speak to me on the phone you wouldn't be able to tell that it's not my native tounge.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited July 2010
    monotoned wrote: »
    The reason I say English is my second native is because it's as fluent as my Chinese. If you were to speak to me on the phone you wouldn't be able to tell that it's not my native tounge.

    Indeed, you can have two natives. Very impressive, though.
  • HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited July 2010
    English - Native
    German - 2 years of study, semi-fluent
    Japanese - Basic Conversational
    French - Basic Conversational
  • Cellophane_ManCellophane_Man Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    English (native language)
    Spanish (have degree in Spanish, been living in Spain for past 3 years)
    French (have degree in French, studied it for about 9 years in total, although I don't do a lot to try to practice it unless I have time)
    German (studied for 2 years at university, way behind my French and Spanish levels though)
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    First language: English
    Second: Spanish. I don't know what beginner/intermediate/expert/god means exactly so I'll just say that I completed year 1 but learned, independently, a lot more grammar than I should know for my vocabulary, so I can usually know how to put together what I want to say (even if it sounds funny because I don't know usage convention) but I might need to look up words.

    And then I know a few essential things in various languages, usually the basic greetings, where is the bathroom, I need water, I love you, fuck you, where is my vodka, I don't speak _____, etc.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Jack wrote: »
    First language: English
    Second: Spanish. I don't know what beginner/intermediate/expert/god means exactly so I'll just say that I completed year 1 but learned, independently, a lot more grammar than I should know for my vocabulary, so I can usually know how to put together what I want to say (even if it sounds funny because I don't know usage convention) but I might need to look up words.

    And then I know a few essential things in various languages, like fuck you

    Oh that's quite essential. Lol
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    English (native)

    Spanish (fluent). I have an MA in Spanish and Latin American Lit, taught basic Spanish for 2 years at a university while doing my MA. By fluent I mean I can read/write/speak/understand the language proficiently.

    Portuguese (beginner). I took a semester of it and learned a lot, but I didn't practice so I lost some of the ability. I know a few basic phrases but I'd be able to learn it quickly if I actually practiced. The problem is it's not a very useful language outside of Brazil and I really don't have much opportunity to practice it. The grammar is very similar to Spanish, but there are some major differences like tenses Spanish doesn't have and minor things like differences in the gender of articles. The accent is also somewhat difficult to get down at first. I'd be able to pick up Portuguese and be good at it with a year of study and practice.

    French (basic reading knowledge only). Grad school requires that you have reading knowledge of 3 languages for an MA and at least 4 for a ph d. I took a course on how to read French, but I really skated by without doing much work and got an A. I never practiced much after that course as I never had a use for it. I plan on improving my reading knowledge soon.
  • StrykerStryker New Arrival
    edited November 2010
    English: native.

    Russian: Fluent

    Lithuanian: so-so

    German: Okay to get by.

    Swedish/Danish: Okay to get by.

    And Greek and Latin (learnt both in school).

    Gaelic; Somewhat badly!
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited November 2010
    English - Fluent
    Russian - Fluent
    Japanese - Intermediate
    Arabic - Beginner
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited November 2010
    English: Native
    Sign Language: Native (parents are deaf)
    I also took 4 years of German and 1 yr of Spanish in high school, thats been a while though.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2010
    English - Fluent
    German - Beginner
  • edited November 2010
    English and Spanish-native
    German-beginner
    Chinese-I hate people who speak it because they're chinks
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    english - fluent
    spanish - fluent

    i wanna learn jap. from that rossetta stone thing if anyone haz a copy let me know!
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    you're fluent in spanish? Prove it in the spanish convo thread.
  • edited January 2011
    blindbat wrote: »
    english - fluent
    spanish - fluent

    i wanna learn jap. from that rossetta stone thing if anyone haz a copy let me know!

    demonoid.me has a copy
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    English - native
    Spanish - ~native
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone have languages they plan to learn later? I have like, a list of languages I want to learn kinda one at a time (but later on I'm sure I'll do two at a time to speed up the process). In order (because I already know Spanish decently, I'll leave it off):

    French
    Romanian
    Japanese
    Swedish
    Italian
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Learning beaner could be useful. I'd like to learn russian as well but that would be hard as shit since they have a different alphabet. For now I'll just focus on getting my German speaking ability's better.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    English, states Rolf.
    Rolf's Native Language, states Rolf.
    Rolfish, Rolf's created language, states Rolf.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Ich weiß Deutsche, und Englisch, aber, das ist es.
Sign In or Register to comment.