New Approach

DfgDfg Admin
edited October 2010 in Help and Suggestions
So, I did talk with Vineman about his hosting services and frankly I liked it now. Now, we can't move Totse to a new hosting atm because it's Hellish call and he will do it on his own terms. But we can work on the CMS right away. We did talk about this before, having CMS hosted on a different host was the best way to reduce load.

I propose we have articles.totse.info or textfiles.totse.info which directs to Vineman hosting server. On that we will have joomla ready and clover will work on it without any problems.

All hellish has to do is just link the IP like he did for irc.totse.info.

In the end we have another independent component of Totse which is maintained by the community and then we can finally start publishing real content and use forums for planning and sharing information.

Again the traffic will be distributed and users who like the articles will just join in using forums.totse.info or just www.totse.info.

We would have a new main page which will point uses to Textfiles, forums and IRC.

Feedback/Ideas?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    We fear change.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited October 2010
    Do it nao.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    We fear change.

Not me, I embrace change.
  • edited October 2010
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • edited October 2010

On a serious note, are you talking about making a seperate copy of this site and working on both at the same time...?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010

On a serious note, are you talking about making a seperate copy of this site and working on both at the same time...?

It will be a component of the site. It will be divided by two different platforms. Joomla for CMS and Vbull for forums. The administration will remain the same throughout the components. Like an Admin on forum will have control over CMS and IRC but each new component will have its own handlers. Like abrn handles IRC and gives access to hellish and me and other mods. Vineman will handle the server, whereas I [and hellish] will manage the CMS and handle the users. While Clover or other programmers will handle the operations like running the server and handling any issues.

The aim is to be portable. If totse.info forums go down we still have IRC and CMS [Joomla does have a forum feature, we can use that for handling CMS and making a dedicated Text-file section].

Again, the chain will remain the same. The community will have the higher vote and if you add more Admins it will limit the abuse or control or in other words dictatorship which you see on Zoklet.

This site runs on content and users post content hence they call the shots :p

I will make a detailed thread about this once Vineman agrees to do and Hellish goes along.

Tl;dr:

99.99.9.0 [IP] points to articles.totse.info ---> which basically points to Vineman Server running Joomla.
    203.54.22.2 [IP] points to www.totse.info ---> New main page which points to articles, forum and IRC.
    203.54.22.2 [IP] www.totse.info/bbs ---> forums running on Hellish server which is the main controller of the domain.
    114.21.22.3 [IP] points to irc.totse.info ---> Channel for Totse and Army which is handled by abrn.

The ips are random but the concept is the same.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't know. What about advertising? I mean, rather than have those backups, we should fix what we already got. I think it'd be better to put all our effort into towards these forums, then the main page, then IRC. In that order. Spending time on setting up Joomla seems risky at this point. Besides, we can't afford to advertise one specific link then expect people to go to "article.totse.info" when the real deal is broken. We should be advertising totse.info and it should work. No /bbs. No exceptions. Let people find the forums on their own, through recruitment if anything. But our advertising should be pro and as consistent as possible to avoid confusion. It also makes us look unorganized when our forums are always down and people are talking about it on zoklet.. Keep in mind it's pretty late at night here and I'm totally sidetracked...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    We're following cracked.com and other major website templates. You can't run a forum and CMS on a shitty server. With one carefully placed article we can get 15,000 hits. That will totally take down the forums and the CMS. We're technically balancing the load and making Totse more productive.
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited October 2010
    DFG this sounds like a great idea! Yeah I talked a little smack on Hellish in the other thread, but this is a great idea that would allow him to continue on with whatever parts of his life keep him busy and away from totse, while allowing others to discuss, maintain, and improve new features of the site independently. I love it!
  • edited October 2010
    Whatever we're doing, we need to get it done SOON. I'm definitely up for this change, but please set yourself a deadline to work towards!
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    Myself and the rest of my little butt club are with you :D
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010