Fuck Modern Art

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited December 2010 in Life
Can someone please explain the point of it to me? A piece of art should be judged on its merits not the name of the artist. Take a look at this below. It's called "blind justice"

blind-justice-L.jpg

I call it blind bullshit. Come on somebody actually got paid for that piece of shit? I can't find it right now but there is one that is literally just an orange line going down the middle of a solid grey background.:facepalm:

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    Wherever there's demand...

Voice of Fire: Bought by National Gallery of Canada in 1989 for $1.8m :facepalm:

imageserver?src=WI735828&ext=x.jpg
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2010
    yeah you're absolutely right. It's just pathetic.

I don't know how anyone has the nerve to call that art.

It's all to do with exclusiveness - "I really like that representation of shit-on-a-stick, what do you mean you don't like it? you're such a philistine." and all that
    edited November 2010
    However, don't be so quick to dismiss all modern art. It is a very, very broad term. Some masters of the modern era that quickly come to mind include Picasso and Escher.

But I understand what you're getting at. It's the people who think they're so 'expressive' with their 'abstract' art that ruin it for the rest of us.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited November 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    However, don't be so quick to dismiss all modern art. It is a very, very broad term. Some masters of the modern era that quickly come to mind include Picasso and Escher.

But I understand what you're getting at. It's the people who think they're so 'expressive' with their 'abstract' art that ruin it for the rest of us.

I was mainly using Modern art in a general sense. Piccaso for example was brilliant but when I talk about Modern art I'm referring to the bullshit like in the images above. It seems like if an artist is well known then he can literally just throw paint at something and call it "art" probably saying he was "expressing his compulsive nature" or some shit.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited November 2010
    I've studied art for 3 years and still think this is crap. I found it amazing when some of my lecturers would critique something I had made spontaneously and without thought, yet they could still give such in depth perspectives.

These days its not the work you create that makes you an artist, its the words and terminology you use to go with it. Anyone can be an artist, you've just got to know how to word it right.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited November 2010
    Fuckme! His explanation of that fucked up bit of trash is more bullshit than the piece itself. How the fuck did he associate that to this?. :facepalm:
    "Justice" Sucks

It is said that justice is blind. Justice is more than blind it is dead. Today the little man without fame and fortune suffers a fate of long prison terms while the rich and famous get their pictures plastered in the media, a slap on the wrist and go on to do it again and again and again on ad nauseum with no real consequenses to their actions.
    Paris Hilton cried and had panic attacks and was sentenced to house arrest before her decision was overturned and she was sent to jail for a very brief period of time. Michael Vick got an eighteen month sentence for dog fighting and inhumane treatment to an animal. If it was you or me, well, I would hate to think what would have been the justice received.
    This image was created while I was at the University and it really deals with the justice of divorce courts. I witnessed first hand how lies and half truths can effect the outcome of a divorce. Especially when one's attorney never says a word and sells you down the river.

http://www.studiokdd.com/pages/blind-justice.html
    edited November 2010
    ^^^Fuck work then I'll become a "modern artist" and "express" myself through bullshit.
    edited November 2010
    ^
    I'll go partnership with you (nohomo)
    I can create the works of art (because that's what we'll call them from now on) and you can give it the fang-dangled verbally artistic reason for it's existance.
    We'll crack the big bucks. :p
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll explain it to you. This is what modern art is, and it's very simple: museums and collectors willing to pay for shit that does not take talent to make, and does not have any real meaning other than the meanings people somehow assign to it through bullshit. You've figured out what modern art is: meaningless shit. It's supposed to be meaningless to represent how reality is fragmented, relative and bullshit.

If people will pay for it, it has value. That in and of itself is the lesson of modern art. You can draw a line on a canvas and sell it for millions. Art doesn't take talent. It has no message. You do not have to learn how to paint anymore. Very sad, isn't it? That's what they're trying to say about reality. That, or they just want to get rich off of shit.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited November 2010
    No, picasso was a piece of shit too.
    "The 'refined,' the 'rich,' the professional 'do-nothing,' the distiller of quintessence' desire only the peculiar and sensational, the eccentric, the scandalous in today's art. And I, myself, since the advent of cubism have fed these fellows what they wanted and satisfied these critics with all the ridiculous ideas that have passed through my head. The less they understood, the more they admired me! ...Today, as you know, I am celebrated, I am rich. But when I am alone, I do not have the effrontery to consider myself an artist at all, not in the grand meaning of the word. ...I am only a public clown, a mountebank. I have understood my time and exploited THE IMBECILITY, THE VANITY, THE GREED of my contemporaries. It is a bitter confession, this confession of mine, more painful than it may seem. But, atleast, and at last, it does have the merit of being honest."
    - Pablo Picasso

Once upon a time a person studied everything from anatomy to geometry for years before daring to call himself an artist. But so-called modern "art" provides instant gratification, and with proper connections, bribes and propaganda to go along with political correctness it is even rewarded with wealth and fame.

The reality of it is the splashing paint on a canvas and smashing away at stones by those spastic freaks without the talent or wish to create life-like portraits.

Now Hitler was a good painter :thumbsup:
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited November 2010
    u guis just doughnt undarstand thu brillyince ov it :o:o:o:o
    edited November 2010
    Negrophobe wrote: »

- Pablo Picasso

Once upon a time a person studied everything from anatomy to geometry for years before daring to call himself an artist. But so-called modern "art" provides instant gratification, and with proper connections, bribes and propaganda to go along with political correctness it is even rewarded with wealth and fame.

The reality of it is the splashing paint on a canvas and smashing away at stones by those spastic freaks without the talent or wish to create life-like portraits.

But Picasso got rich from the ignorance of others. He trolled everyone and got famous for it.
    edited November 2010

- Pablo Picasso

It's quite interesting you should say that considering Pablo and Hitler both got kicked out of art school. The only difference was Pablo got booted because of his radical views on art and Hitler got kicked because he wasn't very good at it.:rolleyes:
    edited November 2010
    It wasn't that he wasn't good at painting. They rejected him because he couldn't paint portraits. Otherwise, there's some amazing stuff:

hitlerart4.jpg
    edited November 2010
    bornkiller wrote: »
    It's quite interesting you should say that considering Pablo and Hitler both got kicked out of art school. The only difference was Pablo got booted because of his radical views on art and Hitler got kicked because he wasn't very good at it.:rolleyes:

ORLY?????
    Adolf_Hitlers_Paintings_13.jpg

watercolor-1912.jpg

oil%201913.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Yeah his portrait is shit, but the other ones are great.
    edited November 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Yeah his portrait is shit, but the other ones are great.

It was better than this bullshit from Piccaso
    81291657.zL5D81eN.jpg

piccaso1.jpg
    edited December 2010
    ORLY?????
    YahRLY!....Unoriginal.:o
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited December 2010
    bornkiller wrote: »

Did you miss the part where I said about the right conenctions. Why the fuck can't any of you retards read?
    edited December 2010
    Did you miss the part where I said about the right conenctions. Why the fuck can't any of you retards read?
    Could you stipulate more on "the right connections" please brah?;) 5CHAR!
  • VisualoveVisualove New Arrival
    edited December 2010
    ahhh.. modern art

the argument of modern art relies in the idea behind the pieces created. a lot of artists placed a greater value over the message or idea implemented in the piece over the aesthetic of the actual art. many artists of course took this idea to the limits, creating a lot of the crappy art that many of you would never pay a dime for, unfortunately, art is also political. There are artists who because of connections and not their talent rose to fame and created multi million dollar pieces which look like they did in a few minutes.

Personally, even though much of the modern art i have seen i feel has no artistic merit, i do commend these artist on their promotional skills and tactics. I mean yes, anybody could make this bullshit, but what sets them apart is they invested time and energy, perhaps not on their pieces (obviously), but on making someone, somewhere actually pay a lot for these pieces of "art." Again, it is what these pieces represent depending on their time period and what buyers pay are what gives them their value.

Plus, i think it gave rise to a higher freedom in the arts, like breaking from realism because of the camera. It would be rather dull if in all of art history, there was only an emphasis on making things look beautiful. And lastly, these assholes had a bit of guts, if people think it sucks now, there was probably a lot more who thought it was shit when it was first made and there are future generations who still think it is just as lame, but they did get people talking and now you show this piece " blind justice" that you are bashing, but still presenting it to a larger audience and thats really all the artist wants. Btw, it is an ugly piece of crap. Just like much of the modern "art" created.
    ..........If i create something though and someone tells me its a piece of shit, what else can i do other than tell them they're right. Otherwise I'd be calling them a liar. Different perspectives just adds to the piece.

btw people, if anybody digs in the history of picasso's work and look at some of his early art, you'll see how talented this guy was. He went through Many styles and even created a few. Except complete realism gets boring after a while, so he strayed away. I'm glad he did
  • edited December 2010
    Pakistanis sniff cum