Why do you feel the need to believe in something?

TurkishDelightTurkishDelight Acolyte
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I don't. I don't think I ever have. Not because I'm bitter or angry or whatever, but simply because I could never know what I'm placing my belief in is true or not (with most established religions). It is my opinion then, that if I can't know, and no amount of faith OR questioning will tell me otherwise (Ex. - God won't descend from on high to tell you there's an afterlife no matter how many Hail Marry's you pray) then I should learn to not question the unknowable. I think it would be better-no more stress about the ramifications your actions might have for eternity, no more wondering what you'll be re-incarnated as, no wondering if their are even higher planes of existence or even if God as being or whatever you'd like to think of him as exists at all and if he did would he even CARE what we are doing in the FIRST place?!

Wouldn't that be better? I think so. I like to think it helps me focus less on what could or might be and more on what is.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't. I don't think I ever have. Not because I'm bitter or angry or whatever, but simply because I could never know what I'm placing my belief in is true or not (with most established religions). It is my opinion then, that if I can't know, and no amount of faith OR questioning will tell me otherwise (Ex. - God won't descend from on high to tell you there's an afterlife no matter how many Hail Marry's you pray) then I should learn to not question the unknowable. I think it would be better-no more stress about the ramifications your actions might have for eternity, no more wondering what you'll be re-incarnated as, no wondering if their are even higher planes of existence or even if God as being or whatever you'd like to think of him as exists at all and if he did would he even CARE what we are doing in the FIRST place?!

Wouldn't that be better? I think so. I like to think it helps me focus less on what could or might be and more on what is.

It wont be better when you descend into hell for all of eternity. So while it may be better on earth will it be better in the afterlife? You dont have to worry here on earth because if you believe youll be forgiven.

Luke 16:22 "Now it came about that the poor man died and he was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. 23 "And in Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 "And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue; for I am in agony in this flame.' 25 "But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. 26 'And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, in order that those who wish to come over from here to you may not be able, and [that] none may cross over from there to us.'

Reve 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one [of them] according to their deeds.
    14 And death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    I try not to believe in anything. Surrendering to any belief implicitly is surrendering your free will.
  • TurkishDelightTurkishDelight Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    It wont be better when you descend into hell for all of eternity. So while it may be better on earth will it be better in the afterlife? You dont have to worry here on earth because if you believe youll be forgiven.

Luke 16:22 "Now it came about that the poor man died and he was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. 23 "And in Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 "And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue; for I am in agony in this flame.' 25 "But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. 26 'And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, in order that those who wish to come over from here to you may not be able, and [that] none may cross over from there to us.'

Reve 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one [of them] according to their deeds.
    14 And death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

I think if anyone or anythings judging me for an afterlife, they'd appreciate my sincere lack of faith more than my cheap "afterlife-insurance policy" faith.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    My imagination and curiosity.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    Someone put this trinket in my mind: "I'd rather burn in hell than spend eternity in heaven with a bunch of Christians."

But yeah, I don't think this idea is stressed to much in the Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens etc. religious books.

It'd be interesting hearing about this from someone who can honestly look BACK on there believing days and say why they were there.

My best guesses:

Gives 'em something to do.
    Give's them something to push their problems off onto, "It's not your fault fool! God wants it this way."
    Parents/Community pushie pushie.
    blah
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Pray hard on your deathbed IMO :o
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010

Don't fool yourself into thinking you're better.
  • edited July 2010
    I believe everything when I am high.
  • edited July 2010
    My policy is 'If I don't know then I'm not suppose to know' and I leave it at that and don't try to figure things out. Maybe there is an afterlife, maybe we just rot in the ground for a while, or maybe we even get reincarnated as something else.

Mass and energy can not be created or destroyed, only changed. So no matter what we always will be part of the universe in some way or another, whether or not we will be conscious of it in some form is another question. For now, I'll just try not to be too much of a dick while I'm alive just for the sake of not being a dick.
  • AgrosAgros Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I believe everything when I am high.

Everything always makes more sense doesn't it?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    I believed because I had K-12 catholic schooling and it was easier to try to believe and fit in with everyone else. There were only a few students who were openly atheists. They got ridiculed all the time in religion class and elsewhere. I had a lot of doubts starting when I was probably 12, 13 or so, but I did my best to believe anyway because when you're told all this shit starting when you're 2, it leaves an impression on you. I read a lot on MGCBTSOOYG and other sites all over, but I didn't have the courage to admit to myself that I was an atheist til I was about 17. I started going to church alone, because I figured I had to go. After high school I went a few more times. I was in church when I realized that everything I had been told my whole life was a bunch of shit. All of a sudden I felt completely relieved and happy. I walked out of the church, and never went back. I would go to Borders instead and lie to my parents about who the priest was for mass and what the sermon was about. So basically I completely gave up on religion as soon as I graduated from high school and was able to move out of my parents' house. Once I was away from the religious environment, I didn't have to force myself to believe or act like I believed anymore. My life has been much happier since that day.