WikiLeaks Discussion

sAINTsAINT Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
In this thread we will discuss all information obtained from Wikileaks, and the controversy surrounding it.

-
-

(Reserving this space for more!)

Comments

• acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited November 2010
    All I know about it is releasing undisclosed information about casualties, which I do not disagree with.

As a retired soldier, and reading several great books about the account of Pat Tillman I think we need to quit being so secretive. Giving people the straight ugly truth at the beginning doesn't burn as much as lying and destroying some amazing mans legacy. Friendly fire occurs, that I thought that was clearly understood as an ugly duality of war.. The situation of Tillman was a bit B/S, but that's largely due to command splitting the unit when it shouldn't have been, and jackasses walking all over the radio(way too common.) But that's Command being 200 miles away control something, that the boots on the ground have a better understanding of.

My biggest gripe of my service was following orders, that was asinine and dangerous for no reason. But unfortunately in the service, you follow fucking orders or get your ass blasted.

P.S. I'm you're Co-Mod now :P Not that I see any problems coming from here.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2010
    I'm always surprised at the level of support wikileaks get. The American government has done it's best to try to portray them as traitors and it seems to have utterly failed.

In all honesty, the military stuff that wikileaks publishes bores me. If you take the military at it's word in regards to casualties and details you're a fool to begin with.

I support wikileaks as a concept. I have absolutely zero use for it, but it's good that they're keeping governments on their toes. Two things can happen as a result, either the governments will stop documenting thing or they will be more liberal with what they disclose. Lets hop the latter will happen.

As a sidenote, if any government has made contact with extra-terrestrials it'll sooner be leaked on wikileaks than anyone willingly divulging the information.
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't take much interest in what Wikileaks has to publish, but I do think it's better off published. People deserve to know the truth, and it's not like what is released could be any worse than what the Japs did to soldiers in WW2
    edited November 2010
    Wikileaks is good for the public as it reveals a bit of secrecy of the .Mil. Although very very, low classified level. Even troopers like my company and contingent operated under more clandestine means as it were happening, but it's still not to be discussed under a penalty of federal imprisonment.

The death toll I think should NEVER be classified. They hide it to discourage support of the war. And there is no other reason. They have done such nearly as long as classifying documents has been a possibility, and will continue to do so as a means of duping the civilians in to supporting this on going slaughter house.
  • wikileaksdiscussionwikileaksdiscussion Semo-Regulars
    edited December 2010
    wikileaksdiscussion.com

wikileaks Hero or Destroyer ?

Discuss intelligent articles about wikileaks, check wikileaks current websites, and much more

next article 8.12.2010

please check:
    www.wikileaksdiscussion.com
  • edited December 2010
    wikileaksdiscussion.com

wikileaks Hero or Destroyer ?

Discuss intelligent articles about wikileaks, check wikileaks current websites, and much more

next article 8.12.2010

please check:
    www.wikileaksdiscussion.com

Current website link is great, thanks. Not sure I enjoy the spam though, but fuck it.
    edited December 2010
    I'm always surprised at the level of support wikileaks get. The American government has done it's best to try to portray them as traitors and it seems to have utterly failed.

In all honesty, the military stuff that wikileaks publishes bores me. If you take the military at it's word in regards to casualties and details you're a fool to begin with.

I support wikileaks as a concept. I have absolutely zero use for it, but it's good that they're keeping governments on their toes. Two things can happen as a result, either the governments will stop documenting thing or they will be more liberal with what they disclose. Lets hop the latter will happen.

As a sidenote, if any government has made contact with extra-terrestrials it'll sooner be leaked on wikileaks than anyone willingly divulging the information.

The real point is that our .Gov and .Mil takes very very accurate account of all casualties of war. If you don't believe me join the .Mil and get boosted to a NCO. We are required to document every kill and casualty if we remain in the area.

The Paper work I've filled out for casualties reaches volumes. That gets passed up to the CO to pass reports and so on. Everything that is isn't company soldier death' just gets passed on. So it was mainly reports from SSGnT's(me) MSgnT's, and 1stSgnt's. got the duty of doing casualty inventory. That's brothers and enemies. SSgts and 1stSgnts usually kept moving with the push with the squad/platoon. 1stSgnts and SSGnts are typically the glue for command if an LT. gets lost. We lost two. Once I had to take Platoon for a few months, and Second time Our AMAZINGASS fucking 1stSgt took hold. That mother fucker should have been division Commander. Much Respect.

It wasn't pretty. Most of the time when I was SSGt, my unit moved so fast and violent I never had to deal with it. But when I was placed in Iraq for 2 months, that is pretty much all I did was inventory and document dead combatants and brothers. It was hideous. I was used to fire fights in the mountains- fire, move. Fire, fight move. Within my platoon we lost 5 kids in 3 tours. All in Afghanistan. Not Iraq. In Iraq I had to document at least fucking 20some dead American/French/English. It was fucked.(That's coalition, not the 100's of enemy)

In that count I saw two kids I knew in basic. That shit is fucked up. I also saw two Iraqis we trained. That was as heartbreaking as well. You train a mother fucker to combat his homeland/brothers/enemies/sons.... It's Maybe even worse. The French and English we fought with were obviously competent paratroopers, these kids were not. The French and English were on Par with us, if not above, and the Iraqis' we were trying to train. They would die on a simple patrol out of a FOB.

Once you are dead, you are nothing but an inventory number. That's what ended my tours. I thrived on combat and shot through the ranks, but Christ, Most of the kids I had to put a number on were 16-18 yrs. Combat was a thrill to me, but seeing my own French, English, American, and Iraqi brothers in body bags next to each other..... Fuck. 5 months later I refused to reup my contract. I wasn't likely to die due to experience, but fuck. I got tiered of seeing so many I knew get slaughtered.

You want a hell of a killer and combatant to disown the war? Make him count his countrymen, allies, and brothers in those body bags. Jesus christ. That did it for me. I was a good soldier. But Seeing not only my American brothers, but English, French, Iraqi's, and Afghan's become body bags. I got the fuck out while I could still walk out with an Honorable discharge.
    edited December 2010
    I realize a lot of that is unreadable. But I do feel strongly about it. Even in my drunken state I mean every word that makes sense.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    It was quite readable, and it's really nice to see someone with real experience give their POV. Personally I wouldn't be able to deal with combat. It's all well and good to say zomg i wanna kill me some a-rabs, but when it comes down to it I don't want to be out living in a shithole killing anyone.

I can't stand reading through volumes of wikileaks shit, but I like that it's out there at least.
    edited December 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    It was quite readable, and it's really nice to see someone with real experience give their POV. Personally I wouldn't be able to deal with combat. It's all well and good to say zomg i wanna kill me some a-rabs, but when it comes down to it I don't want to be out living in a shithole killing anyone.

I can't stand reading through volumes of wikileaks shit, but I like that it's out there at least.

95 percent of soldiering has nothing to do with combat. Combat is what makes an infantry man, but most of the time is spent moving or getting dug in. I was a paratrooper but still, only saw a few firefights a year. And we saw more combat than most infantry. Most of the time is spent being a fucking ditch digger or riding in patrol in a Humvee.

Once you're an NCO the paperwork starts. Sgt and up. And once you're a CO all you do is Paperwork. I liked having command over soldiers in that I'm very good with leadership, but taking casualty reports is the worst.
  • edited January 2011
    I think wikileaks is a good thing to have as a global community, It's interesting to me, as a noncombatant, to read through current events unfiltered by news corporations or governments. A digital breath of fresh air amidst a flurry of propaganda and slanted buzz words.
    Altind wrote: »
    I don't take much interest in what Wikileaks has to publish, but I do think it's better off published. People deserve to know the truth, and it's not like what is released could be any worse than what the Japs did to soldiers in WW2

From what I've heard some actions taken by the us government is on par with some of the crimes against humanity committed in WWII japan. With the suspension of habes corpus in regards to foreign nationals and the night raids occurring repeatedly during the conflict in afganistan, I'd say the undocumented and seemingly infrequent grotesque torture scenarios playing out globally over these past years certainly bears grounds for scores of War Tribunals
  • edited January 2011
    From what I've heard some actions taken by the us government is on par with some of the crimes against humanity committed in WWII japan.

Maybe a few photos from the Japanese occupation of China will be able to get through your thick liberal skull

reI6r.jpg
    M65xz.jpg
    s71D4.jpg
    9RwIb.jpg
    mPp8X.jpg
    Y6yTU.jpg
    4O4Ud.jpg
    fVvqT.jpg
    DVxzc.jpg
    y4HOQ.jpg
    aPRwi.jpg
    ELVDX.jpg
    yXTQd.jpg
    8TlJl.jpg
    lKaKX.jpg
    LBWWz.jpg
    RTbRP.jpg
    uIHmp.jpg
    rYPcw.jpg
    kleJy.jpg
    fX9nG.jpg
    RdVOf.jpg
    qsxlp.jpg
    t4Lch.jpg
    Bu67B.jpg
    4HV8J.jpg
    UkJei.jpg
    xTGcv.jpg
    HCTTx.jpg
    and a special one for negrophobe:
    vRpNa.jpg

The only thing Wikileaks has managed to prove is that Coalition forces are behaving like fucking saints compared to the enemy, and that "hearts and minds" doesn't work, the only way to pacify and occupy a country successfully is the way the nips used in WWII, and the way the world used before liberals and communist infiltrators cried about it and pussied up the culture of the enlightened world.

The reason our occupation is failing isn't because we've had instances of My Lai, it's because we have failed to adopted it as a policy.
  • edited January 2011
    Maybe the reason Im still not getting this is Mao did far more damage to his own people than the Japanese did. Maybe its because I view decapitation as a relatively quick death. Maybe its because I couldnt really picture walking until I died with people gibbering at me at shooting anyone who falls behind.

Or maybe its because I think hooking up car batteries to genitalia, the standardization of sleep deprivation and drilling multiple holes in a person then dumping them in the streets are all extremely low things to do to a person. Im willing to say that I believe that wars without drafts are partially fueled by racial intolerance and I dont agree with that because it implies that some soldiers would be willing to take things farther with an arab then a white person. That and I dont like the idea of US soldiers kicking down peoples doors at 3 AM and shooting them in the head in front of their families, it just doesnt sit well with me. Point is its undignified and just too damn easy. This has nothing to do with politics. I cant fucking stand it when our government sends people to go off and kill in another nation. Its exporting murder and terrorism simultaneously; keeping the war in a state of equilibrium and putting our defense budget through the roof. If we kept it domestic we could grow stronger as a nation and a people instead of as a nation state. Chew on that.

Edit: Okay so we dont kill kids, but thats why we tried Japanese as war criminals remember? Is simply suggesting that someone in the US government might be at fault for the repeated murder of innocent civilians as acceptable losses so terrible and treasonous to you?
    edited January 2011
    Isolationism does not, and can not work in modern society. Especially when we produce nothing, import everything, and out source all work. If we keep a weak military we will be over run.

The war in Afghanistan could have been won in two weeks. A platoon of Rangers and Special forces had The leaders, generals, and our buddy Bin Laden pinned down in the same caves the Russians couldn't bomb out. They had rope hooked up to repel up, sweep and clear. Maybe would have lost 5-6 men. Well while sweeping. Lest we forget the idiot who had to reboot his GPS, and called an airstrike on their own position because he didn't reset the coordinence.

Problem is, our infallable leaders at the time didn't want the war in Afghanistan over in two weeks. Didn't give them the time to launch an invasion in Iraq. When the platoon called in for a GO to head up the rocks and sweep the caves, the CIA made sure they were given a NO-GO. And of course, no reason was given. Thus we launched a full out invasion of both countries, and I got to enjoy eating shitty food and getting shot at. At least I didn't get sent to Iraq. A month of Patrol there was enough for me, that whole damn place smelled like shit.

That's where we sit man. Too concerned with other silly objectives and knocking over regimes we put in place.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    Fatty, your argument has a serious flaw: no one cares what happens to chinks.
  • edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Fatty, your argument has a serious flaw: no one cares what happens to chinks.

Yeah, but people care even less about what happens to sandniggers. I would be happy to see Dfg end up like anyone in those pictures.
  • edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Isolationism does not, and can not work in modern society. Especially when we produce nothing, import everything, and out source all work. If we keep a weak military we will be over run.

The war in Afghanistan could have been won in two weeks. A platoon of Rangers and Special forces had The leaders, generals, and our buddy Bin Laden pinned down in the same caves the Russians couldn't bomb out. They had rope hooked up to repel up, sweep and clear. Maybe would have lost 5-6 men. Well while sweeping. Lest we forget the idiot who had to reboot his GPS, and called an airstrike on their own position because he didn't reset the coordinence.

Problem is, our infallable leaders at the time didn't want the war in Afghanistan over in two weeks. Didn't give them the time to launch an invasion in Iraq. When the platoon called in for a GO to head up the rocks and sweep the caves, the CIA made sure they were given a NO-GO. And of course, no reason was given. Thus we launched a full out invasion of both countries, and I got to enjoy eating shitty food and getting shot at. At least I didn't get sent to Iraq. A month of Patrol there was enough for me, that whole damn place smelled like shit.

That's where we sit man. Too concerned with other silly objectives and knocking over regimes we put in place.

Somehow this is exactly what I needed to hear
    edited January 2011
    Somehow this is exactly what I needed to hear

If that was a smug, satirical, slander of me; let's look at this one.
    Im willing to say that I believe that wars without drafts are partially fueled by racial intolerance and I dont agree with that because it implies that some soldiers would be willing to take things farther with an arab then a white person. That and I dont like the idea of US soldiers kicking down peoples doors at 3 AM and shooting them in the head in front of their families, it just doesnt sit well with me.

Listen. I served with a lot of jackass rednecks. And I was raised in the midwest. I know how racially bigoted this country is, and how Christian serving. And war makes it a hellllll of a lot worse.

However I was raised by liberal parents, religion was our own choice and I was an Atheist. And I'm engaged to a Jew(a lot of people are queasy about that one) The rest of my family has Christian ideals, although most don't attend church. I had a bachelors degree upon joining. But I was actually denied a suggested promotion to 1stSgt in my last tour, because of my beliefs( seriously :facepalm:)

Anyway. The bigotry happens in every war. I wasn't a nice leader to those who showed that racial b/s. WWII they were inhuman Krauts, the japs were crazed monsters. Korea and Vietnam they were reckless, souless gooks. Whatever man.

In any war, each side vilifies the other in to disgusting monsters of evil. You don't get kids to kill one another, by telling them that the other is a pretty nice guy.

War is War. War doesn't exist without propaganda.

We cleared houses. We drug a few guys away in the dark. But I've never shot a person who wasn't shooting at me, or barreling at a checkpoint a good 40KmH too fast after having rifles aimed at him.

However the sad fact remains. A lot of people are shot and killed, because this isn't fucking WWII anymore. We may wear a distinctive uniform, but the Enemy doesn't. If someone is running towards you and doesn't stop. You shoot. Then you deal with who they were, what. It's pretty much vietnam all over again. But we have better armor, and better trained troops. It's nasty man. You can rag on we soldiers, but it's not fun.
  • edited January 2011

Listen. I served with a lot of jackass rednecks. And I was raised in the midwest. I know how racially bigoted this country is, and how Christian serving. And war makes it a hellllll of a lot worse.

However I was raised by liberal parents, religion was our own choice and I was an Atheist. And I'm engaged to a Jew(a lot of people are queasy about that one) The rest of my family has Christian ideals, although most don't attend church. I had a bachelors degree upon joining. But I was actually denied a suggested promotion to 1stSgt in my last tour, because of my beliefs( seriously :facepalm:)

Anyway. The bigotry happens in every war. I wasn't a nice leader to those who showed that racial b/s. WWII they were inhuman Krauts, the japs were crazed monsters. Korea and Vietnam they were reckless, souless gooks. Whatever man.

In any war, each side vilifies the other in to disgusting monsters of evil. You don't get kids to kill one another, by telling them that the other is a pretty nice guy.

War is War. War doesn't exist without propaganda.

We cleared houses. We drug a few guys away in the dark. But I've never shot a person who wasn't shooting at me, or barreling at a checkpoint a good 40KmH too fast after having rifles aimed at him.

However the sad fact remains. A lot of people are shot and killed, because this isn't fucking WWII anymore. We may wear a distinctive uniform, but the Enemy doesn't. If someone is running towards you and doesn't stop. You shoot. Then you deal with who they were, what. It's pretty much vietnam all over again. But we have better armor, and better trained troops. It's nasty man. You can rag on we soldiers, but it's not fun.

Boo hoo sweetie, we're all crying you a river. Go buy a fucking bottle of jack and play russian roulette, don't write like it on the internet to normal people.

P.S. what gets you barely legal pussy at shitty college town nightclubs from starry eyed, easily trusting, and delusional college girls doesn't get you shit on the internet.
    edited January 2011
    Boo hoo sweetie, we're all crying you a river. Go buy a fucking bottle of jack and play russian roulette, don't write like it on the internet to normal people.

P.S. what gets you barely legal pussy at shitty college town nightclubs from starry eyed, easily trusting, and delusional college girls doesn't get you shit on the internet.

I've been out of College for 4 1/2 years. And I'm engaged to a girl I met about 5 1/2 ago. I don't need your interweb love fatty. DirtyS misses you :o
  • edited January 2011
    I've been out of College for 4 1/2 years. And I'm engaged to a girl I met about 5 1/2 ago. I don't need your interweb love fatty. DirtyS misses you :o

Enjoy your ITT Tech associates degree and the stripper/childhood flame who will cheat on you the second you show signs of instability, around 8 months into your "marriage."
    edited January 2011
    Enjoy your ITT Tech associates degree and the stripper/childhood flame who will cheat on you the second you show signs of instability, around 8 months into your "marriage."

Theodore_Roosevelt_laughing.jpg

You're a funny guy... guy. ;)
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    What was this thread about again? Oh yeah, wikileaks. With all of the delightfully informational talk about the war I almost forgot.

So now the U.S. wants to send Assange to either Guantanamo (which I thought we were supposed to be shutting down) or the afterlife if there is one. Thoughts?
  • edited January 2011
    What was this thread about again? Oh yeah, wikileaks. With all of the delightfully informational talk about the war I almost forgot.

So now the U.S. wants to send Assange to either Guantanamo (which I thought we were supposed to be shutting down) or the afterlife if there is one. Thoughts?

Brah the whole world wants to send Assange to either Guantanamo (which will be shut down when it's no longer needed I.E. liberals shut up or disappear) or the afterlife if there is one, because the privacy of embassy lines of communication with the capital of their respective countries is sacrosanct and something no UN member state wants to see compromised.
  • edited January 2011

It wasnt but your response was informative regardless. Mostly I was temporarily stunned by a factual account of how close we go to nabbing that bitch osama.

What I learned in class today was. Cant have war without some war crimes.

Until we lose or someone pulls the debt rug out I guess its all fair game

ITT FuckFace: I would not like the Us government to send Assange to Gitmo. Besides if they did manage to get their hands on him they would likely send him to the Indiana or Illinois inland terrorist detention centers
  • edited January 2011
    ITT FuckFace: I would not like the Us government to send Assange to Gitmo. Besides if they did manage to get their hands on him they would likely send him to the Indiana or Illinois inland terrorist detention centers

You are the leader of a UN member state?
    No?
    Then shut the fuck up.
  • edited January 2011
    You are the leader of a UN member state?
    No?
    Then shut the fuck up.

You a dick on the internet?
    Yes?
    Keep flaming.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011

Removing Assange won't change anything as he is not the only person working at Wikileaks, states Rolf, killing him or sending him to prison will only increase his support, continues Rolf. It won't stop people leaking information either, states Rolf, which is the actual problem.

Now that idiot Brad Manning should be flayed alive in public for all to see, states Rolf, before being crucified, sure, states Rolf, it's a bit Roman, but the Romans did quite a lot of things correctly, finishes Rolf.
  • edited January 2011
    Rolf wrote: »
    Removing Assange won't change anything as he is not the only person working at Wikileaks, states Rolf, killing him or sending him to prison will only increase his support, continues Rolf. It won't stop people leaking information either, states Rolf, which is the actual problem.

Now that idiot Brad Manning should be flayed alive in public for all to see, states Rolf, before being crucified, sure, states Rolf, it's a bit Roman, but the Romans did quite a lot of things correctly, finishes Rolf.

Agreed on both counts, however it'd be nice to see Assange taken down a notch or two for his arrogance and stupidity.
    edited January 2011
    They won't be able to publicly crucify Assange, I wouldn't think. He can't be considered a traitor or defector as he isn't from this country. He wasn't the one with the security clearance to even uncover the shit. A lot of that comes down to disgruntled Officers and paper pushers.

Meh. I don't see life getting very rough for him. Unless he stays in countries he's releasing information on. Or if he shits on Putin. I wouldn't trust Putin sitting in the same country as my girlfriend or my dog. The guy has a screw loose.