Writing yourself a (bad) cheque?

edited March 2011 in Man Cave
I have an account and a chequebook with bank A; but my balance at bank A is 0 - can I write myself a cheque and cash it at bank B (where I also have an account)? I don't care about the legality/consequences, I just want to know if it's possible.

Comments

• thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited November 2010
    I have an account and a chequebook with bank A; but my balance at bank A is 0 - can I write myself a cheque and cash it at bank B (where I also have an account)? I don't care about the legality/consequences, I just want to know if it's possible.

The check will bounce and you get no money. Yes it is illegal and they will know who you are because the check is coming from you own account.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited November 2010
    they'll laugh their asses off at you for even trying it.

^Also this
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited November 2010
    :facepalm: Don't bother. You will get no cash. Although when i had my debit card I went 100 bucks over the limit and never paid. They just closed my account and now no bank wants me.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, but I'm cashing the cheque at a different bank, where they have no knowledge of my balance at the first bank. Usually, when you deposit a cheque the money becomes available immidiately, even though it only clears in a few days. Surely I could withdraw that money right away? It will bounce in a few days and I'll be very much in the red, but I don't give a fuck about that.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited November 2010
    I went 100 bucks over the limit and never paid. They just closed my account and now no bank wants me.

Don't worry about the morality side, you are the first owner of that money, it was never deposits or reserves.
    :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2010
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited November 2010
    depending on the amount, you could be charged
  • electric wizardelectric wizard Acolyte
    edited November 2010
    You'd be better off overdrawing that account at an ATM. I say this only because it is guaranteed to work. Why do you think banks ALLOW a certain overcharge limit? It is because they intend to make money on the fees. However, if you do not intend to pay those fees, and have another account that you're keeping in good balance, then there's no need to worry.

Your credit score will go down a few points when the debt is sold to credit collectors, but until then you're fine.

Go crazy. I once did this for over 700 dollars in the span of two days (it was an emergency), and still have a bank account.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    This used to be a big thing back in the day, now it is watched and very illegal, you will be arrested, you will go to jail.

Kids.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    total fucking fail,

but yes google check kiting
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    uofmcamaro wrote: »

I saw what you did there, deleteing posts is bad karma.
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    I saw what you did there, deleteing posts is bad karma.

I should've just edited my post. I did the same thing I just made my hyperlink a phrase instead of it just saying "www.lmgtfy.com/" and so on
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    ugh, it's not annoying at all to have threads that died months ago dug back up to the top.
    :P
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    lazybum wrote: »
    ugh, it's not annoying at all to have threads that died months ago dug back up to the top.
    :P

Yeah dipshit like no one can tell the post that dug this up wasnt deleted.
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    This used to be a big thing back in the day, now it is watched and very illegal, you will be arrested, you will go to jail.

Kids.

This isn't so true. People do it all the time and banks just monitor their accounts and/or close their accounts. It has to be big and bad stuff to get arrested for it.

My source is me...I've worked at a bank.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    This isn't so true. People do it all the time and banks just monitor their accounts and/or close their accounts. It has to be big and bad stuff to get arrested for it.

My source is me...I've worked at a bank.

Well I've never worked at a bank, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so BOOYAH.
  • edited March 2011
    I'll be leaving the country for good a few days later (not because of this, I mean anyway) so I won't be around to face the music. Write a cheque from bank A's chequebook for... whatever amount - $1000, say. Cash it at my other bank. Withdraw the cash from ATM's. Profit.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Why not just borrow money off of yourself with penalties, interest, and possible jail time.? :facepalm:
    edited March 2011
    DirtySanchez is right. All that will happen to you is your account will be closed for account abuse. Your info will be put into a system that other banks check and you will, basically, be blackballed from opening checking accounts.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Chase offers second chance checking account for those who are in ChexSystems.
    edited March 2011
    Chase offers second chance checking account for those who are in ChexSystems.

Lots of places offer second chance accounts if you have chexsystems records....with restrictions. Minimum balances, fees, harsher limits on debit cards, etc...
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    any check cashing store might do it.

or just make a check out to a friend and have him

get you the money and give him 15%.

Or go to wally world and buy few items, get cash back then.

goodluck. and this is perfectly legal,

have fun. :)
    edited March 2011
    WalMart has a similar thing to chexsystems. Telecheck. That really sucks when you get put on it.

Plus, WalMart converts their checks now. The odds of you making this work with WalMart aren't very good.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited March 2011
    yea fuck walmart. they don't take checks. they turn checks into electronic debit. your idea with the bank will work, prepare to be on chexsystems.
  • StankyPeachesMonroeStankyPeachesMonroe Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
  • edited March 2011
    DirtySanchez is right. All that will happen to you is your account will be closed for account abuse. Your info will be put into a system that other banks check and you will, basically, be blackballed from opening checking accounts.

This is actually a good point. Perhaps I'll leave the bank side of it then and just stick with papering my city with bad cheques for pricey things.