Mosin Nagant

metameta Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
Im interested in purchasing a Mosin Nagant, I was wondering which countries produced the best Mosin Nagants, how much would I be expected to pay for one, and where to find one. Thanks in advance totse!

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Go for a russian one. Its really a good gun for the price. Just make sure the serial numbers match on the barrel, butt plate, bolt, bottom of mag, and bayonet. I also like the caliber the Mosin uses.Ive actually been meaning to get one next gun show that comes around.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    A Russian one would be your best bet. Either the Russian one or the Hungarian model, the Hungarian model is pretty decent as well. :p
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited July 2010
    www.gunbroker.com 100 dollars and up depending on condition
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited July 2010
    I love these rifles
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited July 2010
    You shouldn't pay over $150. Hell finding them for $60-$80 isn't too hard to do if you buy from tag sales. I'd go with a Russian one and, like earlier stated, check that all the serial numbers match.
    Also work the bolt before you buy one, some of em have a tendency to stick really badly, and it can be a bitch to fix.
  • ilovechronicilovechronic Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    You shouldn't pay over $150. Hell finding them for $60-$80 isn't too hard to do if you buy from tag sales. I'd go with a Russian one and, like earlier stated, check that all the serial numbers match.
    Also work the bolt before you buy one, some of em have a tendency to stick really badly, and it can be a bitch to fix.

It doesn't matter if the numbers match really in the m44's case.
  • savages_vipersavages_viper Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    the russians chinese and the french polish and maybe others i dont remeber produced mosins the verey early ones were made in france the most common are the russians and the chinese are around too.

a mosin 91/30 should go for about 80-150 depending on condition and where you are a m38 carbine about 150 a m44 thats a m38 with the bayonett permanetly attached can be between 100-150.

the finish ones are the finest rifles with good triggers new barrels and diffrent sights and stocks expect to pay between 250-400 for a nice m39 m27 and m28 go for more as they are rarer rifles.

the chinese one is the type 53 is just a m44 i remember a importer in california was selling these for about 50 a peice in rusty condition needing to be cleaned up a few years ago if you dont mind some work this would fit the bill a nice one or a korean war bringback could go for a couple hundred.

i dont know much about polish rifles other than the m44 version's made in 1943 as a prototype are rare and worth a lot to some collectors if you find one on the cheap grab it
    edited July 2010
    I just got a Mosin Nagant 91/30 It's pretty baddass I like the caliber. Its also very solidly built you can see its durable as hell. Overall Id recommend one especially for the price.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got a Mosin Nagant 91/30 It's pretty baddass I like the caliber. Its also very solidly built you can see its durable as hell. Overall Id recommend one especially for the price.

Great rifles. I was going to get a 91/30 here locally last month, but the bore was SHIT. He said, "Oh it'll clean right up boy." Must have taken me for a sucker. I know when somethings trashed. The wood was great looking, but my god it as nearly a smooth bore :facepalm:. Last time I'll ever go there again.

I'm not real up on the Mosins, I cruise thehighroad, a lot but I can't remember is it the 91/30 or the M44 that you have to have the bayonet extended or it shoots off?
    edited July 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Great rifles. I was going to get a 91/30 here locally last month, but the bore was SHIT. He said, "Oh it'll clean right up boy." Must have taken me for a sucker. I know when somethings trashed. The wood was great looking, but my god it as nearly a smooth bore :facepalm:. Last time I'll ever go there again.

I'm not real up on the Mosins, I cruise thehighroad, a lot but I can't remember is it the 91/30 or the M44 that you have to have the bayonet extended or it shoots off?

Im geussing the M44 mine didnt come with a bayonet unfortunantly.
    edited July 2010
    Im geussing the M44 mine didnt come with a bayonet unfortunantly.

I think it was likely the Carbine aka M44. But then again, I've been mistake before.

I have fired the 91/30 and the Carbine. I prefer the 91/30, as it is still quite a push in the shoulder, it's nothing like the dirty snap the carbine has.

I thought shooting 150 12ga would make my shoulder sore, that damn carbine make my shoulder Ache. Then again, I have to shoot with the same shoulder I tore the rotator cuff in soccer(laugh pussy, I played American football too).

I prefer the Garand to the Mosin, mainly do to the sights, but the price difference is real. I got my grandfathers Garand for free, I need to get a Mosin. And I reallllly want a Mauser.

I will say though, the Mosins are great rifles. It's best to inspect one yourself to make sure of the bore. But damn. If they are tight, and have a good bore, you're good to go. The bolt can be a bit sticky. But grease(no oil) it up, and you're home free with something that can kill almost anything that moves.
  • edited September 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    It doesn't come off but M44s were zeroed with bayonet extended so the sights won't be zeroed without it extended.
    edited October 2010
    It doesn't come off but M44s were zeroed with bayonet extended so the sights won't be zeroed without it extended.

Poor typing on my part, I didn't mean that the bayonet literally shot off of the gun, although it would be mighty cool.

And you're right, that's what it was, they zeroed with the bayonet extended. Crazy Russians, still trying to fight WWI.
  • electric wizardelectric wizard Acolyte
    edited November 2010
    The Mosin-Nagant is a rifle which has been greatly underestimated, it provides an incredible amount of power and accuracy. Just remember that the 91-30 is suited for accuracy at longer ranges, but the m-44 can achieve the same accuracy if the bayonet is folded OUT. These rifles were balanced so that they fire most accurately with the bayonet out.

Also, if you purchase surplus (steel) ammunition, clean the barrel after every use, as this tends to cause corrosion over time.
    edited December 2010
    The Mosin-Nagant is a rifle which has been greatly underestimated, it provides an incredible amount of power and accuracy. Just remember that the 91-30 is suited for accuracy at longer ranges, but the m-44 can achieve the same accuracy if the bayonet is folded OUT. These rifles were balanced so that they fire most accurately with the bayonet out.

Also, if you purchase surplus (steel) ammunition, clean the barrel after every use, as this tends to cause corrosion over time.

The steel case isn't the problem. Russia still uses steel cases for their realativly new 5.45 round. However, the problem is the corrosive primers and powders. Which were much more aggressive in WWII and the Cold War. I don't think they use those primers and powders these days. I guess we'll find out in the new war.

EDIT: Just remembered. I think they still are using slightly corrosive primers, but not powders. I remember someone mentioning that about the 5.45 surplus you can buy from a lot of retailers.
  • Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited December 2010
    I just picked one up today, the Hex barrel, unissued, fucking beautiful condition, $115. GO FOR IT SON!
  • edited December 2010
    I just picked one up today, the Hex barrel, unissued, fucking beautiful condition, $115. GO FOR IT SON!

Hex... barrel?

do you mean...
    hex... receiver?
  • edited December 2010
    spazz wrote: »
    ^^ probably, but dont they make some handguns with slightly hexagonal barrels? I think they are more care free but less accurate. But i think he meant reciever

KcK51.gif
  • Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited December 2010
    Hex... barrel?

do you mean...
    hex... receiver?

Yesss, goddamnit you know what I meant :angry:
    edited January 2011
    KcK51.gif

That gif is fucking hillarious.
  • edited January 2011