The semi official knife thread

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited November 2010 in Man Cave
Discuss knives:mad::mad:

Swords broadswords hunting knives, cooking knives anything with a blade discuss. post pics of yours if you have them. What kinds do you love? What kind do you hate?

Comments

• jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited July 2010
    Im saving up for either a benchmade model 42 or a benchmade model 51 morpho. I love bali-songs.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Wasnt the model 42 discontinued? Ive heard good things about the 51
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2010
    I currently collect Butterfly Knifes (balisongs).

Here's what I have so far.
    Picture8.jpgPicture9.jpg
    I have another one somewhere...
    I have a few other knifes like my knock off Joker's Knife
    Picture10.jpg
    and this one my uncle gave to my mom, who then gave it to me.
    Picture11.jpg

P.S. We need a v bulletin hack that thumbnails images...
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited July 2010
    Dirty sanchez, no they still sell it on benchmade.com.
    paco I have a butterfly that looks really similar to the dark one in your first pic. Ive also got 2 buck knives, a 119 and possibly this one http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3674. Ive got some wall decoration katanas, and a decent full tang one. I have a weird looking scimitar esque sword. and a nice sized bowie knife. I also have this http://www.portkarmerchant.com/catalog/images/ta86.jpg and this http://www.amazon.com/General-Edge-Tiger-Fantasy-Dagger/dp/B001E4I7ZG. and a random assortment of others
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dirty sanchez, no they still sell it on benchmade.com.
    paco I have a butterfly that looks really similar to the dark one in your first pic. Ive also got 2 buck knives, a 119 and possibly this one http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3674. Ive got some wall decoration katanas, and a decent full tang one. I have a weird looking scimitar esque sword. and a nice sized bowie knife. I also have this http://www.portkarmerchant.com/catalog/images/ta86.jpg and this http://www.amazon.com/General-Edge-Tiger-Fantasy-Dagger/dp/B001E4I7ZG. and a random assortment of others

AwesomeI couldve sworn they discontinued. benchmade makes a quality knife. I used top have a high quality luftwaffe dagger and a butterfly until a house fire fucked them up. Now Ive got a katana and a bowie knife. Ill try to post pics later.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    IM pretty certain i heard the BM42 being discontinued. However, i do not think it will last. Its just a popular knife that it would seem stupid to just stop making them.

Ive got a few knives that i collected over the past few months. Generally, they are "budget" knives from still reputable knife companies: cold steel, kabar, CRKT, boker ( ok, i wouldnt call Boker "reputable", but whatever).

ive also made a few knives, including Balisongs. As you probably know, Balisongs are a no-no here in australia. Though the ones i make have steel handles and are kind of heavy. still flippable.
  • KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I would love to have the money to waste on a quality Kizlyar or a Eickhorn but atm I can't justify spending a couple hundred but if I see a cheap anza knife I'm going to buy it staight away; heard nothing but good things about them.
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got one of the limited run Spyderco FFG endura 4's, full flat grind cuts like a beaner on crack!
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I always carry a multi-tool with two blades.
    When out in "nature" I bring a Glock 78 Field knife and a Cold Steel Magnum Kukri Machete if needed.

glock%20knife.jpg97KMS.jpg

I also collect bladed weapons and own several swords and other knives. Most worth mentioning is my katana that I made from an old sabre. I made everything but the blade from raw materials.

DSC00225.jpgDSC00222.jpgDSC00229.jpg

I also enjoy making knives from scratch. Here is one I recently made for my wife:

DSC00203.jpgKnivGuldsmed.jpg

As to the whole discussion part, I think the best knife is the one that fits its purpose. No need to clean fingernails with a K-bar and no point in chopping down trees with a Swiss Army knife.
    edited July 2010
    ^^ i saw a dude split a narrow log in half with an SAK and another log
  • EbolaEbola Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    ^^ i saw a dude split a narrow log in half with an SAK and another log

I also cleaned my fingernails with a 8in knife, but that doesn´t make it the best tool for the job.
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited August 2010
    I think i have a new favorite EDC knife, even if i only just got it in the mail.

H&K 14100 fixed blade, designed by Mike Snody and made by Benchmade.

Random image from google:

hk14100.jpg

The previous owner seems to have used it as a prybar/screwdriver so the edge needs alittle work. Fortunately its 440C so should be easy to work, i would rather it was made from 1095 or some other high carbon steel tho. But i guess you cant have everything. For basic utillity work it should work just fine.

The handle really gives a nice grip, maybe a little too thin for my taste but it fits my hand perfectly. The handle scales are held on by a pair of torx screws so they should be replacable if someone would like to, or just remove them and wrap it in paracord should work good to.

The "jimping" at the base of the blade is alittle to rough i think, it gives great grip but will probably be painfull if used for longer times.
    The two "fingergrooves" on top of the blade is much better, they allow a very controled grip for finer work and you could even turn the blade sideways while griping the blade with the index and middle fingers in the grooves for a very controled grip while still having 2.5-3cm or so of the blade to work with.

The sheath is very good and will hold the knife securely even if inverted, but i dont like that the beltloop makes the knife hang so low.
    This is also a problem when drawing the knife, the sheath follows up a few centimeters before the belt stops it and the knife is released. This annoys me quite a bit as it makes my draw almost twice as long and makes my arm come to a weird angle when completing the draw.
    Fortunately the beltloop is easily removable by unscrewing a pair of torx screws wich leaves the sheath with oly the main plastic portion of sheath, wich have eyelets that could be used with paracord or even zipties to attach it to your belt or pack or anything at all for that matter.
    Will have to come up with some paracord loops, hopefully some good way to carry it horizontaly on the belt.
    With the beltloop removed the sheath can also easily be carried as a bootknife, or even mounted to a leg or arm with paracord or some other cordage if someone would want to be really "mallninja" about it.

If not for that it hangs so low the beltloop would be great, its made from some sort of rubber so it grips the belt really good and does not slide around, in fact it doesent seem to move at all sideways.

Anyway, i really recomend this knife from what i have seen of it. :thumbsup:
    Will have to give the blade a little work to remove the marks in the edge the previous owner left me with but i think it will come out good.

Come on now people, lets get some action in this part of the forum. :)
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    This is mine:
    61b0odr02wL.jpg
    61G9LpQXZTL.jpg
    61X97dAcVBL.jpg
    61y1%2BGQrMwL.jpg

Available here: http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Leek-Knife-G10-Handle/dp/B001CDJAJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1281633707&sr=8-1

$70, has an S30V blade, g-10 handle, made in the USA by Kershaw. I like the design, the handle, and the steel. It has the SpeedSafe assisted open feature, so it opens really fast when you push down on the flipper thing on the back. I like not having to use a thumb stud; it's a safer way of opening the knife. It feels good in the hand, and it's a nice cutting tool.

Youtube vids:

• RolfRolf Regular
    edited August 2010
    Rolf likes Swords, has only eight of them, European swords, by the way, for Sir Rolf is a man and has manly swords, not feminine Japanese toothpicks. Sir Rolf is yet to buy knives though Rolf did inherit an F-S Fighting Knife, which is not really a knife, it never leaves the case it came in... maybe Rolf should buy a modern replica. Do machetes count? Rolf has a Rolfheim issue military machete.
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited August 2010
    New knife!

Hoffman Harpoon XL made by TOPS

5794.jpg

Made from a 1/4" piece of 1095, 3 1/4" blade.

Comes with a Lansky sharpener and a magnesium/feroceum rod firesteel and a P-38 can opener.
    The sheath holds the knife very secure, but im guessing it will start to wear quickly.

The long handle and blade heavy balance makes it great for chopping, almost like a very small hatchet, i have not tried it out very much yet but it cuts smaller trees just fine.
    Will probably split wood very good too with its thick spine and wedge shape.

Looks like a good quality little knife with alot of use for such a small blade.
  • edited September 2010
    My EDC knife:
    Dalton Black Flash
    Legally an assisted opener, the thing that looks like a thumb stud is actually a button. Push it in and the blade swings out same as an automatic

lbBW8.jpg
    1p67k.jpg
    (b) The term ''switchblade knife'' means any knife having a blade which opens automatically -
    (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife,
    :p:p:p:p:p:p
  • electric wizardelectric wizard Acolyte
    edited November 2010
    Rolf wrote: »
    Rolf likes Swords, has only eight of them, European swords, by the way, for Sir Rolf is a man and has manly swords, not feminine Japanese toothpicks.

I like this! I have a few handmade longswords. They cannot be broken and the blades dont roll over. A few Buck and Benchmade blades as well. The 119 is worth mention, because of its availability.

ZOMG JAPAN AND ANIME!!! SO KAWAII! Trends!

A longsword in the hands of a capable man will cut down man or tree.
    And a Viking or Knight would devastate dozens of men who would rather sneak into your house and kill you in your sleep (ninjas)
    edited November 2010
    both cultures made swords of similar length and weight
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm looking for a sleek, modern, long yet compact knife almost to the length of a short sword. Any recommendations?

This is going in the right direction, but looks a little cheap and nasty.

31NdMMFxE3L._SS400_.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    I tend to lean towards Spyderco knives.

MY daily carry is usually a black on black Paramilitary. I love the full flat grind, I love the way it looks, I love the jimping, I love how it is proportioned, I love its sharp blade and point and I love its light weight.

Aside from that, I own a Delica wave, a Spyderfly balisong and an Emerson CQC7BW with a black finish on the blade.

The wave (A notch on top of the blade which catches on the pocket when it is drawn, causing the blade to open and lock before you're finished pulling it out) on the Delica and Emerson is an extremely useful feature. I can't think of any other way to deploy a folding knife any faster.

And recently I ordered a Spyderco Bob Lum Chinese with titanium handles. I now think that I should have gone with G10 handles, but I got suckered in by the low price. A Japanese-made Spyderco with titanium handles (On a sprint-run, no less) has no business being $120.

EDIT: Got the Lum. Very satisfied. Shorter than I expected, but only because they seemed to have tried to make the handle as small as possible. The blade is a healthy length, very wide and frighteningly sharp. I almost wish I had gotten the one with the black blade and G-10 handles instead. This one is nearly too nice to use.
  • edited November 2010
    You may be a liberal faggot, but you have good taste in knives.