Modern extinctions

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited March 2011 in Life
We humans have been responsible for more extinctions than any other species. Here are just a few.
The passenger pigeon once numbered i the billions and flew in flocks hundreds of miles long. After the Europeans came to America they were hunted to extinction in 300 years, sold as slave meat.

Passengerpigeon.jpg
The dodo was fearless of humans and flightless. This led to it's extinction in 1681.

Dronte_17th_Century.jpg
The bali tiger was the smallest of all the tigers, until they were hunted to extinction in 1937.

737px-Panthera_tigris_balica%2C_old_male.jpg
The elephant bird was hunted to extinction in the 17th century, mainly because it was slow, huge, flightless and tasty.

232px-Aepyornis_maximus_01_L.D..jpg220px-Elephant_Bird_Egg.JPG
The golden toad was last seen in 1989. Deforestation killed it off.

800px-Bufo_periglenes1.jpg
The thylacine went extinct in 1932 due to unregulated hunting and trapping.

Thylacinus.jpg
The quagga went extinct in 1883.

Quagga_photo.jpg
The blue anole is critically endangered, and will likely go extinct soon.

119px-Anolis_gorgonae.JPG

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited November 2010
    This just shows how the human is obviously better than these inferior species who go extinct. If there so important than why dont they instinct us?:o:o
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't forget the Carolina Parakeet. Blue anole is awesome. Surprised they haven't tried captive breeding.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited November 2010
    Humans. We fuck shit up.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
    Hellish wrote: »
    Don't forget the Carolina Parakeet. Blue anole is awesome. Surprised they haven't tried captive breeding.

I know right? I don't live where they do, but if I did I would certainly breed them, provided I could find them.
  • edited November 2010
    I know right? I don't live where they do, but if I did I would certainly breed them, provided I could find them.

Keep in mind this is a different species, but I assume a similar role applies to the blue anole. Source.
    A. Relatively few keepers succeed in breeding green anoles (Anolis carolinensis) into a second generation. Green anoles aren’t hard to mate, and females lay fertile eggs, but the babies can be very difficult to keep alive until old enough to take care of themselves.

On that note, I recently learned Georgia has one of the highest concentrations of salamanders and newts in the US. Seriously, there is so much rare and amazing shit around all of us it's uncanny.

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/salamanders/index.htm
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited December 2010
    Looking for more examples of human caused extinctions I found this article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_Human_Extinction_Movement

Pretty interesting, lol.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    The thylacine, and all marsupials are facinating.

Think of a completly different lineage of animal, their only common ansestors with mamals being 125 million years old.

With the thylacine, how it developed to be so much like a dog, because dogs were absent from its environment there was a neich for it to enter and as it did, it became a marsupial dog.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited January 2011
    Thylacine sightings aren't uncommon. It's very possible that they've survived since being declared extinct.

• The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, there's been thylacine sightings in the thousands since their extinction. I'd love to think that they're still alive. Tasmania's dense forests would mean to need to come anywhere near man, which they may have learnt to fear. As far as I'm concerned, they're completely extinct from mainland Australia though.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited March 2011
    Cougar.jpg

The eastern cougar or mountain lion was declared extinct Thursday. Source
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited March 2011
    Considering a friend just saw one not too far from here... I'm going to say that's BS.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    Considering a friend just saw one not too far from here... I'm going to say that's BS.

Last March there were several mountain lion sightings in a town near me. I'm also calling bs.