Passive Income (Examples Included)

majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
edited January 2011 in Life
I've been doing a lot of reading for the past year about passive income and I'm wondering information you guys would like to share.

Of course, there's returns from stocks and bonds, and interest earned from cds and savings accounts. I've been reading a lot about people becoming lenders for peer to peer lending companies like prosper.com and lendingclub.com, making over 10% interest on their money. Writing articles for sites like AC and creating content hubs are also ways to make passive income, making money from advertisements displayed in your articles. Anyone else have any ideas for good investments?

Comments

• pookapooka New Arrival
    edited December 2010
    Buy a house and rent it out.
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    Renting houses is a terrible idea. There's a lot of upkeep to them that keeps your profit margin low.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited December 2010
    pooka wrote: »
    Buy a house and rent it out.

i'd stronggggly advise against this
  • pookapooka New Arrival
    edited December 2010
    majeurevis wrote: »
    Renting houses is a terrible idea. There's a lot of upkeep to them that keeps your profit margin low.

If you're that lazy, you can just hire a property management company to do all the work for you. Also, the profit margin is more dependent on how much you paid for the house and the rent than how much you spend on maintenance.
    stres wrote: »
    i'd stronggggly advise against this

Care to explain why?
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    In 2008 I bought a house in partnership with my brother. We have an agent that collects the money and makes sure the occupier is happy.

They do everything including screening suitable applicants, all the legal paperwork, and conduct regular inspections. If any work needs to be done, they have a directory of workman that you can choose from.

Not a great way to make money, but I suppose it's good at convincing a bank about credit? It also opens up a bunch of tax loopholes, at least here, and considering you know what you can do.

My bank also offers a 'net bank saver' type account that calculates interest daily and pays it monthly, I put say 90% of my money in there. It currently earns 4.75%, it's better than nothing. I've had it since September 2010 and it's earned me $20 in interest since then, the most it's had in there is $3300, but there has been times when there hasn't been a cent in there. Best thing is now that $20 it earned me is doing work for me.

I have an idea for generating money via a website but I haven't gotten around to that one yet.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    The first problem is finding the initial capital. The second problem is trying not to waste it on hookers and drink.
  • edited January 2011
    Step 1; Set up grow house.
    Step 2; Find share cropper to operate it for you.
    Step 3; Repeat
    Step 4; Profit!

Two houses using 8 lights each will yield 16-20 lb every 3 months in the hands of a decent grower. Rent and expenses will eat up about 3-5 lbs depending on how much you can sell it for. Your cropper will take 60% of the rest, leaving you with a passive income of about 8lbs every 3 months. Hopefully you can get at least $2200 a lb for it, so about $17000 every three months is not unreasonable. Downside: it's illegal, and someone will eventually get busted, not you of course, but someone, and eventually someone will get ripped off, not you hopefully. Also, healthy amounts of easy money have a way of turning even reasonable nice people into asshole cokeheads, trust me, I know.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    Depending on quality and location, you can get upwards of $4000/lb.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a method of passive income, however i feel that some people may not appreciate it.
    edited January 2011
    If anyone shows interest..i'll make a new topic about some serious passive income because i don't want to waste my time.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    If anyone shows interest..i'll make a new topic about some serious passive income because i don't want to waste my time.

I'm interested.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011

Why would you need a new thread and why would it be wasting your time to simply post the information here?
    edited January 2011
    Because there is a lot to cover in terms of how to make money(6 ways), the products(listing some top sellers), and the credentials
    edited January 2011
    Because there is a lot to cover in terms of how to make money(6 ways), the products(listing some top sellers), and the credentials

How does that constitute a waste of time if posted ITT vs a new thread? It is still the same amount of typing. Your logic, thus far, simply does not fly.
    edited January 2011
    Because i don't want to post a serious passive income method only to get TL,DR's
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Please refrain from derailing the thread.

Lethargica, post it in a new thread. I'm sure you'll get constructive replies.
    edited January 2011
    Why would you be more likely to get that ITT vs a new thread provided the content was identical? At this point I am begining to suspect you have nothing to contribute.
  • edited January 2011
    ya'll mothafuckas out of luck. Most a pound of ANYTHING goes for around here is 1.5

True, I can get good shit here for $1200, but ya just need one young dumb fuck willing to take a bus ride to some weed starved piece of the earth.(no border crossing, thats for people who dig high risk, high pay.) But whatever, the "hands off" grow, is a moneymaker even if you go down to $1200, you just need to set up more houses. Four buried steel shipping containers on a remote property, run of diesel gens' can house 6 lights each, you gotta grease the fuel guy hard, but it's worth it.

C/O
    "Craigs road"
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    Why get caught?

Guerrilla garden on state land :D
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved the diesel powered bunkers idea, but who the fuck can afford to do that shit honestly?

The cheapest and easiest way to grow a lot of weed in a short amount of time is outdoor guerilla gardening. Or if you want purchase some hybrid lowryder seeds (the original is just a ruderalis) online and grow several of those on your windowsill. They'll only yield an ounce or less per plant, but you could have several of them at a time, and they AUTOFLOWER.
  • i<3Shroomsi<3Shrooms Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    I loled.

Still would like to see that thread though, always looking for new ideas! :hai:
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    well i was making 2 grand every 2 weeks selling pills.
    edited January 2011
    I've been meaning to add more to this thread, but I haven't had much time. I have commented on another thread, and I'd like to share the information I posted there here:

http://www.totse.info/bbs/showpost.php?p=122127&postcount=10
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited January 2011
    majeurivis, how much experience do you have with this P2P lending? anyone else have experience with it? I'm very interested.
    edited January 2011
    Check out kiva.org and I think lendingtree.com does it too. Just google p2p reviews and you'll find sites that compare different lending sites' rates and whatnot.