Death

ObbeObbe Regular
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
How do you want to die? Does death even matter to you? And what do you think will happen after?

Comments

• TransienceTransience Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    I don't want to die. Hopefully they cure aging or invent mind uploading in my lifetime, if not I'm gonna sign up for cryonics.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    Hopefully in a way that I don't see it coming or at least die instantly like getting shot in the head or something. Burning to death would be the worst way imo.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited December 2010
    Transience wrote: »
    I don't want to die. Hopefully they cure aging or invent mind uploading in my lifetime, if not I'm gonna sign up for cryonics.

They probably won't.

So why don't you want to die? Don't you want to end, eventually?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    Obbe wrote: »
    They probably won't.

This. Immortality sounds cool at first until you realize that everyone you know or love is going to die and if you lived forever this process would repeat over and over. I think you would be tired of life after a while. I always imagined my death being caused by the bullets of federal agents one day.
  • TransienceTransience Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    They probably won't.

I would rather exist than not exist. And I've already spent billions of years not existing.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited December 2010
    Maybe the common fear of dying and no longer existing, is the symptom of something else all together.

When "I" die, what is it that dies? Where does "I" begin and end?

It's sort of arbitrary, isn't it? Sort of fuzzy. There's no clear boundaries.

I mean, why should I only identify with my lungs, and not the air I breath. Or my stomach, and not the food I fill it with, or the world that grows that food, or the universe that world exists in? Am I not all these things and more?

Maybe death isn't an end, and maybe life isn't a beginning. Maybe it's just a cycle that I've been going through, "I" being the entire activity of everything.

Maybe you have already existed for billions of years, and what you perceive as the beginning is merely a limitation on your perspective. Maybe we are all one being, who is perceiving itself though countless perspectives like this.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited December 2010
    I don't fear death. No one does.

Everyone fears that "undiscovered country." The afterlife and what it would be like. It's what keeps hundreds of thousands alive.

Hopefully there's some sort of reincarnation. I would be horrified burning for eternity in hell.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think there are any real separations between you, me, the sky, the sun, God, and the entire activity of everything. There is no meaning except that which we impose. All those "things" are really meaningless.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2010
    I don't know how i want to die. I know and accept that i will eventually die.
    What happens when i die is not important to me. I'll get what i deserve as a conscientious person.

I fear not making a mark in the world before i go.

Fear is the wrong world, I'm more saddened.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited December 2010
    This is a dream. You can dissolve your boundaries and move them around, but if you don't hold onto something, you will dissolve away and there will be no you.
  • edited December 2010
    How pissed would you be if your whole life was some kind of dream or a trip, and when you die, you wake up like it was just a strange dream and carry on with your day in a completely different world.
  • Turd_SmasherTurd_Smasher Regular
    edited December 2010
    I want to die in a creative artsy way, like having the mythbusters drop a 500lb fat woman in a spiderman outfit from a crane on top of me.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't know when I'll die. Nobody does.

When I die, I'll probably get buried some place and decompose or get burned to a crisp. Anything could happen, though. I could get eaten by bears and never found or some shit.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited December 2010
    I've also accepted the fact that I will eventually die.. it's not that I don't want to die I'm just afraid to die.

I really don't want to drown or suffocate in any way.
    or burn.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited December 2010
    I want someone to decapitate me, and show my head my body.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited December 2010
    Suicide via t-shirt cannon.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited December 2010
    hey, if you guys haven't seen waking life yet ... well, there's the link right there. Check it out.
  • edited December 2010
    I had a nasty "death vision" a while ago that rattled me a little bit, very clear, and it took me a while to erase it from my day to day conscious process. How would I like to die? When I was young I would have said quickly, and unexpectedly. But with time I have realized that death is a part of life, the last part, but still a part. I would like to experience it as much as I could, people making their last visits, famous last words and all that. Death might be the end, it might not.
    C/O
    "should I die before I wake, smoke my weed, get really baked"
  • edited December 2010
    I don't want to die right now, I think I'll be happy with it when I'm about 100 years old, or something.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    I would rather exist than not exist. And I've already spent billions of years not existing.

This.

Unless I've always been here and always have.

Yeah, I'd live forever.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited December 2010
    Have any of you ever been to the land of the dead, or met anyone who is there?

I met someone from there once, well, someone.

When I was younger we had to put down the family cats because they got too old. That night I had the most vivid dream I have ever had in my entire life. And all that happened, was I heard meowing, and I got out of bed (in my dream) and walked to the room where the litter box had been. And when I was in the room I had a vision of my cats crawling up this long, small underground tunnel, from somewhere down below. And then suddenly there was this hole in the wall, and my cats came out of it. And they just looked at me and meowed and stuff, and they looked ... different. They looked dead. But like, the undead. Anyways, despite these creepy vibes, I was also swept up by this feeling that my cats were ok. I had been feeling pretty low since putting them down, but this alleviated me.

Anyways, that's where my memory fades. But I still remember this dream from years ago, it's the most vivid, "real" feeling dream I have ever had, and when I actually woke up after it I got out of bed and went to the room and made sure there was no hole in the wall. It felt that real.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited December 2010
    Diving infront of a bullet.

I don't know if anyone has said that in a previous post, but I cba to read your shit cause I don't like any of you.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited December 2010
    I'd rather die quickly than slowly like with a disease. I'd rather not have to see my loved ones in tears as they say their goodbyes. I hope this happens when I'm much much older. Honestly I'd like to "finish last" out of all the people I know. I can't prove there is anything else afterward so I'd like to live as long as I can until the hopefully abrupt end.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm actually scared of the pain rather than the actual death. And I would love to die sacrificing my life for someone I love.
  • edited December 2010

Sure you'd rather exist, but if you didn't, it's not as if you'd know.
  • SpeedbagsSpeedbags Regular
    edited March 2011
    Would you guys rather be in an event that wiped out everyone on earth or die solo by some other action? Also would you prefer to have notice or just have it happen out of the blue?
  • edited March 2011
    Speedbags wrote: »
    Would you guys rather be in an event that wiped out everyone on earth or die solo by some other action? Also would you prefer to have notice or just have it happen out of the blue?

I'd rather die by myself, rather than my girlfriend and all my buddies being dead too. Wishing for that is just a little selfish, IMO :D
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    Rifle to my forehead.

;)
  • edited April 2011
    This is a dream. You can dissolve your boundaries and move them around, but if you don't hold onto something, you will dissolve away and there will be no you.

Well, Neo, when you can bend the Matrix to your will I'll listen, but in the meantime I'll stick to thinking you're mentally ill.
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to jump through a black hole
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited April 2011
    You beat the reaper by living well.
  • ak-49ak-49 New Arrival
    edited April 2011
    I'm not too concerned with how I die, as long as it's as painless as possible.
    If there is an afterlife I don't really believe that faith would have to do with if you got into heaven or not. I believe that people would be judged on their actions rather than which version of God(s) they decided to follow. If there is a hell I think that it would be more like a prison where you serve a certain term until your sins, for lack of a better term, would be washed away.
    If there is no afterlife but there is reincarnation, I hope that our souls would not be limited to this planet since eventually Earth will be completly destroyed. It would be nice if our souls or consciousness were carried over to other planets.
    If there is nothing after death... then bummer, but what are ya gonna do?
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited June 2011
    been awhile...
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited June 2011
    i just died alittle seeing u post again :mad:
  • drugdocdrugdoc Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    Sure you'd rather exist, but if you didn't, it's not as if you'd know.

Reminds me of Mark Twain's quote: "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

When we are dead, we will cease to exist in the same way we never existed before we were born. There is no rational reason to expect anything different. A belief in an afterlife may be comforting to some, but that doesn't change the fact that there is absolutely no evidence to suggest one exists.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    With a loved one, fucked up on DMT or Mushrooms after achieving life goals that I've yet to even think of.
    That said, at the age of 19 (yada yada) I was told I would be dead at the age of 30. Living for a whole year and a bit more thinking that you would be dead in 10 years is a scary, but in my mind, comforting experience. Really put my mind to rest and I accepted, then lived a peaceful life. It was also quite odd as I, from the age of 15, had wanted to blow my brains out on my 30th birthday. As soon as the clock struck midnight I wanted to pull the trigger and go out. I still have to remember then think about it now. I will judge it when the time comes. I grew up round illegal firearms, and maybe should go out with one. That said, having a girl who I love dearly in my life has really made me reconsider.
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    I think we all definitely live on, and its easily provable. Imagine how different things would change if science would discover that are souls are immortal. we've lived forever and have always existed... from the beginning, you will never not exist.

I think if scientist would get of there lazy asses and prove this...... there would be lots of changes in this world. everyone is afraid of death, and the funny part is your immortal.

you have existed from the beginning and will never, ever..... not exist.

to many people worry about this subject and there is nothing to worry about.

and btw, hahahahahah I love the creative post about death on totse :D
  • edited July 2011
    Lordbucket wrote: »
    I think we all definitely live on, and its easily provable. Imagine how different things would change if science would discover that are souls are immortal. we've lived forever and have always existed... from the beginning, you will never not exist.

I think if scientist would get of there lazy asses and prove this...... there would be lots of changes in this world. everyone is afraid of death, and the funny part is your immortal.

you have existed from the beginning and will never, ever..... not exist.

to many people worry about this subject and there is nothing to worry about.

and btw, hahahahahah I love the creative post about death on totse :D

Alrighty, I'll bite on this one. You claim that a consciousness can transcend death, and it is easily provable. I disagree, I believe that consciousness ends with the cessation of brain activity, without brain activity there is nothing but meat. There is the concept of a soul, but what provides that soul with the ability to be self aware? In your opinion, can a soul think?, does it have the ability to change like a living mind?, is it immortal?, is it bestowed by God or is it inherent to the nature of all self aware organisms?, does a soul eventually die?

No, of course I cannot prove that there is no soul, or afterlife, but you cannot prove that I do not have an invisible, intangible dragon that talks only to me telepathically sitting beside me either. That is why the burden of proof is on the person making the argument for the existence of something, not the other way around. It is easy to say something like "we are all eternal beings", then ask someone to prove you wrong (I know you didn't do this directly), because it is very hard to disprove metaphysical concepts like souls, chi energy, or auras.

If it helps you sleep at night to think you are immortal in some way, and maybe some day your consciousness will free itself if earthly constraints and transcend the limits of time and space, then that's great, whatever gets you through the day. If you want to know what I think being dead is like, turn off your computer, then pretend that's you, the animating force is gone, it didn't go anywhere, it's just gone. We are physical systems, wonderful, intricate, and beautiful in our way, but I believe we are no more than the sum of our parts, and that perspective has a whole lot more evidence behind it than other ways of thinking.

C/O
    "I hope someone takes me on, I haven't had a good argument since Sanchez left"
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited August 2011
    First off, read this with someone in mind whose been indubitably "dead" for 100 years. I don't want to get in to the technicalities of when exactly that "death" starts.

Life, and therefore brain activity and therefore consciousness is a result of, in basic terms, an extremely complex chemical reaction. When dead your brainwaves cease. Your conscious ceases. You are not aware of anything, nor have you any means to be. Ergo, if there is "life" at this stage or not is irrelevant. I know the argument of an afterlife deals more with a conventional definition of death rather than a philosophical or technical reason, but it's 1:30 in the morning and fuck you.
    But with time I have realized that death is a part of life, the last part, but still a part. I would like to experience it as much as I could, people making their last visits, famous last words and all that.
    Agreed. Well, not entirely. Death isn't a part of life, it's the cessation of life. But I digress, the moments before death are very much a part of life.

EDIT: Jesus Christ CO how did you do that? You basically said what I was going to say two times in a row. Before I thought of putting that hundred year pretense I was going to start with "I believe that consciousness ends with the cessation of brain activity.." word for word except with "ending" instead of "cessation" and "ceases" instead of "ends". That's just eery.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited August 2011

may be it sorta has ...after death you wanna continue to live? cloning although human cloning hasn't been tested ,maybe in secrecy it has , you clone yourself , then you have to make yourself read a book or make a video of what has happened in your lifetime tell "it" to follow this and that way of thinking ... program the brain if it hasn't been programed during the cloning process. i guess you can take some memory cells and inject them into the cloned brain along w. help of stem cells . maybe transfer through brain waves ... Idk. hell you can even try and transfer your brain into the cloned body but it has to be fast ... limit the amount of killed brain cells , then use help from stem cells to replace some dead cells .
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited August 2011
    If I had the choice?
    Something quick and quiet while laying in the air ducts of...i dunno. The NYSE, the white house, etc. something packed with people.
    If there's no afterlife, I will technically haunt people for a few weeks by filling the place with the smell of rotting flesh.
    If there is, and it's a heaven/hell, i will feel no pain of eternal torment.
    Why?
    There are a handful of people who'll be burning with me.
    I might not see it, but it'll be just as good as heaven to me.
  • edited August 2011
    MarineBoat wrote: »

EDIT: Jesus Christ CO how did you do that? You basically said what I was going to say two times in a row. Before I thought of putting that hundred year pretense I was going to start with "I believe that consciousness ends with the cessation of brain activity.." word for word except with "ending" instead of "cessation" and "ceases" instead of "ends". That's just eery.

Great minds think alike, fools seldom differ, pretty much a toss up.

As for the idea of cryonics, it would be useless without some way to record the quantum state and energy potential of the brain before death. A person can be dead for quite a while without any information being lost, but information in the brain is stored chemically, and that would not survive the freezing process. You would have to map every quantum energy state in a living brain, then restore the brain to that state once you thawed it to get anything like the mind that existed before death. This assumes the obvious problems like physical damage due to ice crystals has been dealt with.

I do think we will eventually be able to download a human consciousness to a computer. There is a massive amount of information, and the ways in which it is referenced and accessed is almost as important as the information itself. It would require a massive number of fine nanoprobes throughout the brain and body to measure everything from hormonal activity to neural function. A full rendering of a human mind would have to have the capability to make mistakes, get drunk, and knock up his E girl. The full range of human capability and flaws would have to be possible, and the environment into which such a mind was placed would have to be equally detailed. Without a full simulation it would just be a program, even with a full simulation it would be still be debatable as to whether "life" had continued. Given the chance I would do it, even if significant anal probing was required by the aliens offering the service, the grey ones have nice slender fingers, no problem.

C/O
    "do you want to live forever?"

As for you LordBucket, as you did not ring in to support your views, I must assume you are a cockless hermaphrodite transient who posted watery drivel, unless......
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited August 2011
    the other day i was fucking wasted there sitting at my dinner table with a loaded .45 and the thought of taking my life

flashed. I thought about which way i wanted to shoot myself. how i wanted to be positioned when my lifeless

body lumped over. I attempted to write a note but was to drunk to do so. I then loaded the gun looked and

put it down. Soon i face death, I dont want it to be the cowards way out!

Sincerely,

BHD
  • edited August 2011
    the other day i was fucking wasted there sitting at my dinner table with a loaded .45 and the thought of taking my life

flashed. I thought about which way i wanted to shoot myself. how i wanted to be positioned when my lifeless

body lumped over. I attempted to write a note but was to drunk to do so. I then loaded the gun looked and

put it down. Soon i face death, I dont want it to be the cowards way out!

Sincerely,

BHD

In some places they bury suicides at crossroads, so those who had the strength to go on walk over them every day. Ride the ride, no sense getting off until it stops.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    It is OK for me. Sometimes, those who I have known have visted me on the day of death to show they are OK, others have visited years later. I have seen these thngs before my very eyes, and it makes the passage of life so much easier - maybe knowing that others are watching out for you, maybe knowing that this is only the beginning of the adventure. Freaked me out to see things but when others had seen them too, it makes you very calm about all kinds of things.

A calm life is good, hope when I am gone from here I can take a few lessons with me.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2011
    How do you want to die? Does death even matter to you?
    Being biten by "The girls of FHM" in zombie form. Fuck Ya! Way to go!
    And what do you think will happen after?
    Zombie pimp those bishes like a true MF zombie boSS.
  • edited August 2011
    If I did have some kind of an afterlife, I would hope for something that would give me the option of hanging around a bit before I moved on, or at least extend some tendril of influence to the physical plane. I would like to look after those I left behind, and help out the cooks. In fact spending a few hundred years as a guardian spirit for my culinary brethren as they sweat their way through a hard life would be a good way to pay the world back for all the times I lucked out and saw another sunrise when the odds were against me.

Time is also an interesting aspect of a possible afterlife. Once removed from a physical form, would a consciousness experience time in the same way as a physical being? That is to say, would cause precede effect? I don't think so, spending eternity locked into the same causality cycle would be as bad as sipping lemonade in a endless summer filled with Mormons.

C/O
    "I like this thread, please argue with me...."
  • edited August 2011
    How I die is not necessarily of importance to me. I actually look forward to my death. Obviously, I'm not trying to expedite my death.. But It's something that I look forward to. I believe in a higher power, being God (Christian God), and I believe that after I die, I will be with my God forever.