If people found out the Bible is a lie.

BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Will anarchy happen?

Besides Islam, Christianity is another huge religion in the world and 'some Christians' seem to believe in God because of not going to hell. I think if 'those Christians' found out if the Bible is fake, then it will cause a whole bunch of turmoil.

We need the Bible. It's a great set of instructions to live life, regardless of what religion we are, it teaches us decency and good morals. Religion in general has helped us throughout our existence and even though that Christianity is impeding us to progress with science, it gave us the initiative to start developing society.

Comments

• fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010

We need the Bible. It's a great set of instructions to live life, regardless of what religion we are, it teaches us decency and good morals. Religion in general has helped us throughout our existence and even though that Christianity is impeding us to progress with science, it gave us the initiative to start developing society.

No. It's not great instructions. It does not teach morals. It teaches violence, ignorance, hypocrisy, prejudice and is horrible. Religion impedes science and progress. It always has.
  • edited October 2010
    Atheism is the new Christianity, and it is spreading. As people slowly wake up from a religious coma and realize not just the bible, but all religion is a load of donkey bollocks, a revelation of sorts will ensue. We will realize that proper behavior and compassion for those around us is possible without the candy and whips of religion.
    C/O
    "goddammit I hate religion"
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    We need the Bible to cause groups of people to provide lulz and butthurt.
  • BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
    edited October 2010
    The Bible may link to violence, ignorance, hypocrisy and prejudice, but it was written by man though. Just the Bible's existence alone causes a lot of controversy throughout the world.
  • edited October 2010
    There's a reason that religion as we know it exists today. It doesn't matter what people see or hear that flies in the face of their faith. Most of them will keep it because it has been theirs since they were children and it has become a part of them or their life.
    edited October 2010
    The Bible may link to violence, ignorance, hypocrisy and prejudice, but it was written by man though. Just the Bible's existence alone causes a lot of controversy throughout the world.

It doesn't cause controversy. It causes people to get enraged and kill each other. Obviously it was written by men over the course of centuries, and then it was debated which books would be canon and which wouldn't. Hopefully more people will wake up and stop believe in fairytales.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    If religion was proven to be a lie than all morals would go out the window. There is no such thing as morality without a moral foundation such as religion. I mean what would stop a person from rape, theft, murder etc if there was no longer a fear or consequences in the afterlife?
    edited October 2010
    If religion was proven to be a lie than all morals would go out the window. There is no such thing as morality without a moral foundation such as religion. I mean what would stop a person from rape, theft, murder etc if there was no longer a fear or consequences in the afterlife?

Fear or consequences in THIS life.
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Fear or consequences in THIS life.

Yeah but there wouldn't be any if you didn't get caught plus suicide is always an option if you did get caught because it wouldn't matter since theres no hell. And what about other fears that arent punished in this life? Dog fucking, gayness being black, lying stuff like that? Imo religion is necessary even if it wasn't real.
    edited October 2010
    You hear more about religious fanatics bombing the shit out of places than atheists doing so.
  • edited October 2010

Such a fuckin' troll.

The morals reflected in religion are the morals held by the individuals who founded it.
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    You hear more about religious fanatics bombing the shit out of places than atheists doing so.

Communists were atheist. Is 100 million dead not a problem? Timothy McVeigh was an atheist despite some who try to say he was Christian.
    edited October 2010
    Communists were atheist. Is 100 million dead not a problem? Timothy McVeigh was an atheist despite some who try to say he was Christian.

The communists didn't kill people in the name of atheism :facepalm:
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    The communists didn't kill people in the name of atheism :facepalm:

They did partially. They killed people for being religious as well as other reasons.
    edited October 2010
    They did partially. They killed people for being religious as well as other reasons.

That's more of the communist ideals, not what religion or lack of tells them to do. The thing is religion can be a moral guide, but it is not necessary for morality.
    edited October 2010
    The weren't following some atheist belief system when killing people, as christians and muslims do. They were doing it for political reasons, not religious ones. You saying "they killed people because they were religious" is hilarious because that's what religions do and have done throughout all of history: kill anyone who isn't part of your religion and then justify it by saying they were heathens/pagans/witches/infidels.
    edited October 2010
    The weren't following some atheist belief system when killing people, as christians and muslims do. They were doing it for political reasons, not religious ones. You saying "they killed people because they were religious" is hilarious because that's what religions do and have done throughout all of history: kill anyone who isn't part of your religion and then justify it by saying they were heathens/pagans/witches/infidels.

The problem with this statement is that Christians aren't the ones murdering people these days. We've advanced past the dark ages where as the Muslim's and Jew's still desire to kill off anyone who isn't like them. Jew's and Muslims are the problem none of the other religions bother me.
  • edited October 2010

My morals are an artifact of my own creation. I don't steal because I know what it is like to be stolen from. I would not commit rape or murder not just because of the legal consequences, but because I have no interest in committing rape or murder. I am courteous and respectful to those around me because acting this way usually gets me what I want quicker than acting like a jerk.

The only argument I hate worse than this one is that without a religious reason, doing anything good is pointless. Bullshit. I help people because that is what I believe to be the correct course of action, because it re-enforces my self respect by showing those around me I am a good person, because helping little old ladies off the bus makes me happy.

The idea that without religion we would degrade into a society of selfish, brutal anarchists is a pantload. All religion does is allow pedophile priests, fundamentalist hate groups, self serving jews, and radical islamics to hide behind the curtains and manipulate the weak minded to their own ends.

C/O
    "see you in hell"
    edited October 2010
    My morals are an artifact of my own creation. I don't steal because I know what it is like to be stolen from. I would not commit rape or murder not just because of the legal consequences, but because I have no interest in committing rape or murder. I am courteous and respectful to those around me because acting this way usually gets me what I want quicker than acting like a jerk.

The only argument I hate worse than this one is that without a religious reason, doing anything good is pointless. Bullshit. I help people because that is what I believe to be the correct course of action, because it re-enforces my self respect by showing those around me I am a good person, because helping little old ladies off the bus makes me happy.

The idea that without religion we would degrade into a society of selfish, brutal anarchists is a pantload. All religion does is allow pedophile priests, fundamentalist hate groups, self serving jews, and radical islamics to hide behind the curtains and manipulate the weak minded to their own ends.

C/O
    "see you in hell"

Well what are your morals based on? Why not only look out after yourself if there is no moral consequence to your actions? That may work for some but most people I think would turn into murderous psychopaths the second religion were to disappear. Karl Marx was right when he said religion is the opiate of the masses in the sense that it's what keeps the vast majority from downgrading to the level of primates. I know I would be out fucking kids and killing if it weren't for the morals religion provides and I'm not sure most people are all that different.
    edited October 2010
    You're misinterpreting stuff again.
    Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.

Marx is saying that religion provides an illusion to step away from reality. It gives people who require an illusion to explain everything a reason to live.

Religion provides morality to some people, but not to others. I don't do certain things for two reasons. For social reasons, I don't want to go to jail, or I don't want to be humiliated. These are the consequences of those actions that I want to avoid. The second reason is reciprocation. I don't do something because I wouldn't want it done to me. Neither of these reasons involve religion.
    edited October 2010
    When it comes to morals atheists are more sincere about it than Christians. Some Christians do charitable work out of guilt or some other reason.

Religion has its pros and cons, but why does everyone magnify cons? So what if hypocritical pastors, rabi's, clergy members say something and do another. The thing that matters the most is the relationship between you and your God (regardless of what religion it is). Religion teaches us discipline, values, and good morals. As long as it helps us not become selfish, then I'm all for it. So what if I die and there's no heaven for me, "if there is no God". At least I tried to live a good life.

Religion is definitely over exaggerated, but ain't everything else is?
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited October 2010
    When it comes to morals atheists are more sincere about it than Christians.

This. Religious people only do good things in order to get into heaven, so ultimately it becomes a selfish act. They don't give a shit about anyone except themselves. Fuck religion! Fuck you DirtySanchez you troll!
    edited October 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    This. Religious people only do good things in order to get into heaven, so ultimately it becomes a selfish act. They don't give a shit about anyone except themselves. Fuck religion! Fuck you DirtySanchez you troll!

I'm not a troll. You should also know that you hurt my feelings:sad: Seriously though I'm not trolling. I just have my beliefs and I will speak them.
    edited October 2010
    "I got the spirit of an angel mixed with demoniac ways of living./
    So this means I'll beat the evil out of a non-believer until praise is given./
    But I know Torture is evil though it says in the Bible/
    You got to be Righteous spirited for the arrival/
    I'm righteous and wicked but I wonder, can I go?/
    If there's a heaven but on earth it's survival/
    Connected with angels but to demons I'm vital/
    Approaching with hate oh yes it's Homicidal/"

Why do I relate to this? lol
    edited October 2010
    ^ Regarding these this lyrics. Here's the song. Check it out. I got that God complex.:o
    edited October 2010
    I think that if the bible were a lie then there would be chaos until someone else came around with a new deidy for people to put their faith in. We need a god or multiple gods to keep "peace" in the world because without it then it doesn't matter what you do because we all end up in the same place.

The thing here is that religion has become like a drug. Hence 'opiate of the masses.' Those that believe fervently in it can't live without it. It isn't that religion creates 'peace,' it's that it is required to keep certain people sane. It is the root of the problem, not the solution. Like a drug that's been addicted to for a long time, it is almost impossible to get rid of.
  • edited October 2010
    Well what are your morals based on? Why not only look out after yourself if there is no moral consequence to your actions? That may work for some but most people I think would turn into murderous psychopaths the second religion were to disappear. Karl Marx was right when he said religion is the opiate of the masses in the sense that it's what keeps the vast majority from downgrading to the level of primates. I know I would be out fucking kids and killing if it weren't for the morals religion provides and I'm not sure most people are all that different.

My morals are based on my own experiences in life, I keep my nasty side in check, and try to do some good once in a while because that is the person I have decided I want to be.

By limiting the source of personal morality to religion you ignore the social nature of humanity. We have a co-operative instinct that is a product of evolution, most people will go with what the tribe wants because be have been bred to crave the approval of those around us.

I see religion as an expression of this tribal instinct as well, we find those with similar moral character, and surround ourselves with them so our actions and viewpoints are re-enforced by our peers.

I think the reason so many people in this thread have brought up the negative aspects of religion relates to human nature as well. When we reject or oppose a philosophy we look for things we don't agree with to justify this position, and as usual, blind ourselves somewhat to to the aspects of it we would agree with otherwise.

C/O
    "no funny comments while I'm having my morning tea, sorry"
    edited October 2010
    My morals are based on my own experiences in life, I keep my nasty side in check, and try to do some good once in a while because that is the person I have decided I want to be.

By limiting the source of personal morality to religion you ignore the social nature of humanity. We have a co-operative instinct that is a product of evolution, most people will go with what the tribe wants because be have been bred to crave the approval of those around us.

I see religion as an expression of this tribal instinct as well, we find those with similar moral character, and surround ourselves with them so our actions and viewpoints are re-enforced by our peers.

I think the reason so many people in this thread have brought up the negative aspects of religion relates to human nature as well. When we reject or oppose a philosophy we look for things we don't agree with to justify this position, and as usual, blind ourselves somewhat to to the aspects of it we would agree with otherwise.

C/O
    "no funny comments while I'm having my morning tea, sorry"

LOL I'm not ignoring human nature you are bro. Humans without religion would lose all morals because at out nature humans are evil. Just look at the city's after Katrina. There was robbery murder looting galore. Read lord of the flies. Even though it's fiction it's pretty accurate about how humans act without law and order.
    edited October 2010
    ^ You mean without laws and government people will loot, murder and go crazy.
    edited October 2010
    ^ You mean without laws and government people will loot, murder and go crazy.

Those laws against theft and murder are based on religous principals such as the ten commandments. If religion was proven to be a lit then where would the basis for these morals come from? WHY would it be wrong to kill for example?
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    No. It's not great instructions. It does not teach morals. It teaches violence, ignorance, hypocrisy, prejudice and is horrible. Religion impedes science and progress. It always has.

Religion is the science of the soul. How you worship is upto you.....everybody's doing it.
    edited December 2010
    proudclod9 wrote: »
    Religion is the science of the soul. How you worship is upto you.....everybody's doing it.

Religion is not science.

There is no proof souls exist, they are a religious concept from pre-biblical times (See: Egypt).

How you worship is dictated by religious norms and more often rules as laid down in religious texts (See: Islam).

Most people in Europe are secular , except the muslim invaders, and more people in the US are non-religious than there are blacks.
    edited December 2010
    Religion is not science.

There is no proof souls exist, they are a religious concept from pre-biblical times (See: Egypt).

How you worship is dictated by religious norms and more often rules as laid down in religious texts (See: Islam).

Most people in Europe are secular , except the muslim invaders, and more people in the US are non-religious than there are blacks.

I didn't get anything from that, sorry.
    edited December 2010

Go to school.
    edited December 2010
    Religion is not science.

This true and was one of the biggest holes In religion that led to me abandoning it. The fact that I was Christian was determined by the fact I was born in America where if I had been born in Iran the chances are I'd be a Muslim. So how can God punish people for not believing if belief is determined by Geography?
    edited December 2010
    This true and was one of the biggest holes In religion that led to me abandoning it. The fact that I was Christian was determined by the fact I was born in America where if I had been born in Iran the chances are I'd be a Muslim. So how can God punish people for not believing if belief is determined by Geography?

Take it one step further: How can you punish people for their skin color if they're born in Africa?

*mind is blown*
    edited December 2010

lern2reed :facepalm:
    edited December 2010
    Take it one step further: How can you punish people for their skin color if they're born in Africa?

*mind is blown*

Race isn't about skin color it's about other genetic factors. I just don't want them here in my Country. I believe in separatism more than supremacy.
  • edited December 2010
    I just don't want them here in my Country.
    here in my Country.
    my Country

native+american.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I would be fine with the idea of whites giving America back the Indian but only if every non white invader left Europe.
    edited December 2010
    Sounds like a fair compromise to me.
    edited December 2010
    lern2reed :facepalm:

That cut me Deep.

But really, faith isn't a given.

Saying there's NO such thing as a soul?

C'mon, that's one of the most dismissive statements I've ever heard.
    edited December 2010
    That cut me Deep.

But really, faith isn't a given.

Saying there's NO such thing as a soul?

C'mon, that's one of the most dismissive statements I've ever heard.

You fail at reading. I'm going to paste what I said" There is no proof souls exist, they are a religious concept from pre-biblical times (See: Egypt)."

I did not say there's no such thing. I said there is no proof they exist.
    edited December 2010
    You fail at reading. I'm going to paste what I said" There is no proof souls exist, they are a religious concept from pre-biblical times (See: Egypt)."

I did not say there's no such thing. I said there is no proof they exist.
    so that means you don't BELIEVE in such a thing.
    Don't play me as a fool.
    edited December 2010
    I'll let you in on a little secret:

God
    Allah
    Yahweh

Connection? Yes.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll let you in on a little secret:

God
    Allah
    Yahweh

Connection? Yes.

never noticed that before
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited December 2010
    I would be fine with the idea of whites giving America back the Indian but only if every non white invader left Europe.

That's my take on it.
  • edited December 2010
    On the subject of religion stopping crimes for fear of hell...

Religion does not stop crimes because there are no consequences in the afterlife apart from the mortal sin (abortion and such). Hell is mostly reserved for the nonbelievers all the sinners need to do is simply confess their sins and ask for forgiveness and then they have a clean slate into heaven.

And our laws are not based off a morality set for us in the bible. Our laws are based on common sense. We cant have a civilized society if people are running around murdering, raping and stealing from each other. Its common sense to punish these crimes, religion has nothing to do with it.
    edited December 2010
    The thing that really confuses me about the bible is that Jesus talks about different PARTS of heaven and hell. I'd have to whip out the good book to get the quote, but anyone know what I'm talking about?