Foods that remind you of your childhood.

edited February 2011 in Life
I had cheese and crackers for lunch today, I was busy as hell and needed something besides coffee in my guts. For some reason the simple repast sparked a weird memory trip. As I ate a lot of images from specific moments in my childhood came to mind.

When I was a kid and my mother had to work past when I got home from school, I would go to my grandparents place. I would sit down to watch Inspector Gadget, and Video Hits, or whatever was on, and my Granny would bring me a plate of cheese and crackers, sometimes with some sliced home made dill pickles. Yum.

There is a powerful connection between food and memory, so please post about any foods that remind you of being a kid, and why they trigger those memories.

C/O
"I miss my Granny, R.I.P."

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    There used to be these little biscuit sweets in the UK (last I saw them was now in Chinatown, Soho) but anyway, they are biscuit on the outside and chocolate in the middle. They also had little characters painted on them in a chocolate glaze.

Remember sitting by the river in Richmond, London after a meal at a pub with all my family. The last time we were all together.

Edit - Cheese and crackers also do it for me. Maybe with the odd slice of apple :D
  • edited January 2011
    That edible paper stuff with pictures printed on it.

This isn't completely relevant, but when I was little, they made Pokemon cereal which was awesome. It was basically Lucky Charms but with pokemon marshmallows, and it was the most epic thing I have ever eaten. They stopped making it after a month or so, and I've actually been gutted ever since :(
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    my mother used to make me this eggnog type thing, where the eggs were kind of chunky. vanilla was added. it was quite nice in winter
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • edited January 2011
    I appreciate and encourage your long winded nature. Please post more long sentimental diatribes that I may masturbate to them along with my extensive collection of Norman Rockwell paintings of little boys in baseball uniforms.

You are such a sweetheart, Fatty.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    Famous Amos cookies, and White Rabbit candies with the edible paper.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Not that I've had them recently, but dunkaroos, lunchables, sprees....I'm totally healthy. ha:fap:
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Ritz crackers with ham and cheese and bread with sugar and butter on top.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    Bug Juice and Baby Bottle Pops too.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Ploughmans pickle. If we were eating at our allotment, we would allways hav a jar of this to go with the veg we had pulled and the little bit of ham or cheese we brought and some crusty bread. Happy times.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Ploughmans pickle. If we were eating at our allotment, we would allways hav a jar of this to go with the veg we had pulled and the little bit of ham or cheese we brought and some crusty bread. Happy times.

Not to stray too far off topic but that reminds me of a lunch I used to get at a joint in Las Vegas called the British Bulldog Pub. It was owned and operated by twin brothers from England and was one of the few bars n Vegas that did not have gambling machines built into the bar top.

They had a item on the lunch menu called "The Ploughmans Lunch". It consisted of a fresh baked hard roll, 3 or 4 slices of cured ham, an assortment of 5 or six strong cheeses (you know the kinds with the mold on it the actual types of cheese vaired day by day), a serving of mincemeat, a pickled onion, and bog whole pickle.

As far as comfort foods from childhood I fondly recall a grilled cheese sandwich with a hot bowl of cream of tomato soup full of sea shell macaroni the my mother would often make for lunch on a cold winters day. I still like to eat this on a cold day especially after removing a couple of feet of snow from my property.
  • Z28Z28 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Apples and cheese. Tastes good man.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Tater tots and mozzarella sticks.

I used to eat that right after school on Fridays while watching Arthur on PBS.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    They had a item on the lunch menu called "The Ploughmans Lunch". It consisted of a fresh baked hard roll, 3 or 4 slices of cured ham, an assortment of 5 or six strong cheeses (you know the kinds with the mold on it the actual types of cheese vaired day by day), a serving of mincemeat, a pickled onion, and bog whole pickle.

That is exactly it. Good British (especially English) food is what is in season and what has been preserved well. It is about honest food - this is what it is - and about food that has been preserved well. I make my own bacon and when I preserve it, it is brick hard - I know I can eat it after a year of hanging, god knows it might still be fine after 25 years.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    That is exactly it. Good British (especially English) food is what is in season and what has been preserved well. It is about honest food - this is what it is - and about food that has been preserved well. I make my own bacon and when I preserve it, it is brick hard - I know I can eat it after a year of hanging, god knows it might still be fine after 25 years.

I get my beef, chicken, and pork from they guy 3 lots up the road from me. I get most of my veggies from the Amish farms around me excpet during the winter months. The store bought food is all the junk and snacks I am addicted to LOL.
  • edited January 2011
    Pigs in a blanket do it for me. Hot dogs rolled in dough. I loved them as a kid.

Also, eggs sunny side up with some toast. My grandma made it for me all the time when I was younger and for some reason it always reminds me of sitting at her kitchen table eating it. I have eggs and toast almost every morning and I still get the same warm feeling inside when I dip my bread in the yolk.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    Local meat my grandfather butchered.(Owned a Grocery store/meat counter after Korea) After he died I've never gotten the same quality of meat.

Grew up on it as a kid. Aside from my out of country stint, I would come down once a year and help him, and take some shit home for my girlfriend and myself.

Know your butcher/meat cutter- they'll treat you well. I've yet to find a local butcher that's worth a shit. My little bro has a good guy and I'm jealous.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    Soup reminds me of my grandmother. She is dead now.
    edited January 2011
    Soup reminds me of my grandmother. She is dead now.

Don't be too descriptive there, you almost reminded me of soup. :o
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Mole and Sloppy Joes, for some reason. Also homemade lemonade.

Last, but not least, squid cocktail.
  • highwaystarhighwaystar Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Dunkaroos for sure. And Nutter Butters and bologna.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Don't be too descriptive there, you almost reminded me of soup. :o

Specifically vegitable soup. Her house smelled like that and moth balls and a feint paper mill smell. I just brought a bunch of veg soup home from work because we stopped selling it. Seems like I'll be thinking about death more often.

Better?
  • edited January 2011
    Death and soup, a healthy totsean needs plenty of both!
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    My grandparents had an apple tree in their front yard. My and my siblings would never let the fruit ripen. We would climb up and eat them when they were still small and sour.

Another one is garlic bread from the school canteen. The kind were it was mainly butter and just a faint smell of garlic. They were 10c a slice and they always ran out in ten minutes. The entire school would bolt down to the canteen, plenty of people fell on the way, some were pushed. They had to stop selling them when too many kids got hurt.

Our canteen lady was a racist, she would make sure all the white kids got what they wanted before any of the foreigners.
  • edited January 2011
    Hummus, Droë wors and Biltong, Cadbury chocolates, Chicken and rice (Often with peppers, sliced chorizo, corn, peas, etc), salads and pizza.
  • MrBennMrBenn Regular
    edited January 2011
    Heinz choc pudding in a tin...steamed and then served with cold custard. Not had it in years.
  • edited January 2011
    Hummus, Droë wors and Biltong, Cadbury chocolates, Chicken and rice (Often with peppers, sliced chorizo, corn, peas, etc), salads and pizza.

Droe wors and Biltong? I have been around a bit, but South African foods are pretty much a mystery to me. I love cured meat though, so either looks pretty damn good. Your hummus method was excellent, but how about posting something like Biltong? If you post something really uniquely South African, I(or someone else) will publish it to the Articles, and it could really help totse by drawing hits on search engines.
    MrBenn wrote: »
    Heinz choc pudding in a tin...steamed and then served with cold custard. Not had it in years.

Hot pudding, cold custard. Giggidy! Thanks for reminding me, I am going to steam some fig and raisin pudding tomorrow and have it with nice cold custard.

Another one of my childhood favorites comes to mind, and I am going to go to the cheap shit store tomorrow to get the gear to make it; Jello mutherfuvkin pudding pops.

C/O
    "this is my favorite thread"
    edited January 2011
    Hummus

Always loved Hummus. Never knew any Jews or Islamic's until I met my fiance'. That jew bitch, and that stupidass Oil/Religion war(I'm an atheist.). Don't care. I will dominate those poor bastards again for more REAL tasting hummus... And smokes. Goddamnit. GODDAMNIT. MORE FOR REAL HUMMUS/SMOKES:o
    edited January 2011
    Also OP should have said NOT FUCKING RICE.

We alllllll know rice is the goddamn staple of human existence. That's not original, you stud fuckers.
  • edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Always loved Hummus. Never knew any Jews or Islamic's until I met my fiance'. That jew bitch, and that stupidass Oil/Religion war(I'm an atheist.). Don't care. I will dominate those poor bastards again for more REAL tasting hummus... And smokes. Goddamnit. GODDAMNIT. MORE FOR REAL HUMMUS/SMOKES:o

Speaking of Jews, I read recently that Israelis consume on average, 2x as much hummus as Arabs.
  • edited February 2011
    That zebra stripe gum with the tattoos on the wrapper.. You just lick your hand and stick the wrapper tattoo side down and you've got a smeared portrait of a zebra rollerblading, or playing soccer, or whatevs..
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited February 2011
    ^ that gum smells so good. remember big league chew?
  • edited February 2011
    Halupki, Meatloaf and pork chops, still can't beat em