Career goes on tangent, no longer a cook.

edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Fuck cooking up the ass with a knife sideways, I am done with the biz. Recent events in my work life have proved to me that the career path I have chosen was good for what I needed it to be in my 20's and 30's, but not suitable for what I need at this point in my life. I was going to go back to foundry work(cooking with metal:thumbsup:), but my roomate just got me hired as a sheet metal apprentice, so boooYA, away we go.

The reasons for my jumping ship on my trade are in a rant entitled"Fuck cooking" in Bitch and Moan.

Point of thread: Have you ever done a career 180 and taken off on a totally different tangent? If so, why did you change? Did it work out for you or did you go back to your original profession?

C/O
"I will always be the culinaryoverlord, I'm just not a cook anymore"

Comments

• TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know if this is a 180, but I was going to school for computers, got certified and everything, but could not find work. I saw an add for FedEx in the paper and applied. I got the job (although anyone with out a criminal background WILL get hired if we need people) and I've been there for the last 5+ years.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm still set on my career path of working with computer systems, and I really hope I don't jump ship and go with something else in the end.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I've worked in kitchens in the past and know just how much of a drag it can be. Kudos for hopping ship, and hope things work out :) Pretty lucky your roommate has that lifestyle/job.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Taken too many 180 turns in my life. I hope this works out for you mate.
  • PhilosoraptorPhilosoraptor Regular
    edited February 2011
    I used to work at Hollister, but then I became a rocker and play in a band/work at an accounting office. That's like a clusterfuck career change.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    Go to a country where that bullshit does not matter and where experience does.

You are at a point where you would naturally analyse your life. You have looked at it and assumed something cannot be overcome. Get back into it sooner, you will in the end anyway and do what you have to do.

You will end up bitter if you walk away from it.
  • TSAoDTSAoD Regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know if this is a 180, but I was going to school for computers, got certified and everything, but could not find work. I saw an add for FedEx in the paper and applied. I got the job (although anyone with out a criminal background WILL get hired if we need people) and I've been there for the last 5+ years.

My situation is similar to this, I eventually lost interest for it.

I have no idea what I'm going to do, no goals or passion for anything, luckily I've been good with my money over the years.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    TSAoD wrote: »
    My situation is similar to this, I eventually lost interest for it.

I have no idea what I'm going to do, no goals or passion for anything, luckily I've been good with my money over the years.

Yes, I think something like only 20-30% of people end up working in the field they were looking to go into unless they do a semi vocational qualification from joinery to doctoring.

Employers wised up years ago that kids with degrees did not mean shit. Unless you are qualified in something that has its own trade association, guild, college or royal ascent, qualifications just tell an employer you are capable of some kind of thought.

Unfortuanatly, universities have been churning out mindlessly taught simpletons for years. Since educational eshtablishments have been taken over at a slow pace by the reds, they have done their damage.

No longer are you based on the evidence of what you are capable of, it is a fact that all too often it is based on the whim of some one who works in a particular organisation.

If you have no other plan, go and get some shit end job and work your way up. If you are as good as you think you are, you will be promoted very quickly.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited February 2011
    I find that metallurgy is a lot like baking.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    Mantikore wrote: »
    I find that metallurgy is a lot like baking.

Yeah but it's a lot more badass.

foundry.jpg