Lets talk about adding some color to lighting - cheaply!

lifeofbeanlifeofbean New Arrival
edited March 2011 in Life
So it seems to me that a cheap, $7 clamp light is just as capable as a $30+ studio light. I currently have two of these (found at walmart, home depot, etc), one has a socket rated for 250 watts, the other has a socket rated for 600 watts. Both have cords heavy enough to handle several amps, though their UL listing only allows up to 150 watts.

So toss a cheap 200 watt bulb in each and viola, lighting on the cheap, as long as you have a place to attach the lights. Obviously, the more pricy lights will be better made, and will be easier to use with proper stands. It's ghetto, it's hot as hell, but it works.

My dilemma right now though, is trying to figure out if I can somehow adapt a filter holder to these things, and find color gels that will work with these and also stand up to the heat of 200 watt incandescent bulbs.

I've seen a few 12x12 filter holders that can clamp on, but they're all at least $30. I want cheap(er), if possible.

Suggestions? Discussion?

dxxp9f.jpg

Comments

• KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm... well there are some gel filters that can handle the heat of such a lamp, but remember, a 200 watt incandescent may put out all of 10 watts of light. Filtering that will just reduce the light output even further.

Instead of creating a fire hazard, why not just use LEDs? In packs of 100 they are cheap as hell, and you'd be surprised at the amount of light 100 LEDs can put out. Using a perfboard, some resistors and a soldering iron you'll have quite a lot of colored light.

Yet another option is to use a high powered CFL lamp, which will still make heat, but a hell of a lot less of it.
  • lifeofbeanlifeofbean New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    You do have a good point about CFLs - and since they've come down quite a bit in price, they're a good option as long as you can get matching ones. They're kind of hard to find in a compact package when you're dealing with high lumen outputs though.

Part of the reason I'm still using incandescent is they're easier to dim, and when dimmed, have a unique look to them. They're also a bit easier to aim. I actually like creating sharp contrast and shadowy effects.

That said though, 13 watt color CFLs are surprisingly cheap - $3.99 at Fry's for red, green, orange, yellow, blue, or blacklight. I snagged a few today, going to play with them a bit.

I'm browsing Amazon right now though, I'm seriously considering snapping up a 12" filter holder and a bunch of gels.

edit: I wound up ordering a filter holder and gels from Andorama - the filter holder is supposed to fit 8" reflectors, the ones I have are 8.5" with a large lip and made of soft metal, so I'm sure I can make them work.