Make a few hundred bucks, quickly [Published]

buddhabuddha Regular
edited May 2011 in Man Cave
Basically all that this requires is to have a house.

Place an ad in the local paper as a house for rent. Obviously having no intention of renting the house.

Tell them you/current residents, are moving out on the first or whatever, but you can still show the house. That way they won't question all the furniture and shit.

Let people know there will be a $25-40 charge for a credit check when they submit the application. (This is a pretty common practice)

After a week or two, call all the applicants and tell them they weren't approved, or you found someone else.

Keep the money, but never actually do the credit checks.

PROFIT!

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Seems like a plan but I doubt you can keep repeating it and some people just mind get a bit nosy about this.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Seems like a plan but I doubt you can keep repeating it and some people just mind get a bit nosy about this.

Might be able to do it a few times a year for a week or two. I wouldn't try it very often though.
  • edited April 2011
    My bro got scammed in a similar way, except he got taken for an extra $200 to "secure" his rental of the property. As usual, BI serves a dual purpose on this one, how to scam, and how not to get scammed. Unfortunately for the person who scammed my bro, he placed an ad for the same property on Craigslist a few weeks later, this time it was me and some friends who responded.

C/O
  • GIGATRON88GIGATRON88 Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    What information do you need from the prospects to complete a credit check?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    GIGATRON88 wrote: »
    What information do you need from the prospects to complete a credit check?

If you actually wanted to do one, or make it look convincing. Full name, DL #, SSN, and birth date.

I've got an application from a guy I work for that owns a bunch of houses and apartments, I'll try scanning it later.
  • dipsomaniacdipsomaniac Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    ROFL, this is fucking hilarious. I'm sure there are people that make a (semi) living this way.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    ROFL, this is fucking hilarious. I'm sure there are people that make a (semi) living this way.

Sadly, yes.

I'll be looking for an apartment soon.

Wish me luck.