Yakuza helping with relief effort in Japan

buddhabuddha Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Basically using money they have extorted from the people to help the people.

Here's the story.

http://www.businessinsider.com/japan-yakuza-mafia-aid-earthquake-tsunami-rescue-efforts-2011-3

Comments

• edited April 2011
    An interesting article, not just for the main story, but for the back story provided about the Yakuza. It is definitely in their interests for things to get back to normal as quick as possible, cash must be flowing for them to make money.
  • edited April 2011
    If they want big money, they should just begin extorting very wealthy Japanese people and foreigners.

Pay X amound of dollars/whatever to our relief fund or we'll collect your fingers.
  • edited April 2011
    If they want big money, they should just begin extorting very wealthy Japanese people and foreigners.

Pay X amound of dollars/whatever to our relief fund or we'll collect your fingers.

Rings pretty true to me. Landed immigrants doing well are a prime target for extortion because they don't trust local authorities. Lots of sketchy charitable organizations exist simply to act as fronts for money extorted from ethnic communities.

C/O
    "Someone carry this one on, I gotta sleep."
  • edited April 2011
    Rings pretty true to me. Landed immigrants doing well are a prime target for extortion because they don't trust local authorities. Lots of sketchy charitable organizations exist simply to act as fronts for money extorted from ethnic communities.

C/O
    "Someone carry this one on, I gotta sleep."

I remember after one of the last Tsunamis the Yakuza were handing out baby diapers and other necessities to people without access to them... Kinda funny, since a good portion of those mothers might well have been Yakuza prostitutes...

It's helpful to them also in the sense that as well as the economic prosperity being an issue, but it also gives them good PR; kind of like Hezbollah giving out aid in the Middle East
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    Interesting read. :cool: